• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common/Ring-billed Gull in Morocco 13/01/2024 (1 Viewer)

Hi,
I initially identified this as Common Gull, but I start to doubt, structure makes me think of Ring-billed (long legs, bill shape), as well as bill colour and very advanced plumage for this date, unlike to 1st winter Common Gulls that I use to see at this period.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Attachments

• DSCN9678.JPG
    DSCN9678.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 163
  • DSCN9686.JPG
    DSCN9686.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 166
  • DSCN9691.JPG
    DSCN9691.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 144
  • DSCN9705.JPG
    DSCN9705.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 164
Also as the op mentioned, doesn't its 'seemingly advanced plumage' seem wrong for a common gull for this time of year?

Last edited:
I would have overlooked this as Common. The size and structure of the bill would not have rung alarm bells, and it looks daintier than my mental image of Ring-billed, eg round looking head, lacking the small-eyed look of Ring-billed. Not a Gull buff though, so here to learn.

I would have overlooked this as Common. The size and structure of the bill would not have rung alarm bells, and it looks daintier than my mental image of Ring-billed, eg round looking head, lacking the small-eyed look of Ring-billed. Not a Gull buff though, so here to learn.
I would also over look this as a Common Gull, so if it is a Ring-billed I must look harder!

Do not feel bad for overlooking this... It is a Common Gull indeed, based on its bill shape, bill colour and pattern, colour of the upperparts, and the typical pattern of the remaining juvenile wing coverts (consisting of mainly a simple, dark shaft streak). Also, the smooth, brown 'shawl' on the lower hindneck and just tiny spots on the nape fit Common much better than Ring-billed; the latter shows coarse spotting (or streaking) on nape and hindneck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back