• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Compact adapter? (1 Viewer)

stevetb

Hi everyone,

I've used a Baader type adapter before, and whilst it worked, it was bulky. I was wondering if there was anything more compact and similarly priced for a camera without a thread? I'd like to attach it to my Swaro AT80HD w/zoom.

Thanks very much,
Steve.

I started digiscoping with the same scope/adapter as you, and for the same reasons eventually went with the Swarovski DCA adapter. I used to take a small rucksack just for the Baader adapter, but no need now as the DCA is pocket sized (large pocket). Luckily I got the DCA used for £25, so worth looking out for one yourself (Try ebay). You can use any camera with the DCA if you use one of these (doesn't need lens threads around the camera's lens):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Universal-Lens-Adapter-for-Most-Compact-Digital-Cameras_W0QQitemZ220076043479QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Photography_DigitalCamAccess_RL?hash=item220076043479&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

It attaches to the DCA using the supplied M37 adapter ring (that comes with the DCA). I permanently attached a Manfrotto Q/R adapter to mine so the the camera can be removed quickly and easily for travelling around. I also replaced the plastic-capped bolt with a 10mm nut and bolt which was tightened down tightly with a spanner to prevent it moving in transit. I notice that the one in this link is from Hong Kong, but there was also a company in Glasgow selling the same thing through an Ebay shop.

Unfortunately I'm not aware of another more affordable & compact adapter than the DCA.

Steve

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back