• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collins bird guide 3rd edition in an App (1 Viewer)

Use the email button in settings. The more who report the harder I expect they'll work to fix it.
Have now done as it does seem to be an ongoing issue, now I have tested it a little more.

I previously have emailed them re the non-restoring purchases, which they did fix, but similar to yourself I reckon my second Play account must be causing issues.

I've just had mine lose the Third Edition again and my app is fully up to date.

So will see what NatureGuides have to say.

The head developer, Joe, has been working all weekend on my issue and has now resolved it (we think!). It was to do with the fact that the Play Store was telling the app that I didn’t own the third edition in one place, and in another piece of code was saying I did own it. The correct information was being sent to the app first and was then overridden by the incorrect information. Why this was happening is not entirely clear (could be my Huawei phone or could be my Google account) but anyway it is this overriding that Joe has put a stop to and he'll be rolling out the new version of the app via a Play Store update once he's absolutely certain that it has fixed the issue.

Great service from the Nature Guides head of programming to be working on this all day today - on a Sunday too!

The head developer, Joe, has been working all weekend on my issue and has now resolved it (we think!). It was to do with the fact that the Play Store was telling the app that I didn’t own the third edition in one place, and in another piece of code was saying I did own it. The correct information was being sent to the app first and was then overridden by the incorrect information. Why this was happening is not entirely clear (could be my Huawei phone or could be my Google account) but anyway it is this overriding that Joe has put a stop to and he'll be rolling out the new version of the app via a Play Store update once he's absolutely certain that it has fixed the issue.

Great service from the Nature Guides head of programming to be working on this all day today - on a Sunday too!
Fingers crossed that’ll sort me out too

Fiona from NatureGuides e-mailed me yesterday to let me know the new update which should fix the problem was ready to download and after doing so the Third Edition reappeared.

So it's now working as it should and with any luck it will stay that way.

All NatureGuides need to do now is make all their other Apps available for Android, then I'd be well happy.

Third edition definitely more stable now, no issues so far with that for me since the latest update. I have reported an issue with the videos though, which will hopefully get sorted too.

I purchased the app in October 2023 and I thought it would of been the latest 3rd edition as the paperback 3rd edition was way before this date ? Got a message to upgrade for £7.99 so out of date already after 3 months 🤔

Apparently a language can be selected in the app, for example Dutch. Do I understand correctly that if a language other than English is chosen, only the bird names will be translated? And will that name be translated on all screens where it appears?

Apparently a language can be selected in the app, for example Dutch. Do I understand correctly that if a language other than English is chosen, only the bird names will be translated? And will that name be translated on all screens where it appears?
All text is translated, English names seem to be used throughout however.

I don’t think Dutch is an option though (here in the UK in any case), just English, German, French, Swedish and Norwegian.

I don’t think Dutch is an option though
Thank you. Reviews in the Android Play Store mention Dutch, but it is not clear to may if all text or only names are translated. And if for example one can search in Dutch but everywhere else the English names are used, than it would be not so nice to me.

I would expect the Android version to be the same as iOS so here is a screenshot from iOS version with the language switched to Dutch. The species name are Dutch everywhere and you can search for the Dutch names.

However the language of species accounts remains unchanged (so they will be in English if you buy the App). As there is separate German version of the App provided by NatureGuides(Der Kosmos Vogelführer) the species accounts are in German for me taking the species accounts from the German version of the book. I don‘t think there is fully translated Dutch Version though.

IMG_8047.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back