• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cole Valley (1 Viewer)

Evening All,

Had a nice walk today starting from the Drawbridge and following the Stratford Upon Avon canal to pass under high street bridge before turning off to enter Priory fields Nature Reserve which upon entering a wood pecker was audible in a tree but not visible. Following the path and keeping to the right to get a view over the mill pond plenty of activity but nothing out of the ordinary and no little egret that was present over the weekend.

Walking out onto priory road I crossed over to go down Slade lane to turn left into the nature reserve along this stretch a Cettis was singing and a nice pair of Bull finches present walking out onto Scribbers lane a Heron was fishing in the ford.

Walking into Trittiford park and taking the path to the right to go anti clockwise around the pool a pair of Male Pochards gave entertaining viewing continually diving under the water. Several Herons were present along the stream to the right fishing and a lovely Mistle thrush.

Certainly a pleasant walk on a very mild January day will try to extend it when time permits to follow the Cole through the dingles to Sarehole Mill and hopefully catch sight of some kingfishers.

Zeberdy

Evening All,

Had a nice walk today starting from the Drawbridge and following the Stratford Upon Avon canal to pass under high street bridge before turning off to enter Priory fields Nature Reserve which upon entering a wood pecker was audible in a tree but not visible. Following the path and keeping to the right to get a view over the mill pond plenty of activity but nothing out of the ordinary and no little egret that was present over the weekend.

Walking out onto priory road I crossed over to go down Slade lane to turn left into the nature reserve along this stretch a Cettis was singing and a nice pair of Bull finches present walking out onto Scribbers lane a Heron was fishing in the ford.

Walking into Trittiford park and taking the path to the right to go anti clockwise around the pool a pair of Male Pochards gave entertaining viewing continually diving under the water. Several Herons were present along the stream to the right fishing and a lovely Mistle thrush.

Certainly a pleasant walk on a very mild January day will try to extend it when time permits to follow the Cole through the dingles to Sarehole Mill and hopefully catch sight of some kingfishers.

Zeberdy

A Cetti's ??

Des.

Shoveler

3 x shoveler at Trittiford mill pond today and also a common gull, both are firsts for me at trittiford.
also one little egret still present at the old mill pond :)

Sunday 8.00 River Cole - Hall Green
I've not seen the kingfisher on the Sarehole section of the Cole this year so did a run from Trittiford to Stratford Rd. Glad to say two kingfisher were present half a mile a part. Both did the two tone call but not as loud yet as what I heard last year during the mating season. Great!

Last edited:
Walked from Stratford Road to Scribers Lane and back this morning; good views of kingfisher in The Dingles, also saw male bullfinch, siskin, GSW, 6 pochard and 4 tufties but no raptors or little egrets seen :-(

One Little Egret along the Cole today at Hall Green in trees.

Des.

Attachments

• P1100565 (640x534).jpg
    P1100565 (640x534).jpg
    311 KB · Views: 27
lovely walk from priory fields to sarehole mill

had lovely walk today quite a few birds to mention and a few that have had us thinking to be honest...amazing.
bluetits, mallards etc not included =)

priory fields -
3 xlittle egrets by priory fields
2x Nuthatch feeding on tree
1 siskin in tree and flew off
3x goldfinches maybe mre
6x long tailed tits
song thrush

walk from slade lane by brook to trittiford
1x heron flew away
1x wren
8 x robins
3x goldfinches
2x mistle thrush
2x Raven

Trittiford
3x male pochards
1 female pochard
1x tufted duck (male & female)
1x great crested grebe
2 x swans displaying

dingles - sarehole mill
mistle thrush
grey heron
goldfinch
long tailed tit
coal tits
great tits

(bit darker due to trees so hard to get numbers here)

gutted no kingfisher today hopefully another day o:)

Kingfisher pair - River Cole

gutted no kingfisher today hopefully another day o:)

Sunday 8th March 11.00 - Sarehole Mill
After yesterdays pair of kingfisher on the Rea, a pair of kingfisher on the Cole today. I could see a kingfisher sat on one of it's favoured perches. Got a really bad photo from a distance. Then as I got closer it flew off, into the hedge/trees behind, leaving another one sitting where it flew off from. Then I realised - two kingfisher!! Great!! It was not far down from last years photo following;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/14087905403/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/14044733426/in/photostream/
I then followed them up the river and heard them a couple times on the John Morris Jones Walkway.

Saturday 14th March 6.30 River Cole, Sparkhill
An early morning run along the Cole, I got all the way to Sparkhill bridge. I turned to run back and heard the call, then out of the corner of my eye, on a river perch, a kingfisher just visible in the murky light, keeping an eye on me. It was then disturbed by a dog walker and I lost sight of it. As I ran back to Sarehole it went past me giving it's call. I then saw it a few more times up and down the river around Sarehole. Great!!

Sunday 15th March 7.30 River Cole
I ran the full length of the Cole from Trittiford to Sparkhill and back. I thought I had heard the kingfisher early on but did not see it. Then I took one more look before leaving and it was behind Sarehole Mill. it crossed the green next to Sarehole Mill to the Mill pond where I heard it a few times. This is last years photo on the Mill pond;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/15616286538/

Saturday 21st March, Sarehole Mill. 7.30
Song Thrushes singing, feeding and pairing up around Sarehole Mill. I thought I heard a KF call as it went down the river. Then I checked the Mill pond and found a kingfisher fishing. I saw it catch a fish and stun it on a branch. Long distance photo to follow. Great!!

Sunday 29th March 7.30 River Cole
I ran the full length of the Cole from Trittiford to Sarehole and back. I thought I had heard the kingfisher early on but did not see it. Then I took one more look and it was behind Sarehole Mill again. This seems to be a repeat of the other week. It quietly flew off and then was quite vocal further down, perhaps it caught a fish. I am trying to work out where the nest is, I had a good idea last year but not sure yet this year.

Trittiford and the Dingles

Lovely day round Trittiford and The Dingles Lots of chiffchaffs round trittiford and the dingles and a blackcap, song thrush, tree creepers, nuthatches, 4 Jays together never seen four together before lol two great spotted woodpeckers one at trittiford one at the dingles kingfisher at the the dingles and one at scribbers lane.
Also at Trittiford a Willow Warbler :) four Greenfinch which is nice to see because numbers are declining so hopefully they will breed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back