• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Galway Birding (local patch) (2 Viewers)

No news on LBH today - I'm assuming it's gone - just as I've got flights booked? Clinging on to faint hope that no-one looked today if it's quite remote.

206 Yellow Wagtail, "Blackpoll Jungle", Inishmore 11.10.08 - Rob Vaughan
208 Semipalmated Sandpiper, Kilmurvey Beach, Inishmore, 13.10.08 - Hugh Delaney.

Derek Charles is out on "the big island" for a few days at the moment (by himself - respect!). I hope he picks something up though saying that apart from the megas this autumn its being fairly thin pickings for a supporting cast.

Thanks to the above Punkbirder appeal I have just recieved the eastern version of Sibley, mainly due to a donation my myself that is. Just be time for the Reddish Egret...

Dermot

Dermot last two birds to the County list were
206 Yellow Wagtail Inishmore Rob Vaughan 11.10.08
207 Red-brested Flycatcher Inishmore Dermot Breen 12.10.08

Semi-palmated Sandpiper was noted as 196 by Owen Foley at Rahasane 05.10.08

Aonghus had the Great White Egret over the Curraghline/Lough Corrib on Tueday evening.

Great numbers at Rahasane on Saturday. Circa 6500+ Golden Plover, lots of Whoopers, White front, Redshank, Blackwits and Dunlin. Good numbers of Lapwing also present.

Water levels were good on Saturday but after last nights downpour, they are most likely well up.

One Spotted Red the only oddity found. Am sure there was plenty more but hard to search such massive and flighty numbers.

About 1000+ wigeon as well as some shoveller, teal and a few pintail. Two tufted duck also seen from distance.

I was out at Ballynahown yesterday.
7 Arctic Skua and 3 Bonxies during a two and a half hour watch in the afternoon. Usual Auks and large numbers of Kittiwakes too. All moving west out of the bay. Strong south westerlies but the mist reduced visibility to only a couple of hundred metres.
Aonghus saw 1 Pom, and 1 Long tail out there yesterday morning and 1 Pom, 6 Bonxies and 4 Arctic there this morning.

Check out sligobirding.com in the recent sightings tab for an incredible picture of a juv merlin taken using a mobile phone!

...there is hope for us all..........

maybe I will move back to sligo!

Respect

Fair play to all the lads who gave the Galway Islands a good thrashing this October. Dermot has been plowing a lone furrow for the last few years. Personally I think you were just unluck with yanky passerines. You had the best haul of 'scarce' during you stay on the Islands..better that any of the south coast headlands or Islands.

I think while there was a good fall of 'megas' on the south coast each headland only had one bird each

Firkeel Scarlet Tanager
Cape Clear White throated Sparrow
Galley Head Swainsons Thrush
Loop Head Philadelphia Vireo

So it might just have slipped by or just missed and landed on the mainland..but as 15 Ring-necked Ducks, Little Blue Heron and Whites Thrush show those Islands are well worth the effort.

Two megas in a month and the largest flock of RNDs ever seen in the Western Palearctic must be a success by the highest of standards,surely?

ps any sign of the heron?I am going to bofin for 3 nights ( mon-wed) next week.So I would not mind an insurance tick along the way.

My,that looks a bit like the Mourning Dove weather we had last year

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/jetstream.asp

and just in time for my trip!

Last edited:
Have finally managed to upload some shots from Inishmore this October. All of these are Rob Vaughans shots (the Sibley man!).
Will add a few of my own in next mail.

Stop Press: John Murphy just had a Rose-breasted Grosbeak in Kilbaha, Co. Clare an hour ago. Fecker seems to have disappeared into a bramble patch (no shortage of them out there).

Dermot

Attachments

• Red-breasted Fly 1.jpg
    Red-breasted Fly 1.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Red-breasted Fly 2.jpg
    Red-breasted Fly 2.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Red-breasted Fly 3.jpg
    Red-breasted Fly 3.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Red-breasted Fly 4.jpg
    Red-breasted Fly 4.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Rosy Starling 1.jpg
    Rosy Starling 1.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 55
Thanks for the nod Peter/Phillip;)
I have to say we all felt a little hard done by in not kicking out a Yank passerine considering the numbers of birders & supporting cast out there and with the amount of stuff turning up elsewhere this year. It is a huge island. If anything which favours low cover such as brambles and bracken were to turn up you'd be very hard pushed to find it.
With the recent news from Loop (two yanks now this autumn!) and Bobolink on Scilly yesterday and with the weather at the moment, one last bash at the "big island" may still be worth a go this weekend.
First two pics (2nd - Loch Phort Chorrúch where RN Ducks were) taken by myself with me phone and last one of the Dow by Rob again.
Hope to put up an extended trip list from Inishmore for Sept & Oct of this year in the mext few days.

Little Blue Heron hasn't been seen since Thursday I'm afraid Peter. We been looking for him ever since.

Dermot

Attachments

• DSC05431.JPG
    DSC05431.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC05476.JPG
    DSC05476.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 51
  • autumn 2008 2 121.jpg
    autumn 2008 2 121.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 51
Hello Peter/ Dermot
I spent two and a half very enjoyable days out on Inishmore last week. It is the best island off Ireland that i have been on. It may well be that lack of coverage meant that the Yank passerine or two was missed but hopefully Dermot will turn one up this weekend!
I think i might cash in all my credits next year and head out for a week next October.
Highlight for me was beating Aonghous in a sprint finish in the "Tour De Inishmore". I will be in training all winter as i will defend the yellow jersey next year!

Derek

ps Peter you forgot Western Sandpiper on your list

pps i think Hugh's Semi P was actually a Sanderlingo:D

Hi Derek

The high road can really take it out of ya for sure if you're not used to the bike.8-P A good tip is to get a bike with a wide saddle!!
Thats at least one signed up for next year, hopefully we'll get a few more and that the Punkbirders will be back to settle the score!
Somehow I think its going to be a very quiet Winter, Spring and Summer at that out here. Unlike my previous haunt Connemara isn't exactly a great spot for wildfowl. I haven't found a Ring-necked Duck in at least 6 months - starting to get withdrawl symptoms!

Dermot

Hello Dermot,
The first time i went up the hill i done it without stopping even overtaking two Japenese tourists twenty years younger than me! That is something that i will never do again.
I think a better idea than a bike with a wide seat would be a car;)

Derek

A car may be feasible.
I dont know about Inishmore...but it only costs a hundred euros to bring a car over to cape. It dosent have to be NCT'd...so you could pick up a real banger for like a hundred and bring it across with you.

Of course...then you would have no exercise to burn off the alcohol from the previous evening.

Owen

Flight was booked for Tuesday just gone which I didn't go on as LBH negative since Friday. Please don't tell me it was seen Monday and no-one called it in.

Flight was booked for Tuesday just gone which I didn't go on as LBH negative since Friday. Please don't tell me it was seen Monday and no-one called it in.

Its out of the way and birders are few and far between.So its possible if it had not been seen for a few days that people stoped checking.

Just go for it!

As Peter has said it is a remote site.
The LHB had not been seen since last Thursday 16th. Dermot Breen was looking in alternative sites to see if it might have relocated with no luck.
The first we new of its return was checking Joe Doolans site at
http://www.irishbirding.com/birds/we...SightingSearch

As a local I would have an hour and a half drive to the site not something we would do every day. There are about 10 birders for the county and most of them are 9-5.

Ps
I believe it was search for yesterday with no luck.!!!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back