• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Galway Birding (local patch) (1 Viewer)

The Red-necked Grebe was present at Blackrock this morning.
Coral Beach quiet yesterday. I saw a Kingfisher on the river in Oughterard yesterday. First time I've seen one there.

BTW I heard and saw a Dipper singing on the stream that runs along the eastern side of Nun's Island a couple of weeks ago but forgot about it til now

A few shots from yesterday.
Mediterranean and the leucistic Black-headed gull seem to associate with the same flock. Ring-billed Gull was at Waterside. Adult Kummlien's is hanging around with the Swans and fighting for its share of the bread.

Tom had a Dipper at the Mill race out-fall from the Bridge Mills about two years ago good to know its still around.

Attachments

• DSCN3096 220209.JPG
    DSCN3096 220209.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC01059 220209.JPG
    DSC01059 220209.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCN3067 220209.JPG
    DSCN3067 220209.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCN3094 220209.JPG
    DSCN3094 220209.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC01048 220209.JPG
    DSC01048 220209.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Some dodgy shots of the AHG present on Saturday.

d

Attachments

• ad ahg nimmos.jpg
    ad ahg nimmos.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 55
  • AHG NIMMOS1.jpg
    AHG NIMMOS1.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 63
  • ahg nimos.jpg
    ahg nimos.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMGP7863.jpg
    IMGP7863.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMGP7875.jpg
    IMGP7875.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 53
Yellowhammers

Deirdre Comerford and I had 3 Yellowhammers at Doolough near Headford today (Feb 24). They are the first ever I have seen in this area and the first I have seen in Co Galway for about 10 years. Are they on the list? What is their status in the county?

Neil

County List 2009

138. Blackcap (Pete Capsy )
139. Yellowhammer (Deirdre Comerford & Neil Sharkey Doolaugh 24.02.09)

Neil would be good to know if they hang around. I have only seen one in Galway before assume they are very scarce.

Deirdre Comerford and I had 3 Yellowhammers at Doolough near Headford today (Feb 24). They are the first ever I have seen in this area and the first I have seen in Co Galway for about 10 years. Are they on the list? What is their status in the county?

Neil

Hi Neil

I've seen a few yellowhammers at three sites on the south side of the N63 Roscommon road, either side of Abbeyknockmoy, over the past two winters (though not been back to look this winter). One of these sites was in late March in suitable breeding habitat (along the proposed M17 route!), so there seems to be a resident population surviving out there. There are a good few arable fields scattered across the area and plenty of thorn bushes which they seem to like. There are also some in the Shannon Callows, but not sure if they extend in to Co. Galway there.

Also near Abbey, I had two buzzards at a wood on Sunday, presumably attracted by the population of bunnies in there. I guess they'll just be wintering, but you never know.... Had another buzzard fly over the car just south of Ardrahan on 9 Feb.

Yesterday whilst getting some roving records for the bird atlas I came across a couple of ringed plovers beside a pool in a field up near Levally Lough. They're the first I've seen inland in Ireland, though the original breeding atlas implies that they used to be a widespread breeder inland. Not sure if that's still the case? Good variety of waterbirds on the lough, though in small numbers.

Troakie

Yesterday whilst getting some roving records for the bird atlas I came across a couple of ringed plovers beside a pool in a field up near Levally Lough. They're the first I've seen inland in Ireland, though the original breeding atlas implies that they used to be a widespread breeder inland. Not sure if that's still the case? Good variety of waterbirds on the lough, though in small numbers.

Troakie

Hi Paul,

Ringed Plover breed at most of the sub-sites in the Lough Boora Parklands in Co. Offaly. They are a constant presence there throughout the spring and summer. The Mid-Shannon Bird Reports detail some breeding records. It seems the bare areas ot the various bogs provide decent nesting habitat. Last summer I saw one chick at Drinagh near Cloghan. Dermot surveyed Boora a few years ago and would have more info on this.

I checked my old notes for the last few years and couldn't find even one sighting of Yellowhammer for Co. Galway. I spent a bit of time in south east Galway over the past few summers.

BTW there is a new edition of the Mid-Shannon Bird Report coming soon which will have some records from east and south Galway. Don't forget to buy a copy everyone. ;)

This isn't in Galway but some people might be interested anyway
Drake American Wigeon at Cabragh wetlands Thurles Co. Tipp. Found today by Pat Brennan. Hopefully it'll stick til the weekend. Also Waxwings on Drummin road in Nenagh. They were there yesterday and the day before at any rate.

Last edited:
Fantastic to hear about yellowhammers in Galway.

Lots of stuff about the coast last weekend. Shelduck and snipe my best views.

About time to visit nimmos after a long absence.......

Out doing a bird atlas tetrad last week I came across two whooper swans on a small lake / big pond just west of Lough Kip. I never saw them in that part of Galway before.

News update
Surfbirds has the following count at Nimmo's today. Figure in brackets is what I seen.
1 American Herring Gull (1)
3 Glaucous Gull (1)
9 Iceland Gull (7)
1 Kumlien's Gull (1)
4 Ring-billed Gull (1)

Rahasane Turlough today

Had an unusual morning at Rahasane. Water levels were very low for this time of year, but there weren't many waders around. Two surprises though - at least 52 Little Egret and one Iceland Gull 1st winter, my first Iceland Gull at Rahasane. Only one Whooper and no geese. Peregrine seen feeding on what looked like Golden Plover, and was being hassled by 5 Hooded Crows. Peregrine got fed up with the hassle and flew off with prey to settle in a tree. Also female Sparrowhawk present.

Pete

Lepus aquaticus

Had this hare down at Tawin last weekend.
Also last weekend this Little Egret with a distinct brown wash to body at Rahasane.
Found a drake Green-winged Teal at Cabragh Wetland, outside Thurles, Co.Tipp yesterday while dipping on the American Wigeon:C

Dermot

Attachments

• 2595.jpg
    2595.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 63
  • Little Egret.jpg
    Little Egret.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 70
  • GW Teal1.jpg
    GW Teal1.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 74
American Herring Gull put in another appearance for about 20mins yesterday at Longwalk up to 2 Glaucous Gull and 10 Iceland Gulls of all ages 2 Kumlien's Gull including Stumpy and at least 3 Ring-billed Gull.

4 Sandwich Tern's along Claddagh Beach and no sign of the Forster's Tern.

Went to Salthill for the Red-necked Grebe with no luck but 3 Purple Sandpipers along the rock.

Pete that must have been some sight to see 52 Little Egrets at Rahasane must have looked like the south of France. Wonder what is the highest count in the country.

Attachments

• DSC01079 010309.jpg
    DSC01079 010309.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC01087 010309.jpg
    DSC01087 010309.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC4490 010309.jpg
    DSC4490 010309.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC4492 010309.jpg
    DSC4492 010309.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN3101 010309.jpg
    DSCN3101 010309.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 59
Nice pic of the purple sands Tom.

Galway bay count on March 14th for any one that's interested.

Nimmos next Saturday.......still at 10.00?

BirdWatch Galway programme for the next few months

Saturday 7 March, short outing with Tim Griffin et al. at Nimmo’s Pier, 10.30am
Saturday 14 March, Galway Bay count.
Wednesday 18 March, branch meeting, Anno Santo, 8pm. Please, come along.
Saturday 4 April, short outing with Tim Griffin et al. at Nimmo’s Pier, 10.30am
Wednsday 15 April, branch meeting, Anno Santo Hotel, 8pm.
Friday 17 April, talk on The changing fortunes of Red Grouse in Ireland: what does the future hold? Results of the national Red Grouse Survey 2006-08 by Sinéad Cummins, coordinator of the Red Grouse Survey. Anno Santo Hotel, 8pm.
Saturday 2 May, short outing with Tim Griffin et al. at Nimmo’s Pier, 10.30am

John 10.30 next Saturday.

Attachments

• DSC4390 0103090.jpg
    DSC4390 0103090.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC4334 010309.jpg
    DSC4334 010309.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC4434 010309.jpg
    DSC4434 010309.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 49
American Herring Gull put in another appearance for about 20mins yesterday at Longwalk up to 2 Glaucous Gull and 10 Iceland Gulls of all ages 2 Kumlien's Gull including Stumpy and at least 3 Ring-billed Gull.

4 Sandwich Tern's along Claddagh Beach and no sign of the Forster's Tern.

Went to Salthill for the Red-necked Grebe with no luck but 3 Purple Sandpipers along the rock.

Pete that must have been some sight to see 52 Little Egrets at Rahasane must have looked like the south of France. Wonder what is the highest count in the country.

Tom, I take it the AHG is still proving difficult? Is it quite a big area - Nimmo's to Longwalk for example. I'm still trying to judge whether to come over for it, given its current erratic performance. If I gave it two full days what are the chances?

It does seem birders from Britain putting in the hours have either been very lucky or a conserted effort over two days will ensure a view.

Thanks again for your help chaps.

Steve
One thing about birding and you already know this, is that there are no dead certainties.
Just to recount the past week. Saturday 21 Feb Dan Pointin seen the AHG at Longwalk along with about 6 other visiting birders and not seen by local birders. It stayed about 30mins.
Next sighting was on Friday 27 seen by Tim Griffin and later by Mike Davis and me and was around for about one hour. At Least 10 Uk visiting birder did not see it.
Next sighting was Sun 1st March. I was walking back from Claddagh beach and along Nimmo's Pier and scanning across at Longwalk for about 30min and no sighting of the AHG. I seen two UK birders and went for a chat. They were scanning for the AHG. I gave the area the bird favours one last scan and the bird was there and stayed for 30mins.
The only thing that is regular about this is, on each occasion in the past week, it has appeared at low tide at the opposite side of the Corrib river to Nimmo's Pier known as Longwalk and the time frame is for 9.30am to 3.30pm. Also bearing in mind it had not been seen since the 25th Jan.
Even you dip on the AHG the Adult Kumlien's might be worth the visit.

Tom

Steve
One thing about birding and you already know this, is that there are no dead certainties.
Just to recount the past week. Saturday 21 Feb Dan Pointin seen the AHG at Longwalk along with about 6 other visiting birders and not seen by local birders. It stayed about 30mins.
Next sighting was on Friday 27 seen by Tim Griffin and later by Mike Davis and me and was around for about one hour. At Least 10 Uk visiting birder did not see it.
Next sighting was Sun 1st March. I was walking back from Claddagh beach and along Nimmo's Pier and scanning across at Longwalk for about 30min and no sighting of the AHG. I seen two UK birders and went for a chat. They were scanning for the AHG. I gave the area the bird favours one last scan and the bird was there and stayed for 30mins.
The only thing that is regular about this is, on each occasion in the past week, it has appeared at low tide at the opposite side of the Corrib river to Nimmo's Pier known as Longwalk and the time frame is for 9.30am to 3.30pm. Also bearing in mind it had not been seen since the 25th Jan.
Even you dip on the AHG the Adult Kumlien's might be worth the visit.

Tom

Hi all - I relocated the AHG on 21/02 at about 8am and put Dan's crew onto it when they arrived - I saw it on and off from Nimmo's on the far side of the river until about 11:30am when it flew off towards the docks.
I think luck does play a part, but I'd go anyway and take my chances!! ( you never know what else you may find!! )

Cheers

James

Some Nimmo's photos on my blog here ( and my visit in Feb 2008 in the 'birds 2008' gallery ):

http://www.freewebs.com/jameshunter2/index.htm

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back