• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chiffchaff song/call (France).. chance for Iberian? (1 Viewer)

Gduff

I've heard yesterday a Chiffchaff call / song that is uncommon to me.
I recorded a poor file but you can hear enough.

Here's what I think:
- I don't know if the sound I've heard is the start of an incomplete song, or a call
- if it's a call, it's clearly not the usual ascending 'huit' of a Common Chiffchaff, but rather a softer descending 'chief', as you can see on the first sonagram image.
- the bird was calling/singing with regularity, a 'chief' ~ every 2 seconds. Do Common Chiffchaffs do that?
- sometimes you think it will sing, with a faster rythm, but then stops. Listen at 00:00:10, 00:00:20, 00:00:27 and look at the second sonagram file.
- when it starts its song, this incomplete song has a fast rythm that reminds me of Iberian Chiffchaff
- I checked on Xeno Canto, and several Iberian Chiffchaffs produce incomplete songs, as if they were stopping after the first 3-4 'chief chief': for example http://www.xeno-canto.org/277455

I could not manage to see the bird, and I didn't try any playback.

My final question is: is there any chance that it's not a Common Chiffchaff, and that it would be worth to go back there (because it's 45 min away from me by car...)?

Thank you

Attachments

• cc.mp3
    435.1 KB · Views: 40
  • sonagram1.jpg
    sonagram1.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 15
  • sonagram2.jpg
    sonagram2.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 13
I'm not hearing Iberian - whose call sounds a bit like a distant Little Ringed Plover. The call on your recording sounds a bit like a Common Chiffchaff autumn/post breeding call type to me and the song's tone is all CC.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back