• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

clutch/hand strap for small spotting scope? (2 Viewers)

iseegeorgesstar

United States
Hey,

I once saw a picture on these forums of a hand/clutch strap for one of the small nikon straight spotting scope. (Sorry, I don't remember which post.)

Like the way there was a handstrap to hold old school camcorders for example. Picture I found off google images:

My question is are there any small straight spotting scopes that have this feature now? That lets you hold/stabilize the spotting scope in one hand so you can hold it your face more accurately for a better viewing experience. I presume this will only really work with the straight spotting scopes that have the small finger turning focuser like on the kowa.

What 60mm straight spotting scope and accessories are people using handheld for quick long-distance views on their nature walks?

Thanks for your thoughts and expertise.

I once saw a picture on these forums of a hand/clutch strap for one of the small nikon straight spotting scope. (Sorry, I don't remember which post.)
I've got one of those. It can also be used on the angled ED50 no problem. Don't use it though because I don't use any scope handheld (except for the Zeiss 20x60 S Mono, but that's an entirely different kettle of fish).
My question is are there any small straight spotting scopes that have this feature now? That lets you hold/stabilize the spotting scope in one hand so you can hold it your face more accurately for a better viewing experience. I presume this will only really work with the straight spotting scopes that have the small finger turning focuser like on the kowa.
I don't know any scope other than the ED50 that has this feature now. If you really want one, you'll have to make one yourself. I think that's well possible.

However, if I want to use the ED50 handheld, I much prefer to use a shoulder pod like the old Novoflex "Pistock-C": Brust- und Schulterstütze. That gives you far more stability than any clutch strap. You may find one used somewhere, the old Novoflex Schnellschussobjektive were very common before autofocus arrived on the scene. Some other makers like Cullmann also made such shoulder pods, however, the Novoflex is by far the best I know.

Hermann

If I had no mono/tripod on me and nothing nearby to use as a support I would prefer an angled scope and would securely hold it pressed close to my chest to keep it as securely as possible. Straight through would be harder to hold still, especially with one hand. The lower the magnification the easier. I tried a monopod with my 60mm and found it still to unsteady even though it took the weight and provided a degree of stability.
The chest pod looks like a good option

Peter

[...] I don't know any scope other than the ED50 that has this feature now. [...]
KOWA offers one for the TSN-55x:

Kowa TSN-HD Hand Strap​

Werner

I've got one of those. It can also be used on the angled ED50 no problem. Don't use it though because I don't use any scope handheld (except for the Zeiss 20x60 S Mono, but that's an entirely different kettle of fish).

I don't know any scope other than the ED50 that has this feature now. If you really want one, you'll have to make one yourself. I think that's well possible.

However, if I want to use the ED50 handheld, I much prefer to use a shoulder pod like the old Novoflex "Pistock-C": Brust- und Schulterstütze. That gives you far more stability than any clutch strap. You may find one used somewhere, the old Novoflex Schnellschussobjektive were very common before autofocus arrived on the scene. Some other makers like Cullmann also made such shoulder pods, however, the Novoflex is by far the best I know.

Hermann
Yes I was wondering how plausible a DIY option would be.

I'm not sure I've ever heard of a shoulder pod. Maybe only once before. Thank you for putting it on my radar. I have a torn shoulder (old injury) and forward-head leaning posture so I don't know how plausible it would be for me to use such a device. But truth be told, when holding handheld binos I do sometimes try to brace my arms with my other arm or on my chest so maybe this might be an option.
If I had no mono/tripod on me and nothing nearby to use as a support I would prefer an angled scope and would securely hold it pressed close to my chest to keep it as securely as possible. Straight through would be harder to hold still, especially with one hand. The lower the magnification the easier. I tried a monopod with my 60mm and found it still to unsteady even though it took the weight and provided a degree of stability.
The chest pod looks like a good option

Peter
Very interesting! Thank you so much for sharing your first hand experience. (Pun not intended. Lol). I don't know how plausible it would for me to lean my head down like that into an angled scope though. I'm someone who would get a neckache for easily that way I think.

I was thinking/imagining of bracing the arm holding the scope with the other one or on myself or I guess on some object like a tree potentially.

My monopod is currently broken but I wouldn't want to use it anyone.

Also I have no delusion's about being able to use long distance zoom handheld of course. Sometimes my regular binos shake too much, other times theyre okay.
KOWA offers one for the TSN-55x:

Kowa TSN-HD Hand Strap​

Werner
Exactly what I was looking for and wondering about! It seems the nikons aren't the only ones.

I wonder if this would work on the 501/502 and not just the premium 553 with flourite.

Thank you for the link.

Edit: Link mentions both series.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back