• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheaper alternatives to Photoshop? (1 Viewer)

Decision taken

Thanks everyone for your inputs - I have finally taken the plunge and bought Paint Shop Pro X - the latest version and I'm really pleased with it (Approx £50 from Amazon)

Mickymouse said:
Something I have just thought of, what burner software have you got I ask because I have just fitted a new burner and the Nero 6 software that came with it has a neat little photo editing application included they call it Nero photo snap. Worth a look if you have Nero.

Mick
hey Mick: Also got a new burner recently and have Nero Express 6 bundled with it. Is this the same as Nero 6, cause I can't find "photo snap" anywhere in my program?

Craig :h?:

I found it by accident one day (I am still running W98 if that's relevant) I clicked on start>programs looked down the list and there was Nero with a little arrow next to it, hovered on that and some more sub menus appeared and Photosnap was amongst them, I just draged it off there and dropped it on the desktop, hope it works for you, this is what it looks like.

Mick

Attachments

• photosnap.jpg
    photosnap.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 139
Also, have you considered a computer fair? Sometimes you can get older versions of Photoshop quite cheap and then you can upgrade it to the latest version (as long as it isn't registered that is). I saw a CS2 upgrade, boxed, the other day for just under £90
Just a thought.

Kevin said:
Thanks everyone for your inputs - I have finally taken the plunge and bought Paint Shop Pro X - the latest version and I'm really pleased with it (Approx £50 from Amazon)
Kevin,
Good choice!!

I've just begun using Gimp, and decided to put it on my workstation at work, so I emailed my IT Manager ~

Hi Ben,

Not sure if you know this programme, Gimp, but I'd like to install it on my work laptop. It's a Linux programme, I'm going to have to install a runtime environment too, apparently.

Is this ok? Anything I need to know or am I safe to go ahead and do a local install?

Ben replied:

It's an excellent programme, we have it installed on all the graphics machines at the campus building. Out of curiosity, what are you using it for?

I replied:

Thanks for that, Ben.

You know I do a bit of birdwatching from time to time; well, I've just bought a camera and have been taking some photos through the telescope - a technique called digiscoping. Given that I'm using a 3x zoom on the camera, and usually 30x on the scope, many of the images aren't that sharp and need a bit of tweaking. So I was looking for a programme that has a function similar to the Unsharp Mask in Photoshop that was open source.

Ben replied:

Sir,

Can I just make sure I've got this right: YOU WANT TO TOUCH UP BIRDS USING A GIMP MASK?

Ben's now unemployed ;)

Paint shop pro 10.03

:loveme: It make sizing down and sharpening a breeze. I cound`nt imagine being without it. :t:

John,
LIke most PSP users, it appears that you have used version 7 for so long that you are very comfortable with it and still use it. I do too. However, I do think that version 9 is a marked improvement, and you should try to use it more and more, because you will find it to be more powerful and just as easy to use once you get used to it.

I know that PSP 8 had some stability issues, but I think version 9 fixed that. I say I "think" because I have switched to using version 10. I can report that version 10 is extremely stable. As I mentioned on another forum, I spent weeks editing a very large image with as many as 30 layers, working on it for hours at a time, and PSP 10 didn't crash or even hiccup even once during this whole operation! I know Corel has a reputation for delivering somewhat unstable programs, but not in the case of PSP10.

Interesting. Hopefully they have straightened out a few of the wrinkles caused by the transition from Jasc to Corel - e.g. some old tools replaced, but the old tools still available via customization.

I'm a complete novice, photostudio 5.5 came with my Canon 350D - is this a decent bit of software for a beginner? It didn't come with a manual so I'm using trial and error at present.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back