• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chickadees/Tits (1 Viewer)

Gentoo

Just looking for a good discussion where I can learn something. Basically, I'm interested in the relationships between them. Four Species; Willow Tit, Black-Capped Chickadee, Marsh Tit and Carolina Chickadee are so similar in appearance that they often cannot safely be distinguished by appearance. Only voice and in some cases range separates them. A fifth species, the Mountain Chickadee, looks a bit different but it's whistled song is almost identical to Black-Capped Chickadees but has three notes rather than two.

Anyone have any thoughts of interesting info?

I believe Mountain Chickadee was one of those species which DNA barcoding suggested might actually be composed of two species. I think there are slight morphological differences as well between the Pacific Slope and Mountain populations. Not sure if the molecular work has been done

Based on the published mitochondrial phylogeny of Gill et al (2005), the genus Poecile consists of all North American chickadees plus various similar Old World species like those you mentioned. The Old World species are the basal members of this group, while the seven North American species (Carolina, Black-capped, Mexican, Mountain, Boreal, Chestnut-backed, and Gray-headed (Siberian)) form a group within the genus. The mtDNA places Carolina as sister species to Mexican, Black-capped as sister to Mountain, and the other three brownish species as a group. However, some friends in my lab are working on an exhaustive study of these relationships using a large number of nuclear markers that changes up the species tree for the North American chickadees. See the abstract below, from the 2009 AOU meeting, but note that those were preliminary results and further analysis and loci continues to change the picture. I can't wait for the publication :)

Harris, R. B., Carling, M. D., Lovette, I. J.,
A PHYLOGENOMIC STUDY OF CHICKADEES REVEALS THEIR EVOLUTIONARY HISTORY
Abstract: The behavior and ecology of the New World chickadees have been studied extensively, but there is still no well-resolved molecular phylogeny for this model avian group. A previous mtDNA-based phylogeny found that Carolina Chickadees and Black-capped Chickadees are not each other’s closest relatives despite forming a well-studied hybrid zone where their breeding ranges overlap along a contact zone stretching across much of North America. Furthermore, the mtDNA–based phylogeny was unable to resolve the relationship between Mexican Chickadees and Mountain Chickadees. To further elucidate these relationships, we reconstructed a phylogeny of the New World chickadees using DNA sequence data from 25 nuclear loci. Trees constructed using both Bayesian and Maximum Likelihood methods supported the same topology. We found a sister species relationship between Carolina Chickadees and Black-capped Chickadees, which is discordant with the previous phylogenic hypothesis between these species. In addition, we found strong support for the placement of Mexican Chickadee as sister to Mountain Chickadee. These results underscore the value of using multiple loci to infer phylogenetic relationships between closely related species.

Gill, F.B., Slikas, B., Sheldon, F.H. 2005. Phylogeny of titmice (Paridae): II. Species relationships based on sequences of the mitochondrial cytochrome-B gene. Auk 122(1):121-143.

Abstract: We present a phylogenetic hypothesis for 40 species in the bird family Paridae, based on comparisons of nucleotide sequences of the mitochondrial cytochrome-b gene. Parids, including tits and chickadees, are an older group than their morphological stereotypy suggests. The longest cytochrome-b distances between species reach 12% in uncorrected divergence. With the exception of one thrasher-like terrestrial tit species of the Tibetan plateau (Pseudopodoces humilis), morphological and ecological stasis have prevailed since the initial parid radiation in the Old World during the mid-Tertiary.
All trees support monophyly of the family Paridae, which includes Parus (sensu lato) and the monotypic Oriental genera Sylviparus, Melanochlora, and Pseudopodoces. Within the clade of chickadees and gray tits (Parus, subgenus Poecile), three Old World species, Parus lugubris of the eastern Mediterranean and Balkan regions, P. superciliosus of high elevations in the Himalayas of western China, and P. varius of the Orient are sisters to all other species. The Eurasian crested titmice (subgenus Lophophanes) and North American crested titmice (subgenus Baeolophus) are sister groups. Our data suggest two colonizations of the New World by parids in the late Tertiary. The ancestor of modern Baeolophus colonized North America ∼4 mya, and the ancestor of all North American chickadees colonized North America ∼3.5 mya.

Last edited:
Black-capped and Mountain are sister species. So are Carolina and Mexican Chickadee, but these two are basal to all other North American chickadees. Marsh and Willow Tit are sister species, which also comprise a clade (with Rusty-breasted Tit) that is one step more basal then the Carolina/Mexican clade. All this comes from Gill et al. 2005.

I believe Mountain Chickadee was one of those species which DNA barcoding suggested might actually be composed of two species. I think there are slight morphological differences as well between the Pacific Slope and Mountain populations. Not sure if the molecular work has been done

I took a quick look at the Gill paper. The two gambeli subspecies were sampled - they are monophyletic but 4.5% divergent. If anyone wants a pdf of this paper shoot me a PM with your email.

Wow! This is some very good reading. I had no idea that Carolina and Mexican were sister species. In fact I wasn't thinking about Mexican or any of the brown species for that matter. Perhaps because morphologically, they are easier to distinguish.

So If I'm understanding this correctly; Chestnut-Backed, Boreal and Gray-Headed/Siberian Tit form one group? Black-Capped, Mountain, Carolina and Mexican form another while the Marsh and Willow Tits belong to a third?

Black-capped Chickadee

Pravosudov, Roth, Forister, LaDage, Burg, Braun & Davidson (in press). Population genetic structure and its implications for adaptive variation in memory and the hippocampus on a continental scale in food-caching black-capped chickadees. Mol Ecol. [abstract]

Chestnut-backed Chickadee

Lait, Friesen, Gaston & Burg (in press). The post-Pleistocene population genetic structure of a western North American passerine: the chestnut-backed chickadee Poecile rufescens. J Avian Biol. [abstract]

Mountain Chickadee

Manthey, Klicka & Spellman 2012. Is gene flow promoting the reversal of Pleistocene divergence in the Mountain Chickadee (Poecile gambeli)? PLoS ONE 7(11): e49218. [article] [pdf]

Boreal x Black-capped Chickadee hybridisation

Lait, Lauff & Burg 2012. Genetic evidence supports Boreal Chickadee (Poecile hudsonicus) × Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) hybridization in Atlantic Canada. Can Field Nat 126(2): 143–147. [abstract] [pdf]

[With thanks to Ron Pittaway for reporting on NBHC ID-FRONTIERS.]

Last edited:
I am probably not awake yet, but I read the title to indicate presence of a hybrid zone. Abstract says "a" hybrid which is a very different thing.

Niels

Not the same paper Richard, this one is Pravosudov, V. V. et al., 2013. Differential hippocampal gene expression is associated with climate-related natural variation in memory and the hippocampus in food-caching chickadees. Mol. Ecol. 22: 397-408.
Oops, you're right Daniel. Pravosudov is too productive, and I'm too hasty! :t:

Ground Tit

Qingle Cai, Xiaoju Qian, Yongshan Lang, Yadan Luo, Shengkai Pan, Yuanyuan Hui, Caiyun Gou, Yue Cai, Meirong Hao, Jinyang Zhao, Songbo Wang, Zhaobao Wang, Xinming Zhang, Jinchao Liu, Longhai Luo, Yingrui Li, Jun Wang, Rongjun He, Fumin Lei & Jiaohui Xu, 2013. The genome sequence of the ground tit Pseudopodoces humilis provides insights into its adaptation to high altitude. Genome Biology, 14:R29 doi:10.1186/gb-2013-14-3-r29.
Provisional PDF

Black-capped x Carolina Chickadee hybridisation

Davidson, Sattler, Via & Braun (in press). Reproductive isolation and cryptic introgression in a sky island enclave of Appalachian birds. Ecol Evol. [abstract] [pdf]

Ground Tit

Qingle Cai, Xiaoju Qian, Yongshan Lang, Yadan Luo, Shengkai Pan, Yuanyuan Hui, Caiyun Gou, Yue Cai, Meirong Hao, Jinyang Zhao, Songbo Wang, Zhaobao Wang, Xinming Zhang, Jinchao Liu, Longhai Luo, Yingrui Li, Jun Wang, Rongjun He, Fumin Lei & Jiaohui Xu, 2013. The genome sequence of the ground tit Pseudopodoces humilis provides insights into its adaptation to high altitude. Genome Biology, 14:R29 doi:10.1186/gb-2013-14-3-r29. Provisional PDF
Forthcoming...

Qu, Zhao, Han, Zhou, Song, Gao, Tian, Zhang, Zhang, Meng, Zhang, Zhang, Zhu, Wang, Lambert, Ericson, Yeung, Zhu, Jiang, Li & Lei. (in press). The genome of a jay-like tit reveals insights into its adaption to Tibetan plateau. Nat Comms. [SMNH]
Abstract
The ground tit (Parus humilis) is endemic to the Tibetan plateau. It is a member of family Paridae but it was long thought to be related to the ground jays because of their morphological similarities. Here we present the ground tit's genome and re-sequence two tits and one ground jay, to clarify this controversially taxonomic status and uncover its genetic adaptations to the Tibetan plateau. Our results show that ground tit groups with two tits and it diverges from them between 7.7 and 9.9 Mya. Compared with other avian genomes, ground tit shows expansion in genes linked to energy metabolism and contractions in genes involved in immune and olfactory perception. We also found positively selected and rapidly evolving genes in hypoxia response and skeletal development. These results indicated that ground tit evolved basic strategies and 'tit-to-jay' change for coping with the life in an extreme environment.
[I still prefer 'Hume's Groundpecker'.]

PS. Note placement in Parus – as IOC, contra Gosler & Clement 2007 (HBW 12), BirdLife, Clements.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back