• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coming Late to the Noctivid Party (1 Viewer)

lmans66

Out Birding....
Supporter
United States
Was in a nature store today and had the pleasure of testing out the Leica Line-up which I have never previously tested (10x42 models) and I was blown away / impressed with the Noctivid and only wish my current budget could afford it! I saw a used Ultravid online and wanted to test one in person before buying as I was not overly impressed with it's 'close-up' ability in the specs. But as I tested the Ultravid and found out my initial thoughts about the close-up were perhaps not as bad as I thought, I also tested the Noctivid 'side by side' (as well as Trinovid).

I know from reading forum responses that some birders see little 'optical difference' between all three, but I for one could see and feel the difference. Noctivid all the way, baby...What a binocular, ....as I am sure I could have stated about the NL or SF too.

What is interesting though is kind of an eye-opener on myself. This past summer I was on a quest to find the perfect mid-price range 8x32mm and was adamant that I wanted to stay away from Alphas. I kept telling myself that having a mid level binocular gave me 90% of an Alpha so why bother, and let me save my money! A side note, is that at one time I did own a 8x42 SLC as well as a 10x42 HT. But I was a strong opponent of investing money into Alphas this past summer. But now, .....hmmmmmmm. I want one. The moral of the story: The Alpha's are expensive but there is a reason behind those $'s....

There is good reason for alpha pricing... there is a difference.

I'm a huge fan of Ultravid+, but haven't had the pleasure to try Noctivid yet.

What I have is some extended, valued experience with SF and NL 32s. In the end, I bought 8x32 SF and 10x32 SF. What stellar bins they are, in every way! And, not priced to cause total nose bleed!

I'm a believer in alpha bins. And, I'm sure, a Noctivid will find its way to me sooner or later! Leica glass is awesome.

I have been using several top alpha but still end up using NV 10x42 quite often! No one can produce the beautiful, classy color rendition the way the Leica can do! I would certainly add the Noctivid 8x32 in the future if Leica is making it!

Was in a nature store today and had the pleasure of testing out the Leica Line-up which I have never previously tested (10x42 models) and I was blown away / impressed with the Noctivid and only wish my current budget could afford it! I saw a used Ultravid online and wanted to test one in person before buying as I was not overly impressed with it's 'close-up' ability in the specs. But as I tested the Ultravid and found out my initial thoughts about the close-up were perhaps not as bad as I thought, I also tested the Noctivid 'side by side' (as well as Trinovid).

I know from reading forum responses that some birders see little 'optical difference' between all three, but I for one could see and feel the difference. Noctivid all the way, baby...What a binocular, ....as I am sure I could have stated about the NL or SF too.

What is interesting though is kind of an eye-opener on myself. This past summer I was on a quest to find the perfect mid-price range 8x32mm and was adamant that I wanted to stay away from Alphas. I kept telling myself that having a mid level binocular gave me 90% of an Alpha so why bother, and let me save my money! A side note, is that at one time I did own a 8x42 SLC as well as a 10x42 HT. But I was a strong opponent of investing money into Alphas this past summer. But now, .....hmmmmmmm. I want one. The moral of the story: The Alpha's are expensive but there is a reason behind those $'s....
I got my Greeen NV 10x42 new from Duncan at Leica de lisse in Netherlands for $2K US. Don't know if he still have that deal but you might check it out. The European vs USA warranty might be different if that would be the concern!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back