• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Galway Birding (local patch) (1 Viewer)

Otter at Salt Lake, Clifden yesterday. Came up with small fish on every second dive or so. Probably my best views of an Otter even though I see one out here every 2 or 3 weeks.

Dermot

Attachments

• Otter 3.jpg
    Otter 3.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 34
  • Otter 4.jpg
    Otter 4.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Otter 7.jpg
    Otter 7.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Otter 9.jpg
    Otter 9.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 36
Dermot...shame on you!

Didn't you know that the Connemara Lake monster 'stales baybies and ates them'.

I got that quote from the Jackie-Healy Rae facebook page.

It's that time of the year again to be wary of strange birdcalls....heard something mad around NUI campus today and it turned out to be a Great Tit....if in doubt......it's always going to be a Great Tit.

Long-eared Owls calling and displaying near Moycullen and Rahoon over the last few days. Would be a few hours well spent for anyone to go out at dusk to see if they can track down a pair of easily the most under-recorded bird in the county if not the country.

BirdWatch Galway
invites you to
" The East Coast Nature Reserve -
owned and managed by BirdWatch Ireland "
an illustrated presentation by
Niall Hatch
Development Officer with BirdWatch Ireland
on
Friday, 5th of March 2010
at 8pm
Anno Santo Hotel,
Threadneedle Road, Salthill
Admission is free but contributions will be much appreciated.

Tim Griffin is 99% sure he had the Pacific Diver at Doorus Pier today around 3.15pm. Was looked for latter but no seen.

Attachments

• Doorus Pier.jpg
    Doorus Pier.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 67
Hi Sean

Sorry for late reply, haven't been near a computer in the last while between one thing and another.
The are several theories for the record poor winter of white-wings in not alone Galway but all of Ireland for that matter.
Some say the closure of the dumps North and South is finally catching up with us (very few large gulls in Galway this winter).
The fishing season was very short this winter and quotas have been significantly cut. I've never seen so many boats tied up in Rossaveel for such long periods.
Some argue the summer in Arctic Canada was particularly bad. Evidence of this is the near absence of juvenile Pale-bellied Brent Geese this winter.
You could also say we have had excellent numbers of white-wings in the recent winters so are we just going through a cycle, have we been spoiled?
The weather was fairly settled this winter also particularly from New Years onwards which may not have deposited many birds but you'd have to wonder how susceptible gulls are to weather systems.
I believe the reason for the low numbers this winter is probably a combination of several or all of the above.
I think we had 6 different Kumlien's Gull in Galway last winter and up 12 and 11 Icelands at Nimmo's and Rossaveel respectively. This winter there's been 2at Nimmo's, one at Rossaveel, two at Ross Beach making just five Icelands in the county for the winter. We've had no Glaucous for that matter though we did have a Thayers|:S|?
Hopefully this was just a duff year?

Dermot

Found a Scandinavian Rock Pipit Anthus petrosus littoralis. Sent the pics to a few of the lads for their thoughts and they are confident of the ID. The pink flush to the breast is an important ID feature compared to our own Rock Pipit which is a dull Grey.
Photos taken on the 4th an 9th March at the gate at Mutton Island Causeway.

Attachments

• DSC00481 040310.jpg
    DSC00481 040310.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC00489 040310.jpg
    DSC00489 040310.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC00490 040310.jpg
    DSC00490 040310.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC0549 090310.jpg
    DSC0549 090310.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC0550 090310.jpg
    DSC0550 090310.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 71
It almost seems strange to see an Iceland Gull at Nimmo's this year, with only 3 or so turning up on the pier. Also a Glaucous + Herring gull hybrid and the slipway today.

Attachments

• P1000989 220310.jpg
    P1000989 220310.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 59
  • P1000977 220310.jpg
    P1000977 220310.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC0657 220310.jpg
    DSC0657 220310.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 51
Recent Pics

Wren nest complete with the jar of Bovril (Wrens are obviously in the "love it" camp), Inisturbot, probably a communal roost.
Fulmar, Renvyle Point.
Mike Davis and Aonghus "two hats" O'Donaill at the Pacific Diver twitch.
Whooper Swan, Lough Muree, Co. Clare. Note the unusual bill pattern. Can't recall seeing a Whooper with so much black on the bill before (Whooper x Trumpeter hybrid? ;)). Two colour-ringed birds in the small flock of seven birds. Managed to get one of the codes while it was upending.
Raven eyrie, one of fifteen I've located so far this Spring in Connemara. First chicks hatched early last week.

Dermot

Attachments

• Wren Nest.jpg
    Wren Nest.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Fulmar.jpg
    Fulmar.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Finvarra.jpg
    Finvarra.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 83
  • Whooper.jpg
    Whooper.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Raven Eyrie.jpg
    Raven Eyrie.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 70
It was the very same size and had the same proportions as the surrounding Whoopers. I think it's just a Whooper at the extreme end of bill pattern variation.

Dermot

Attachments

• 7612.jpg
    7612.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 7614.jpg
    7614.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 7617.jpg
    7617.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 53
127 Wheatear Joe Adamson, Knockranny, Moycullen 23rd March
128Sand Martin AOD, Bunnagippaun nr. Oughterard this morning.

129/143 Manx Shearwater Rossadillask, 26th March.

The total I have for 2010 on my Excel sheet comes to 143 species. Obviously we have forgotten to add some species as we went along but its very hard to keep tabs on what is or isn't on the list when looking back over several pages of this thread.

Pics of the Red-necked Grebe off Newtownlynch Pier on Sunday.

Dermot

Attachments

• RN Grebe 1.jpg
    RN Grebe 1.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 37
  • RN Grebe 2.jpg
    RN Grebe 2.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 56
  • RN Grebe 3.jpg
    RN Grebe 3.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 48
  • RN Grebe 4.jpg
    RN Grebe 4.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 45
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back