• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Could you please identify this bird? (1 Viewer)

valerisa

Turkey
So we had found a birdie that fell off one apartment’s roof, 5 cats were chasing after her so we decided to save her that day and took care of it. Nobody could not understand what breed is it, even vets (I don’t know its mom either). Anyone could help?

PS: poor thing passed away in the 40th day and we don’t even know why, because vet had told us that bird was in good condition.. it still breaks my heart when i watch the videos i took with this cutie together, i used to kiss its head and she was being so happy... i really miss my beloved birdie. She had nice voice :( I don’t want to give up on learning what its breed is.. it was my first time i took care of a bird in my life..

We also have one cat at home, although birdie was tiny, she used to scare the cat hahah.. birdie had a interesting posture, it was like ‘hey, im the birdie boss so leave the place’.

Although she was like that to cat, she was so kind to us.. :( i used to cuddle her and i could feel a interesting vibration like.. you know, when cats are happy, they give a interesting vibration. This bird also used to do the same when you cuddle her. Even vet was shocked about that.

Last edited:
24366FC6-C37E-4A90-9296-077DECDEC0FE.jpeg
Later, beak got taller and became darker color, feather became more white.. she/he loved eating ants, bugs, meat.. loves water too. PS: it has blue eyes (the outer part) and inner part is black

Last edited:
ED6428C5-908B-4A38-A48F-59C320F40F0E.jpeg

97FA2E4B-5CBC-460C-8D43-864192AA4DAC.jpegHer wing shape.. maybe it can be helpful to understand. She used to open her wings when it was sunny. She used to turn her head backwards and sleep like that.

Last edited:
She used to sit on fan and turn together with it (the weather is hot here). She used to bring us screw by carrying in its mouth. It was really interesting and funny to be honest.. she was flying around the house, poop everywhere

PS: I don’t even know if it was a girl birdie but idk.. i felt like it was girl. I miss her so bad.

Your bird was a fledgeling Common Starling but something was odd about it from the beginning. It shouldn't show the broad white bar in the wing and in the picture apparently taken later it's beak grew far too long also the feathering on the head is too thin. It seems to me it possibly had some genetic issues. Can't imagine that this could be a result of a wrong diet or so... Maybe this is the reason why it died so soon?

Your bird was a fledgeling Common Starling but something was odd about it from the beginning. It shouldn't show the broad white bar in the wing and in the picture apparently taken later it's beak grew far too long also the feathering on the head is too thin. It seems to me it possibly had some genetic issues. Can't imagine that this could be a result of a wrong diet or so... Maybe this is the reason why it died so soon?
Thank you very much for your care :) I honestly have no idea. Maybe it can be genetic issues, because it did not have any problem :( i even gave small drops of vitamine which in way vet suggested me to but unfortunately, poor thing passed away.

it also came interesting to me that it had long beak, i checked every type of birds in google and i could not something that looks the same. I also saw starling birdies on the net but they have dots on their feather and yellow-short beaks. Since she was carrying screw together in her mouth while flying to us (sometimes she used to walk from a far room to living room, we were surprised, how could a flying bird walk this much) we thought that it can be a mixture of crow and another type of bird, i heard before that crows carry shiny things haha.

Also crows grow slow, she was with us for 40 days, she could have left the place already but she was still not able to eat on her own. So we thought that it is a slow growing bird

Hi Valerisa and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I am so sorry to hear that you have lost your friend.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi Valerisa, sad to hear the starling died. It was definitely an European starling nestling, as said already: compare with these quite young birds :

The white in the wings, which isn´t normal for starlings, indicates that there could have been some malnutrition due to nutritional deficites in the food it received, either already by its parents or under your care. The thin feathering can also hint to that. Both can happen if a bird receives not the correct food. I don´t say that to blame you in any way, just to try to find reasons . (As Carery says a genetic issue may be another possible reason) However, what exactly did you feed it?

Concerning malnutrition, you see the same white patches more commonly in corvids (mainly in crows, rarely jackdaws or magpies) in urban environments , which live on contents of rubbish bins and scraps by humans:

Hi Valerisa, sad to hear the starling died. It was definitely an European starling nestling, as said already: compare with these quite young birds :

The white in the wings, which isn´t normal for starlings, indicates that there could have been some malnutrition due to nutritional deficites in the food it received, either already by its parents or under your care. The thin feathering can also hint to that. Both can happen if a bird receives not the correct food. I don´t say that to blame you in any way, just to try to find reasons . (As Carery says a genetic issue may be another possible reason) However, what exactly did you feed it?

Concerning malnutrition, you see the same white patches more commonly in corvids (mainly in crows, rarely jackdaws or magpies) in urban environments , which live on contents of rubbish bins and scraps by humans:
Ohh first time i heard that.. i feel guilty now uwu. When i first got her, i saw on net that boiled egg would be good to feed, we tried to feed her egg and she spit out, later we made a mixture with baby cookie (here there are cookies they give to babies that have vitamins and nutritions). We smashed the cookie, mixed with water and made a kind of paste. Vet also gave cat food which is like in tuna can. We used to vet that with water and feed her. Later she also disliked that so we fed her with mince, she loved its taste. She wasn’t able to eat herself so i used to make mince in small pieces and she was eating, everything was fine. (When i had to go outside, i was carrying both her cage and her food with styrofoam box that i placed two ice) Later we went another vet and he adviced vitamine b, i used to give 1ml per day. He told me to feed dead shrimps, i bought it but she disliked the taste. Sometimes i used to take her outside and feed ants (she was able to eat the ant herself and some small bugs.. it was funny). One time i saw a big fly and show, she ate her in the third time hahah.. after a while i went another vet again, this one was university faculty veterinary place, and they focus on wild birds. He said that birdie is good and wrote a bird food. But that food was not existing here. I decided to ask a friend that live abroad so he could bring together with him. He also gave a vitamin complex syrup, i gave three drops. After one day of that.. i was sleeping and dad told me bird doesn’t look fine (and that day before (yesterday) birdie was hugging my hair and sleeping with me huuuuuuuu... also i think two days before that, she puked the food i gave her) and i was still asleep, i hardly woke up and he went somewhere. I cuddled birdie in my hand i was worried. Later she was trying to leave my palm and fly around but she was unable.. i was cryin meanwhile uwu. I didn’t let her go.. i understood that she will go corner and wait her death ownself. I didn’t want her to die alone like that, i was kissing her head. She opened her mouth, i thought she may need water. I gave two drops of water in her mouth. She was shaking her head weirdly.. later.. you know. I still remember this and cry. Probably the most horrible moment i ever had. I couldn’t take her to vet either, it was far and vets weren’t helpful; i think most doesn’t know about bird care, i never felt this much sad and hopeless in my life. I have been to 5-6 vets so far in different places (I was working so i was also taking her around with me, nobody else in home would be able to feed her. I took her to vet wherever i could see one) Later we made a grave for her. May she rest in peace. My cute birdie..

i wish i had found this webpage earlier.. we don’t have a page like this in my country.. im horrible person

i wish i had found this webpage earlier.. we don’t have a page like this in my country.. im horrible person

You are certainly NOT a horrible person, you've been very caring and did everything you could for this baby bird, but there was clearly something wrong with it, and most fledglings don't survive to adulthood even if they're completely healthy.

You are certainly NOT a horrible person, you've been very caring and did everything you could for this baby bird, but there was clearly something wrong with it, and most fledglings don't survive to adulthood even if they're completely healthy.
that’s very sad :( birds seems very sensitive.. i take care of street dogs, cats, even i have a rabbit.. i managed to have knowledge of vets own my own, by growing up all these animals. But bird was first time.

A few weeks ago, while i was sitting outside of a cafe, a pigeon suddenly fell off the roof to the ground. I was shocked and pick it up, because cats were interested to the birdie. There was a random guy who be like ‘cut her head, the bird will probably die’. I got angry and took to vet. Vet said that there is nothing to be done. The bird was laying weirdly. He said that the bird have no broken spot or injury. I bought a syringe from pharmacy and give water to pigeon’s mouth. Later i cuddled on my lap, she slept a bit. I did not knew how to hold a pigeon so I wasn’t moving her. Half hours later, i took off my hands from her to see how she is doing. She chirped her wings, i didnt want to hurt her accidentally since i could not understand how must i hold her (and my gosh... i touched a pigeon for first time in my life and she was so soft! i understand now why some people feed pigeons in their place. What a cute bird). She flew away like that. I was happy to help her out. It was very hot that day and there is no place for birds to drink water there. I hope all animals can find food and water. Here’s the picture of the cute pigeon hehehe..61E2D64E-1074-496F-9268-D1BC6DF63177.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back