• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collared Dove egg hatched (1 Viewer)

Dale5

Hi all,

You may remember in February I posted about my Collared Dove nesting in the Yew Tree, but after a while the 2 eggs in the nest were abandoned.

Well the doves nested again and i had a quick glimpse into the nest this morning and there was a baby dove in there. Couldn't see a 2nd baby. But am very pleased that a youngster is in there, it looks really healthy as well. ;)

So I am happy and hope that all goes well for parents and young, will try and get some pictures when I can. :D

Best Wishes,

Dale :hi:

Wonderful news Dale, let's hope the weather warms up to help them along! Keep us posted! :clap: :clap:

Dale5 said:
Hi all,

You may remember in February I posted about my Collared Dove nesting in the Yew Tree, but after a while the 2 eggs in the nest were abandoned.

Well the doves nested again and i had a quick glimpse into the nest this morning and there was a baby dove in there. Couldn't see a 2nd baby. But am very pleased that a youngster is in there, it looks really healthy as well. ;)

So I am happy and hope that all goes well for parents and young, will try and get some pictures when I can. :D

Best Wishes,

Dale :hi:

Hi Dale, that is great news, as everyone else says, hope the weather warms up soon for them.

Scott

Hi Dale,
Brilliant news, I hope all goes well, and will look forward to pics.
All the best, Judo.

Hi Dale

So pleased to hear your news and can't wait to see your pics. As Pam says lets hope the weather starts to get warmer for it.

Hi all,

Just thought I'd post some pics of baby dove, they were taken on Wednesday afternoon. If you look closely, you may be able to spot the unhatched egg to the left of the dove on the 2nd picture.

Checked on baby dove this morning, is doing very well, starting to hold head up now. The parents are doing a grand job. o:D

Sorry about the darkness on the last pic, it was late afternoon. It shows the proud parents, the nest is located behind the greenhouse in the Yew Tree.

Best Wishes, :t:

Dale

Attachments

• nature 004.jpg
    nature 004.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 37
  • nature 005.jpg
    nature 005.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 41
  • nature 006.jpg
    nature 006.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 35
Well what a cutie Dale, the parents are certainly doing a grand job :t: I always think how vulnerable their nests look though, don't you?

Weather much milder today, thank goodness!!

A squirrel has just had a nice chunk of basket liner off one of my wall baskets, he/she shinned up the Ivy next to it to reach it, I expect I will be doing a repair job tomorrow!!

Keep us updated on the little one |=)|

All together now, AAAAHHHHH! ain't it cute!
Thanks for the piccies Dale, excellent shots they are too. Please keep us updated(with more photos if poss.) as to its progress.
All the best, Judo.

Hi Dale

Thank you for those great photos. I always wanted to know what a young collared dove looks like. Now I know. It is sweet isn't it. :hippy: Really cute fluffy thing.

Liebchen

Hi Dale,

I've never seen a young collared dove before either. Doesn't he/she look just like it's mum and dad, you can definitely see the family resemblance LOL!!!

Great pics, thanks very much!

:t:

Hi Dale and thanks SO very much for sticking to your word to keep us posted about them. Wonderful news and beautiful photos! I've never seen a young Dove either, Cathy.

Thanks so much Dale, let's hope that second egg (definately visible) will hatch too.

Hi Dale,

Fantastic photos, I expected it to be a very funny little thing but in fact its gorgeous. You are so lucky to be able to just see into the nest like that, if it was me I would be spending all my time watching it and never getting anything done.

Thanking you,

Great news and they are so easy to recognise when they leave the nest because they don't have the black collar.

The pics. are lovely Dale and soooooooo looking forward to the update. :loveme:

Hi all,

Thanks for all your nice comments. Glad you all liked the photo's. :hi:
They came out really well. I agree the dove is a cutie. o:D

Baby dove sleeps by itself overnight now, parents do not stop in nest.
Must be growing up. o:)

Don't think it's too far from fledging now, may be sometime over the next week. Let's hope the weather is mild and dry for the doves.

Will update you, when I have more news.

Dale :t:

Ooooh late as usual.

Very nice pics Dale..never seen a young 'un before either..and isnt he/she just so sweet.

Best wishes

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back