• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Buzzard, or Long-legged buzzard? (2 Viewers)

mi-d

I believe that it is a common Buzzard, but I do not know how to exclude juvenile Long-legged Buzzard...

Attachments

• _DSC9011-2.jpg
    _DSC9011-2.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 51
Common buzzard is correct; juv RLB is a distinctive bird, with dark carpals and a solid, dark belly. A key difference is the tail - RLB has a white tail and dark subterminal band. Here is a picture of a juvenile in a similar pose for comparison.

Ah, completely misread that. Still looks fine for CB - broad, proportionally short winged appearance, pale breast band etc. LLB is reminiscent of an eagle in terms of jizz (impossible from a single photo). I had an interesting CB a while back and put together some notes on the variables between LLB and CB - see this thread if you are interested Interesting Buteo, Somerset, 31.5.2020
Hopefully this is actually helpful (and the correct species!) 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back