• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rica.... (6 Viewers)

We've been to Costa Rica twice in the past ten years, in January / February.

In my opinion, Monteverde is well worth the grueling drive in. We did it both times in a standard 2WD vehicle, though it's a little unnerving trying to dodge the potholes and the large rocks, and a high-clearance vehicle would make things easier. Figure an hour to go the last 20 kilometers. A 4WD would be essential in the rainy season.

If you're the adventurous type, I have heard it is possible to go in from the Fortuna side on horseback.

In looking for quetzals at Monteverde, we realized on our first trip that you have to go where the guided tours go, to get the best chance of seeing them. The way it's set up, the entrance for people not on guided tours leads you onto a different path than the tours use, so it's an extra mile or so to work you way around.

We did this on our second trip. We had my mom with us, and I was determined to find her a quetzal, but our guided walk fell through at the last minute. We got over onto the path (upper left if you're looking at the map) that leads to the waterfall, and listened for the call; I found a male and then the female within 15 minutes. Lucky to be able to look so clever for my mom.

Re Braulio Carrillo, I have heard the same stories about bad 'uns there, and have passed it by except for a few looks from the highway.

Cerro de la Muerte is great -- that whole stretch of higher-elevation road offers some good birding. The bus from San Jose south usually stops at a little place called La Georgina for lunch; when we did the trip in a private car, we stopped and birded in the pastures and forest below. Locals were very cooperative about letting us onto their land.

We stayed at Selva Verde the first trip; it's nice, and reasonable value for the money. Rara Avis is in the same general area but much rougher and not much cheaper. It seems to be staffed by college-age folks, some of whom are knowledgeable and some not.

My strongest recommendation (if finances permit) is the Osa Peninsula. We have seen scarlet macaws both times, as well as motmots (flying right past you whilst sitting on the verandah), all manner of tanagers, and I can't recall what all else right now, with my notes not handy. Some of the lodging options are pricey, but others are not so bad, and the local guides are knowledgeable. You can get as far as Palmar Norte by bus, then take a taxi to Sierpe, and from there you go by private boat down the river and across Bahia Drake to the peninsula. (The place you stay will usually arrange for the boat.)

We also went to Palo Verde and found it very productive (this was in January), but again I don't have my list handy to tell you exactly what we saw. It would be tough without a car, as it's a bit off the main drag, on an unpaved road.

If you're going to rent a car, see if the place you're staying the first night in San Jose has recommendations for you, or will make the booking. You're more likely to get good service if the car hire agency is dealing with a hotel (etc.) rather than some tourist they'll never see again.

Tim Allwood said:
Watcha

is it possible to stay in the reserve in Carara? I can tent it, if necesary.

are there places to stay nearby?

Tim

I don´t think so but will ask about camping there. There are very basic accomodations next to the Tárcoles river bridge (noisy) and in the nearby town of Tárcoles (crappy), both a short walk from the reserve trails. There´re more expensive accomodations following the road south but too far for a morning walk to the reserve.

Tim Allwood said:
i understand buses go to Monteverde

Braulio Carillo has long been know as a target for the odd 'bandito'. Usually car robberies. Public transport drops at the hq where there are armed guards is a better idea!

thanks for all the great info so far...

best get after that cheapo flight!

Tim

There´s no problem at all if you bird the trails at the Quebrada González HQ. Both are usually very good, the loop one next to the buildings in special.

Motmot said:
I don´t think so but will ask about camping there. There are very basic accomodations next to the Tárcoles river bridge (noisy) and in the nearby town of Tárcoles (crappy), both a short walk from the reserve trails. There´re more expensive accomodations following the road south but too far for a morning walk to the reserve.
When I was visiting Carara I stayed at the hotel next to the Tárcoles river bridge which cost only $5 per night (about 4 years ago now). It was basic, but perfectly decent and only a few hundred metres from the main entrance. There is also a restaurant there. If you don't have transport this is probably the best location. Don't forget to check out the big crocodiles that rest under the bridge. As well as the main reserve, there is good birding on the path that runs along the river. This is a good bet first thing in the morning before the reserve is open. Its just as good as the main reserve, but I have heard that there have been muggings there.

Tom

booked flights so defo off now

best get some bookwork done...

Tim

anyone got the gen on the owls in the park at orotina?

is it worth taking a small scope and shoulder pod or is the vast majority of birding within the forest?

Last edited:
Tim,

Will send you a detailed map of Orotina in the morning, there literally 23 smallish trees in the park, if you miss the B&W Owls, the local kids won't! I tried to tell them (in my best Spanish?!) I wanted to find it on my own, got away with it the first time, second visit they came over to show me before I had chance to look!

The town is tiny, and the park is easy to find as its the only one and its next to a big church only 300m from the main road.

Enjoy your time there, I didn't take a scope with me, didn't regret not taking either, good excuse to by-pass all those distance raptors!

Tim Allwood said:

is it worth taking a small scope and shoulder pod or is the vast majority of birding within the forest?
I was told to ask the ice cream seller that is always there. I did that and he took me straight to where they were roosting.
I would say that there is little use for a scope unless you plan to do much coastal birding. Having said that, if you have a small scope or shoulder pod you will probably pick up a few extras. when things quieten down in the late mornings, I often look for a good lookout point for soaring raptors. A scope is usually needed then.

Tom

tomjenner said:
I was told to ask the ice cream seller that is always there. I did that and he took me straight to where they were roosting.
I would say that there is little use for a scope unless you plan to do much coastal birding. Having said that, if you have a small scope or shoulder pod you will probably pick up a few extras. when things quieten down in the late mornings, I often look for a good lookout point for soaring raptors. A scope is usually needed then.

Tom

I second that. While birding the Monteverde area you´ll find local guides with scopes that will probably let you glimpse at the Quetzals or Bellbirds they are showing to other birders.

Tim Allwood said:
Watcha

Easter hols are looming and i'm seriously thinking about two weeks in Costa Rica

can anyone who's familiar with the place give me a bit of advice?

I would visit Monteverde, Braulio Carillo and i think Cerro de la Muerte, all by public transport.

Anywhere else worth doing? Is it worth going to La Selva for a couple of days? I'd rather stay in a small number of places and get more birding in, seeing the Costa Rican/Panamanian endems than trying to get a big list of birds which i may have seen in other countries...

Tim

You should maybe try Rancho Naturalista, fairly easy to reach by Bus from San Jose to Turriabla then either a local bus to Platanillo, getting off en-route or get a taxi from Turriabla (i can give you the name of my taxi-driver-friend if you wanted that option.).

Rancho is great and easy birding, you'll see around 150 species in a couple of days there, including quality birds such as Snowcap, Purplish-backed Quail-Dove, Tawny-chested Flycatcher and many more!

Cheers ANDY

Tim Allwood said:
booked flights so defo off now

best get some bookwork done...

Tim

Better check out your dates in case you are in the "green" season! Monteverdi is brilliant in good weather but bloody awful when it gets rainy.
Also Tiskita is a fantastic area - close to Panama and stunningly beautiful - you need to get a flight in though as the road takes too long for a bird trip.
I would recommend a scope, especially for Cerro and Monteverdi - even though you do a lot of canopy stuff everything seemed to sit about and not worry about the presence of humans.

spoony said:
Better check out your dates in case you are in the "green" season! Monteverdi is brilliant in good weather but bloody awful when it gets rainy.
Also Tiskita is a fantastic area - close to Panama and stunningly beautiful - you need to get a flight in though as the road takes too long for a bird trip.
I would recommend a scope, especially for Cerro and Monteverdi - even though you do a lot of canopy stuff everything seemed to sit about and not worry about the presence of humans.

April is usually one of the best months to visit Monteverde. The very windy dry season is gone and rains aren´t an all day trouble. It can be great but tropical weather is variable and it may not be that good!

I don't know if it is a 'good' site, because I don't know how reliable other sites are, but I saw them 3 times at La Selva in one week in July a few years ago.

Tom

I saw them by the side of the main road through Braullio Corillo NP, at some gardens which are a noted site for them, but I can't remember the precise spot. Which is no use to you at all is it?

Tim Allwood said:
Hi all

Anyone know of a half decent site for Snowcap away from Rancho Naturalista...?

Ciao
Tim

Tim

Braulio Carrillo is without doubt a decent bet, at least it was in 2003 - try the old butterfly garden where an area of shrubs just below Quebrada Gonzalez proved excellent for hummers (including Snowcap) - the first wide spot below the park boundry.

Any more recent gen on this site may be useful for Tim (and probably better details than I've given)...?

Cheers and good birding

Rich

ha ha ha

excellent

Rich will do the work for your addled brain cells Andy!

I have plenty of gen for BC, Carara, Monteverde, Cerro de La Muerte, La Selva etc but if anyone thinks anything may be useful, post away. I'm using Graham Speight's old report from 1990 quite heavily. Still pretty damn good

Tim

Rich Bonser said:
Tim

- try the old butterfly garden where an area of shrubs just below Quebrada Gonzalez proved excellent for hummers (including Snowcap) - the first wide spot below the park boundry.

Rich

YES that's the place!!! Just for the record we also had Violet-headed Hummer, Green-crowned Brilliant and Black-faced Grosbeak there. That was 2002. Well done Rich! (yes Tim the brain's addled and so is the note-book).

Hi Tim

You might have gone already but here is a little info for anyone else interested.

I used public transport on both my Costa Rica trips. The buses are the best way to get around the rough roads, no matter where in the neotropics. The road up to Santa Elena/Monteverde is certainly a bit bumpy but the bus handles it very well. Gives you chance to bird on the way without going over the edge. There are a few shady characters in the area, like most places.

It is fairly easy to get to Santa Elena from Tarcoles, needs a change of bus in Puntarenas. There is a reasonable hotel in Tarcoles, a taxi could get you to the Park for an early start.

La Selva/Selva Verde are very pricey places to stay but there are plenty of cheaper options in nearby Puerto Viejo de Sarapique, especially above the Mi Lindo Restaurant directly opposite the bus station. Even a tour of La Selva is expensive, a guide is required! Selva Verde is cheaper to visit for the day, about $10 and no guide required. photos on http://members.aol.com/adiroyle6 A sunbittern was in residence last year.

Regards
Adrian

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back