• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Galway Birding (local patch) (2 Viewers)

I realise I am picking one sentence out of context, but I think an important factor is population turnover. I believe that Buzzards (and probably Red Kites) will out-breed low level persecution - which is probably the best term for what we are suffering in Ireland. The eagles, taking so many years to mature and producing maybe a single chick in a good year are very vulnerable to the drip-drip effect of a minority of farmers/game rearers/whoever picking off birds.

Absolutely, agree entirely, but, even though Buzzards and Red Kites are likely to produce enough fledged young to compensate for low-level poisoning, it is surely, at least on a local level, still a significant limiting factor. Until such time as the Red Kites begin to breed (fingers crossed for this year, I would assume that the pairs that failed last year will be that bit wiser, and some new pairs may also at least attempt to breed), they are still very vulnerable to poisoning, of course (though, in the long run, second-generation rodenticides could cause far more problems for this species in particular). As you say, the eagles, especially Golden, would always have low productivity, even under ideal conditions, and will always be vulnerable to even low levels of poisoning.

Buzzards have been poisoned and shot in this area too, but not in any sustained or targeted way as far as I can see, just people who shouldn't be allowed to own pointed sticks being permitted to hold gun licences.

Any time I meet people and mention Buzzards, I point out that they eat such popular creatures as rats, rabbits and young crows taken from the nest...they're practically the farmers' friend! If even a handful of people gain a greater appreciation of the benign nature of these mysterious birds that are becoming more and more familiar down here, then that would be great.
Regards,
Harry

Poss. Spoonbill

Ref my email and texts to many this confirms that Marty Kerrane saw a Spoonbill at Tawin Island last night (Mon 12th). Location is - beyond the bridge and to the left in the water at or about before the the sharp right hand bend.

148 Little Tern, Inishmore, 10th April (Dermot Breen).
149 Spoonbill, Tawin, 12th April (Marty Kerrane).

I see a few Cuckoos have turned up on the south coast over the weekend alright so not exceptionally early.
Think we are due another Hoopoe, was half hoping for one on Inishmore on Saturday but where do you start to look?

Dermot

Think we are due another Hoopoe, was half hoping for one on Inishmore on Saturday but where do you start to look?

Dermot

In my experience, 9 times out of 10 they prefer a relatively quiet and sheltered lane with central grassy strip. ;)

Though every such lane I tried over the weekend let me down. :C

Owen

That should be relatively easy then on Inishmore as there must be only a few hundred miles of boreens on Inishmore if you were to add them all up;)

Dermot

Spoonbill at Tawin this morning. Nice find by Marty Kerrane.

Attachments

• 20100413095402 130410.jpg
    20100413095402 130410.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC0860 130410.jpg
    DSC0860 130410.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC0875 130410.jpg
    DSC0875 130410.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC02040 130410.jpg
    DSC02040 130410.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 55
I got a great tick at Inch Levels, Donegal yesterday. A pair of black swans and, much more importantly, with them what looked like a cygnet. I haven’t seen a cygnet reported anywhere for Inch Levels and I know now that breeding pairs are very rare (I think max reported for UK is 11 pairs in 2004).
It was a medium range sighting from the bridge leading to the Tooban hide looking right (North or Northeast) up the canal / river that runs by the hide. There was a lot of overhanging vegetation, which made it difficult to get a good sighting of the ‘cygnet’. I was very pushed for time. If I had known then how rare breeding pairs are, I would have made time to check it out more thoroughly. There was definitely a small bird with the two swans.

In Sligo this morning I had Wheatears at Lisadell, Whimbrels at Trabawn and a pair of Eiders at Raghly, the male in magnificent breeding plumage. Big numbers of Great Northerns also about.

I got a great tick at Inch Levels, Donegal yesterday. A pair of black swans and, much more importantly, with them what looked like a cygnet. I haven’t seen a cygnet reported anywhere for Inch Levels and I know now that breeding pairs are very rare (I think max reported for UK is 11 pairs in 2004).
It was a medium range sighting from the bridge leading to the Tooban hide looking right (North or Northeast) up the canal / river that runs by the hide. There was a lot of overhanging vegetation, which made it difficult to get a good sighting of the ‘cygnet’. I was very pushed for time. If I had known then how rare breeding pairs are, I would have made time to check it out more thoroughly. There was definitely a small bird with the two swans.

In Sligo this morning I had Wheatears at Lisadell, Whimbrels at Trabawn and a pair of Eiders at Raghly, the male in magnificent breeding plumage. Big numbers of Great Northerns also about.

As far as I am aware, Black Swan has never previously been recorded as breeding in a wild state in Ireland. While obviously derived from captive stock, this record is well worth following up to confirm the identity of the smaller bird as a Black Swan cygnet.
Regards,
Harry

The small bird I saw with the Black Swans was not a cygnet. It was black. Having done some research, Black Swan cygnets are light grey brown - almost whitish looking. Sorry for the false alarm. It's a bit early yet for cygnets.

152 Common Eider, Slyne Head, 18th April.

Visited the Slyne Head islands yesterday with Martin O'Malley and John Brittain. It's a fantastic spot, one of the hidden gems of the county. We had a minimum of 9 Eider, max. 18. Came across a nest with five eggs. They've been breeding out there for a few years now. Also out there were breeding Raven, 20 Shag nests with alot actually just hatching now, 20+ Fulmar nests, female Merlin (migrant?), a rather lost looking Willow Warbler out on Oileán Imill, a late Purple Sandpiper, 30 Whimbrel and 2000+ Manx Shearwaters feeding just offshore. The latter were an amazing sight, have never been so close to them. They were popping right up beside the boat after diving. No terns yet and the gulls don't seem to have started nesting either so I'd say in a months time the place will be even more manic.

I was cringing thinking to myself what passes the place or drops onto the outer island in Spring but particularly Autumn having seen the Willow hopping around rock pools (no cover of more than 2 inches out there except for derelict buildings) and seeing how close the shearwaters were passing the lighthouse.
I'll be back I hope....

Dermot

A few shots from the past few days.

Attachments

• DSC0909 180410.jpg
    DSC0909 180410.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC0823 100410.jpg
    DSC0823 100410.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC02051 150410.jpg
    DSC02051 150410.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN4070 100410.jpg
    DSCN4070 100410.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC0820 100410.jpg
    DSC0820 100410.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 52
Every now and then nature lets you get close. The number of times I have tried to get a shot of a Grasshopper Warbler and only every succeeded once and a poor shot at that which was about 3 years ago. The second time was today at Menlo. Just one of those magic moments. First pic just shows how skulking the bird is. Often hear but not seen.

Attachments

• DSC0941 200410.jpg
    DSC0941 200410.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC0943 200410.jpg
    DSC0943 200410.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC0963 200410.jpg
    DSC0963 200410.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC0966 200410.jpg
    DSC0966 200410.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCN4090 200410.jpg
    DSCN4090 200410.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 68
Dotterel

157 Dotterel, Ballyconneely Golf Course, 23rd April

Very happy to find this beauty this afternoon with 100 Golden Plover. Last seen flying high to the North. Will check again in the morning.

Dermot

Attachments

• Dotterel 1.jpg
    Dotterel 1.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 44
  • Dotterel 2.jpg
    Dotterel 2.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Dotterel 3.jpg
    Dotterel 3.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 39
  • Dotterel 4.jpg
    Dotterel 4.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Dotterel 5.jpg
    Dotterel 5.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 53
Photos from yesterday. Was showing very well when away from the main Golden Plover flock. Basking Shark south of Davillaun near Inishbofin also yesterday and

158 Great Skua, north of Davillaun, 25th April.

Dermot

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Basking Shark.jpg
    Basking Shark.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 64
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back