• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Galway Birding (local patch) (10 Viewers)

First of the Greenland White-fronted Geese in yesterday with 8 at Clochar na gConn Nature Reserve near Inveran. 32 Arctic Skua, 14 Bonxies and two juvenile Long-tailed Skua off Baile na hAbhainn on Monday afternoon.

Hi Brendan. Clochar na gConn Nature Reserve is north of the townlands of Cornarona and Loughaunbeg. A grid reference for the site is M050 260. It's pristine blanket bog for the most part and probably the most untouched part of south Connemara. Bird diversity is not great - as can be expected in this type of habitat - but it does hold have breeding Golden Plover, Red Grouse and Merlin as well as wintering GWFG's. The Snowy Owl found last March was just north of this area but in the same bog complex. A day spent checking hummocks and suitable boulders for pellets and feathers might prove worthwhile.

At Nimmo's and Claddagh Beach there has been a large influx of gulls (3000+) for the past week which I assume are feeding on fry/fish which in turn has brought in Mackerel in large shoals. 5 Little Egret, 150 Mergansers, Cormorants everywhere, Ring-billed Gull on the playing fields.

Black-headed Gull with a white darvic ring 2P70 which is part of a ringing scheme in Slimbridge
Report from John Wells
Thank you for reporting 2P70. This bird was ringed as a nestling as part of a project studying NG's breeding in Gloucestershire and Wiltshire. This one was ringed at a relatively new colony at Wildfowl Trust Headquarters at Slimbridge.
Our study has shown that our birds migrate to the south and west and indeed we have now had good numbers sighted in Ireland.
EL38470 N 1 24/06/10 Slimbridge WFT, Gloucestershire
S 3 Sighted 25/10/10 Nimmos pier, Galway, Eire (484 km, WNW, 123 days)

Attachments

• P1020509 251010.jpg
    P1020509 251010.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 56
For those of you able to receive BBC Four, there's a bit of a birding / birdwatching theme this week starting at 9.00pm tonight with three (I think) birding programmes. The much vaunted four part 'Birds Britannia' series starts at 9.00pm on Wednesday with repeats over the week. Other programmes also.

I intend to record most of them so if you can't get BBC Four (still throwing away good money to Sky or UPC ?) just ask me for a copy. The BBC often use BBC Four as a test channel and given a positive viewer reaction, many of these programmes will eventually air on BBC2 or BBC1.

First-winter Little Gull, 1-3rd Glaucous Gull and 4 Sandwich Terns on the beach at Nimmo's yesterday. Very little activity inside at Nimmo's itself. I think we may have omitted Little Gull from the county yearlist? As far as I can see Troakie had the first at Rahasane on 19th September. They seem to be getting even more scarcer with time.

Dermot

Juvenile American Golden Plover on Slyne Head/Ballyconneely during the week. Thats six Yanks for Truska this Autumn - Blue-winged Teal, 2 AGPs, Pec Sand, Long-billed Dowitcher and Buff-bellied Pipit.
Early first-winter Iceland Gull at Bunowen Pier also. 2 first-winter Iceland (presumably this bird) and two first-winter Glaucous Gull nearby also during the week.

Dermot

Attachments

• Nov AGP1.jpg
    Nov AGP1.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Nov AGP2.jpg
    Nov AGP2.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Bunowen 1st b.jpg
    Bunowen 1st b.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Bunowen 1st c.jpg
    Bunowen 1st c.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 45
Juvenile American Golden Plover, Turloughmore, 20th November 2010.
Juvenile American Golden Plover, Allebrack, 18th November 2010.
First-winter female Surf Scoter, Murvey, 24th November 2010. Number 200 for the yearlist??

Dermot

Attachments

• Tur AGP 5.jpg
    Tur AGP 5.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Nov AGP6.jpg
    Nov AGP6.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 91
50+ Waxwings at Dangan Heights yesterday afternoon. They were in the trees just before the left turn on to Circular Road.

Just in case anyone is interested in going out for a look I am 99% sure (I say 99% as the bird was seen essentially in silhouette) I had a Bittern on the Corrib near Muckrush on Saturday last. I had it in flight over the reedbed at the mouth of the Cregg river at dusk. It was distant and I had it in view for 10-12 seconds. Have had Bittern here before in 2000 and the place is perfect for them. Short-eared Owl present also getting abused by the local Hooded Crows. Flock of approx. 20 Waxwings flying over the road at Kinneveys pub at Rosscahill this morning.

Get out of that pub!!!

Report of Waxwings in Mayo too on the BWI Facebook page: "Jonathan O Grady Spotted 9 waxwings today, they were on the telephone wires along the road between Gortmore and Tourmakeady on the edge of Lough Mask Co.Mayo, first time ive ever see this bird."

All the best,
Niall

5 Hen Harriers, Marsh Harrier, Peregrine, 3 Merlin, 2 Kestrel and 2 Sparrowhawks on the Curraghline yesterday. Single Little Egret out there as well looking seriously uncomfortable in the snow. Had 7 Waxwings in front of the house in Moycullen yesterday as I arrived home for lunch. Perfect timing!

Red Kite at Glinsk yesterday afternoon. Raven mobbing it without mercy, after 15 mins it left it alone and immediately a pair of Hooded Crows took over! Hunting over blanket bog, not exactly prime kite habitat. Great to see one out this way. Couldn't make out any tags though I only had the bins with me at the time as I was out bog trodding.
Two pics of the Surf Scoter that relocated to Dogs Bay and joined the returning adult female Long-tailed Duck. Also a pic of Snow Bunting tracks in the snow just below the summit of Tievebreen. You can see the seed heads they were feeding on in the left of the shot. I saw a flock of 19 up there, hardy little blighters.

Dermot

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Snow Bunting.jpg
    Snow Bunting.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 58
Hi Aoife

There are 8 doing a circuit around Joyce's Supermarket in Kingston for the past 2 days. There are berry bushs at a low wall at the pedestrian lights, this is one of their stops on their circuit. Check the tall trees to the north they roost there. Other reports are in Moycullen, Bushypark and Ballybrit, but these over a week old now.

ATB
Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back