• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collins bird guide 3rd edition in an App (1 Viewer)

I'm not upgrading, I shouldn't have to see a permanent advert for the new version in my app though. I can't get rid of that.
View attachment 1555341
This was annoying me too, but I have found a way to remove it:

1.Open app
2. Click three horizontal lines at top left to open menu
3. Click settings
4. Scroll to bottom, it is possible to hide third edition there
5. No more banner 🙂

I've upgraded the Android version to third edition but it keeps downgrading. I've emailed about it and they are looking into it. Anyone else having this issue?

EDIT - just noticed at least two others up thread with the same problem.

I've upgraded the Android version to third edition but it keeps downgrading.
Apply the currently-available update. They had 2-3 goes at it without effect (or, at least, a couple of updates after the 3rd-edition upgrade failed to fix it), but it is now corrected (for me anyway, and I did suffer from this for quite a long time after upgrading so it was presumably a universal problem). If you've recently been told that they're still working on it, you presumably heard that from somebody who either a) doesn't actually know what's going on at the sharp end and just sent you a standard message, or b) is stupid.
It's still a shamefully-poor apology for a field-guide app.

Apply the currently-available update. They had 2-3 goes at it without effect (or, at least, a couple of updates after the 3rd-edition upgrade failed to fix it), but it is now corrected (for me anyway, and I did suffer from this for quite a long time after upgrading so it was presumably a universal problem). If you've recently been told that they're still working on it, you presumably heard that from somebody who either a) doesn't actually know what's going on at the sharp end and just sent you a standard message, or b) is stupid.
It's still a shamefully-poor apology for a field-guide app.
No it's the managing director of Nature Guides and she has been working hard to sort me out. It appears that it's some oddity to do with my Google account having two connected email addresses.

I'm fairly happy with the app to be honest, although there are some errors and some functionality problems... What is your favourite field-guide app? I don't have much experience of them...

No it's the managing director of Nature Guides and she has been working hard to sort me out. It appears that it's some oddity to do with my Google account having two connected email addresses.

I'm fairly happy with the app to be honest, although there are some errors and some functionality problems... What is your favourite field-guide app? I don't have much experience of them...
Haven’t tested it much, but appears I have the exact same issue - seem to able to restore purchases (third version and videos), but they don’t seem persistent.

I tried to upgrade on Android, the Google account confirmed the purchase but nothing further happened...

Basically, I paid the update, Android acknowledged it and now it suggests to buy the update again. No black swan. I will try again when I have more time.

Go in to settings and click the email button. They are really trying hard to sort out my issue. The head programmer is now working on it.

Basically, I paid the update, Android acknowledged it and now it suggests to buy the update again. No black swan. I will try again when I have more time.
Same, third edition doesn’t persist for me. I click restore purchases and it returns.

I had the same issue for a while. I had to click on the three lines, open any of the options and then go out again for content to appear. It was like that for a few weeks but all working fine now.

It was like that for a few weeks but all working fine now.
As I explained above, this is because the app was updated 2-3 times during this period. It was only the last of these updates that fixed the repeated-downgrade problem.
Anybody still experiencing the problem should check first that they have installed the latest update (ie post-upgrade update) from Google Play Store.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back