• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

China Birding Notes (1 Viewer)

Hi Craig

It does look interesting, but I don't think this is Greenish Warbler, which always shows an all-yellow lower mandible.

Not sure what to make of it, but you might consider Willow Warbler.

Cheers
Mike

Hi Craig

It does look interesting, but I don't think this is Greenish Warbler, which always shows an all-yellow lower mandible.

Cheers
Mike

Thanks! Regarding the lower mandible of Greenish, Per Alström (in that PDF I mentioned) talks of the "dark tip" of the lower mandible of Greenish. The photos that Per uses of Greenish show varying amounts of black on the lower mandible. Also, my photo collection shows some Greenish with black on the lower mandible.

Last edited:

Hi Mike, Jonathan Martinez wrote me privately and opined that the bird is "very likely" a worn Arctic-type Warbler (Jonathan actually said "Arctic Warbler"). After reading your concerns about the bill as well as Jonathan's, I'm thinking that the bird in question is most likely an Arctic-type Warbler. After all, here in Jiangsu, it's more likely that one will encounter a worn Arctic-type Warbler than a Greenish Warbler, as Arctic Complex Warblers are currently among the more common leaf warblers around here. Thanks also for the suggestion of Willow Warbler.

Last edited:
Hi Mike, Jonathan Martinez wrote me privately and opined that the bird is "very likely" a worn Arctic-type Warbler (Jonathan actually said "Arctic Warbler"). After reading your concerns about the bill as well as Jonathan's, I'm thinking that the bird in question is most likely an Arctic-type Warbler. After all, here in Jiangsu, it's more likely that one will encounter a worn Arctic-type Warbler than a Greenish Warbler, as Arctic Complex Warblers are among the more common leaf warblers around here. Thanks also for the suggestion of Willow Warbler.

Agree this is an Arctic type. It has a short clear wing bar on the greater coverts which is wrong for any form of willow warbler.

cheers, alan

This Ashy Drongo is a survivor. He knows his way down the coast, and he knows how to stay alive. He caught and ate this dragonfly right in front of me. Could you imagine walking hundreds or thousands of kilometers twice each year and living off the land while you did it? And yet that's what this Ashy Drongo and millions of other birds do. The Ashy Drongo is running mainly on instinct, but it's still amazing what he's able to accomplish. This bird has my respect. Photo taken today at Yangkou, Rudong, Jiangsu, China.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    434.3 KB · Views: 29
Arctic/Greenish Warbler

I gave Craig my personal opinion, without having read the above comments about the 'Arctic'/Greenish wabler, but perhaps is of interest to post it here as well: In my eyes this is an 'Arctic' Warbler, although it is not typical due its fluffy appearance. I think the bill is too strong for Greenish, and it is not up-turned (like in Red-throated Loon) which is often the case in Greenish. I think the primary projection is still long enough to be too long for Greenish Warbler and the primary tips on the folded wing is more evenly spaced in Greenish.

Last edited:
... In my eyes this is an 'Arctic' Warbler, although it is not typical due its fluffy appearance. ...

It's obvious that I mis-"read" the bill on the bird I photographed. You and other contributors are noting both the strength and color of the bill and saying its more typical of the Arctic Warbler Complex. Thank you.

In Yangkou last week, amid a steady diet of Yellow-browed Warbler, Eastern Crowned Warbler, & Arctic Complex Warblers, Michael Grunwell and I were happy to find this Two-barred Warbler. The always useful Collins Bird Guide (2nd ed.) has this handy little nugget regarding Two-barred: Re the bar on the greater coverts, Lars Svensson says, " ... broader (rule of thumb: broader than tarsus)." Our Two-barred bears this rule out. The bar on the greater coverts is indeed broader than its tarsus. The attached photo shows a single individual, and the photos were taken seconds apart.

Attachments

• warbler,-two-barred005.jpg
    warbler,-two-barred005.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Early Record of Brambling in Shanghai Region

This past Saturday and Sunday Oct. 11-12, Elaine and I visited Lesser Yangshan Island (Xiǎo Yángshān [小洋山]). On Saturday, we viewed, but could not manage to photograph, a Brambling. A check on birdtalker.net showed only one other record (11 Oct. 2007) of Brambling so early in the fall in our area (Nanhui-Chongming-Yangshan). Other highlights Saturday were 1 Brown Hawk-Owl, 1 Black Kite, and 1 Peregrine Falcon. Shots of Hawk-Owl attached.

Attachments

• owl,-brown-hawk008.jpg
    owl,-brown-hawk008.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Arctic Complex Warbler Showing Classic Features

This specimen shows many of the classic features of the Arctic Warbler Complex. Besides the characteristics pointed out on the photo, note also the slim, long-necked, short-tailed appearance, so important in forming that first impression. Photo taken Sat. 11 Oct. 2014 on Lesser Yangshan Island, Zhejiang.

Attachments

• arctic-type-warb.jpg
    arctic-type-warb.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
'Backyard Birding' at Zhongshan Park!

The closest I get to backyard birding is at Zhongshan Park, a large green space 6 km W of People's Square in Chángníng (长宁), Shanghai. A good thing about this type of birding is that it is not an excursion (I live a 5-minute walk from the park), it requires no planning, and it doesn't take up a big part of the day--and yet it is birding. Occasionally, remarkable birds show up, as for example the Varied Tits that I enjoyed at Zhongshan in 2012, and the Grey Nightjars that can be seen there regularly at dusk in September.

These past two days, the most fun was had battling glare and finally getting a good enough view of the Yellow-browed Warblers to determine the species, as well as discerning, through the blaring exercise music being played by the old folks, the thin call of a Grey-backed Thrush--and searching, searching, searching the trees high above until a female Grey-backed appeared. Here's the tally so far:

Mon. 13 Oct. 2014
Shanghai

Site 1. Zhongshan Park, Shanghai (15:00-17:00)

Spotted Dove: 3 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-13
Japanese Tit: 2 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-13
Light-vented Bulbul: Ca. 20 at various locations at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-13
Yellow-browed Warbler: 3 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-13
Chinese Hwamei: 1 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-13. This bird, seen high in the trees and singing unnaturally loudly, is undoubtedly an escapee.
Vinous-throated Parrotbill: Ca. 10 (flock) heard calling from and rustling around in thick bamboo at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-13
Common Blackbird: 3 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-13
Mugimaki Flycatcher: 2 females at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-13
Eurasian Tree Sparrow: ca. 30 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-13
White Wagtail: 2 leucopsis at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-13

Tues. 14 Oct. 2014
Shanghai

Site 1. Zhongshan Park (07:35-09:05)

Spotted Dove: 9 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-14 (a.m. session)
Long-tailed Shrike: 1 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-14 (a.m. session)
Japanese Tit: 1 heard at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-14 (a.m. session)
Light-vented Bulbul: Ca. 25 (ca. 20 heard only) at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-14 (a.m. session)
Grey-backed Thrush: 4 (1 heard only) at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-14 (a.m. session)
Common Blackbird: 6 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-14 (a.m. session)
Oriental Magpie-Robin: 1 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-14 (a.m. session)
Mugimaki Flycatcher: 2 females at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-14 (a.m. session)
Yellow-browed Warbler: 5 (2 heard only) at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-14 (a.m. session)
Vinous-throated Parrotbill: Ca. 25 (flock) at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-14 (a.m. session). As I was viewing this flock, which was foraging close to the ground, one of the many feral cats in the park pounced. The cat caught nothing but was intent on making a kill, so much so that even after I started running toward the cat to shoo it away, it made one final attempt at a catch before scampering off.
Eurasian Tree Sparrow: Ca. 70 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-14 (a.m. session)
White Wagtail: 1 leucopsis at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-14 (a.m. session)
Chinese Grosbeak: 4 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-14 (a.m. session)

The beautiful fall weather enticed Elaine and me to visit the park for the second time today.

Site 2. Zhongshan Park (16:25-17:35)

Spotted Dove: 7 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-14 (p.m. session)
Long-tailed Shrike: 2 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-14 (p.m. session)
Common Magpie: 3 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-14 (p.m. session)
Japanese Tit: 1 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-14 (p.m. session)
Light-vented Bulbul: Ca. 20 (ca. 14 heard only) at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-14 (p.m. session)
White's Thrush: 1 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-14 (p.m. session)
Grey-backed Thrush: 3 (1 male, 1 female, 1 heard only) at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-14 (p.m. session)
Common Blackbird: 6 (2 heard only) at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-14 (p.m. session)
Oriental Magpie-Robin: 3 (pair plus lone male) at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-14 (p.m. session)
Rufous-tailed Robin: 1 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-14 (p.m. session). The robin perched on a rock and emitted a short, shrill call. I'd never heard a Rufous-tailed Robin vocalize.
Mugimaki Flycatcher: 1 female at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-14 (p.m. session). As darkness was falling, this bird emerged from bushes on the island in the pond in the middle of the park. It alighted on a lily pad in the pond and sipped water.
Phylloscopus sp.: 1 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-14 (p.m. session). From the other side of the pond at the back of the park, we faintly heard the "dweet" of what was probably a Yellow-browed Warbler. But as the sound was competing with the sound of a man practicing the saxophone, we couldn't hear the "dweet" clearly enough, and we therefore cannot remove Pallas's Leaf Warbler from consideration.
Vinous-throated Parrotbill: 13 (flock) at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-14 (p.m. session)
Eurasian Tree Sparrow: Ca. 30 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-14 (p.m. session)
White Wagtail: 2 leucopsis at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-14 (p.m. session)
Tristram's Bunting: 2 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-14 (p.m. session)

Last edited:
Zhongshan Park in Shanghai is 100 years old this year. Like any old park, it has many tall trees. Some of the best birding action is going on high above; birdwatchers at Zhongshan should be prepared for sore necks. Yesterday and this morning, Elaine and I continued to dig up fairly interesting species at the inner-city park. Attached: photos of Yellow-browed Warbler. Photos taken in Jiangsu, not Zhongshan, but attached here because of the great many Yellow-browed Warblers currently in Zhongshan Park.

Wed. 15 Oct. 2014
Shanghai

Site 1. Zhongshan Park (16:30-17:30)

Spotted Dove: 5 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-15
Long-tailed Shrike: 1 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-15
Japanese Tit: 8 (5 heard only) at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-15
Light-vented Bulbul: Ca. 21 (Ca. 10 heard only) at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-15
Common Blackbird: 3 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-15
Grey-backed Thrush: 2 heard at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-15
Oriental Magpie-Robin: 5 (2 male, 2 female, 1 heard only) at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-15
Red-flanked Bluetail: 1 female or 1st-yr. male at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-15
Yellow-browed Warbler: 4 (1 heard only) at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-15. Today, yesterday, and the day before yesterday, we've been scrutinizing the leaf warblers we've been seeing, and they're all checking out to be Yellow-broweds. One began calling today, possibly in response to the manic calls of the nearby Chinese Hwamei, giving us a good chance to study the "dweet" or "su-eet" call and note its differences from the "dweet" call of Pallas's Leaf Warbler.
Chinese Hwamei: 1 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-15. This bird was noted in the same area as the Chinese Hwamei of 2014-10-13 and is probably the same bird. Undoubtedly an escapee.
Eurasian Tree Sparrow: 7 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-15. We somehow missed the large flocks today.
White Wagtail: 2 leucopsis at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-15

Thurs. 16 Oct. 2014
Shanghai

Site 1. Zhongshan Park (07:20-08:40)

Spotted Dove: 6 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-16
Long-tailed Shrike: 1 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-16
Japanese Tit: 5 (2 heard only) at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-16
Light-vented Bulbul: Ca. 42 (ca. 20 heard only) at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-16
Japanese Bush Warbler (Horornis diphone canturians): 1 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-16. Slightly rufous on crown. Brownish above, contrastingly brownish-grey below, pale buff eyebrow, bill black with orange on base of lower mandible. Not tiny; size of robin. Silent. Bird seen at 07:35 in a tree hanging over a pond; the tree is often used by birds on their way to getting a drink. Bird seen clearly (except tail) by Elaine Du and Craig Brelsford for 5 seconds. IOC places ssp. canturians in Japanese Bush Warbler, not Manchurian Bush Warbler.
Black-throated Bushtit: 10 (flock) at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-16
Yellow-browed Warbler: 6 (1 heard only) at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-16
Common Blackbird: 9 (3 heard only) at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-16
Oriental Magpie-Robin: 2 (1 female, 1 heard only) at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-16
Mugimaki Flycatcher: 2 females at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-16
Eurasian Tree Sparrow: Ca. 40 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-16
Chinese Grosbeak: 8 (flock of 6, plus 2 loose individuals) at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-16. On adult male, I noted white tips to primaries and secondaries as well as more extensive black hood (compare Japanese Grosbeak).

Mammals

Pallas's Squirrel: 1 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-16

Attachments

• warbler,-yellow-browed025.jpg
    warbler,-yellow-browed025.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 23
  • warbler,-yellow-browed026.jpg
    warbler,-yellow-browed026.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Rufous-tailed Robin at Zhongshan Park, Shanghai

Today at Zhongshan Park in Shanghai, another Rufous-tailed Robin delighted us. Tristram's Buntings made an appearance, and we got close views of the common but beautiful Black-throated Bushtit. Two other migrants, Mugimaki Flycatcher and Yellow-browed Warbler, contained their sustained presence in the park.

Thurs. 16 Oct. 2014
Shanghai

Site 2. Zhongshan Park (16:40-17:35)

Black-crowned Night Heron: 1 juv. at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-16 (p.m. session)
Spotted Dove: 2 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-16 (p.m. session)
Japanese Tit: 2 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-16 (p.m. session)
Light-vented Bulbul: 4 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-16 (p.m. session). As I arrived late on an overcast day, the bulbuls had already begun to retire--thus the low number.
Black-throated Bushtit: 8 (flock) at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-16 (p.m. session)
Yellow-browed Warbler: 3 (1 heard only) at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-16 (p.m. session)
Common Blackbird: 3 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-16 (p.m. session)
Oriental Magpie-Robin: 2 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-16 (p.m. session)
Mugimaki Flycatcher: 1 female at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-16 (p.m. session)
Vinous-throated Parrotbill: Ca. 15 (flock) heard at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-16 (p.m. session)
Eurasian Tree Sparrow: 9 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-16 (p.m. session)

Mammals

Pallas's Squirrel: 1 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-16 (p.m. session)
Bat sp.: 5 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-16 (p.m. session). Large, with powerful wingbeats making for straight, steady flight--not erratic, fluttering flight typical of some bat species. Circles pond at elev. of ca. 20-50 m.

Fri. 17 Oct. 2014
Shanghai

Site 1. Zhongshan Park (16:40-17:40)

Spotted Dove: 2 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-17
Long-tailed Shrike: 1 heard at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-17
Japanese Tit: 2 heard at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-17
Light-vented Bulbul: Ca. 38 (ca. 30 heard only) at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-17
Black-throated Bushtit: 7 (flock) at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-17
Yellow-browed Warbler: 2 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-17
Phylloscopus sp.: 1 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-17. The bird may have been a Two-barred Warbler (Phylloscopus plumbeitarsus), but I can't rule out Yellow-browed Warbler (P. inornatus). With the glare and the quick moves and swift disappearance of the specimen, it was impossible to make out some of the distinctive features of Yellow-browed, such as the black "shadow" near the wingbar on the greater coverts. Here are the notes I took at the time: "Silent. Two bars seen. Can't determine whether shadow there or not. Flitting, restless behavior could fit either sp. Seen in spot where other Yellow-browed commonly seen, but that doesn't say much, as a spot good for one Phylloscopus sp. could be good for others."
Common Blackbird: 4 heard at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-17
Grey-backed Thrush: 2 (1 female, 1 heard only) at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-17
Oriental Magpie-Robin: 5 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-17
Rufous-tailed Robin: 1 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-17. A single individual jumped from "Cat-free Island" across the pond to the "mainland." Cat-free Island and its pond are near the center of Zhongshan Park. The numerous feral cats in the park tend to stay off the island, making it a sanctuary-within-a-sanctuary for birds.
Red-flanked Bluetail: 1 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-17
Mugimaki Flycatcher: 1 female at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-17. Spotted by Elaine!
Eurasian Tree Sparrow: Ca. 25 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-17
Tristram's Bunting: 3 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-17

Mammals

Bat sp.: 2 at Zhongshan Park on 2014-10-17. Probably same sp. as 2014-10-16 (p.m. session).

Last edited:
Interesting about bats, thought I spotted one this evening: the constant flapping but slowish movement didn't seem like any bird. Similar to the one you described it went fairly straight, maybe 25 feet high or so - just dusk so I didn't see a lot. I felt a bit shocked as it seems so late in the season, but I don't know enough about bats to even know if they migrate or hibernate. It was a very warm day.

Hi!
So I just spent two Days in Huangshan, Anhui. Not mainly for birding, stuck on the tourist trail, but still som good observations, including:

Eurasian jay, red-billed blue magpie, red-flanked bluetail, daurian redstart, plumbeous water-redstart, mugimaki fc, little forktail, coal & japanese tit, red-rumped & asian house martin, light-vented & mountain bulbul, y-b & palla's leaf warbler, greater necklaced laughingtrush, streak-breasted scimitar babbler, pygmy wren babbler, red-billed leiothrix, striated yuhina, japanese white-eye, olive-backed pipit, brambling, slaty bunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back