• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (18 Viewers)

the boys + yourself mainly got it during the morning - i would suppose that the bird is doing rounds in its territory...(though given four dips im probably not the best person to ask!)

woodpecker

the boys + yourself mainly got it during the morning - i would suppose that the bird is doing rounds in its territory...(though given four dips im probably not the best person to ask!)

I would try to be on site about 7 .00 the last time that i have seen it arrived at 8 am and only stayed a few seconds prehaps due to my movment in the car.Get your sat navs on stand by for the flood of woodpec reports after todays argus bit on the Drumin woody.25 twite at Soldiers point no harriers on show at 9 am today.
Pics of twite today and merlin from 2 weeks ago at Cruiestown.

Attachments

• IMG_8237_edited.jpg
    IMG_8237_edited.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_8243_edited.jpg
    IMG_8243_edited.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_8227_edited.jpg
    IMG_8227_edited.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_8004_edited.jpg
    IMG_8004_edited.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_8021_edited.jpg
    IMG_8021_edited.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 63
I'm doing an outing along the Navvy Bank with the Cavan Branch of Birdwatch Ireland on Sunday - if anybody is interested meet at Soldiers Point at 11am on Sunday 16th Nov.

It was quiet around Clogher Head and Dunany this morning. A few ducks at KCP 40 Mallard, 2 Wigeon, 1 Whooper Swan, 15 Tufted Duck, 1 Pochard and 3 Scaup the best.

No sign of the woodpecker at 8.45-9.15 the last few mornings

A flock of 15 - 20 waxwings flew over the road from the racecourse road area towards the old dump near Dundalk docks about 11:30ish this morning. The flew right into the dump - I had no time to look further...

A flock of 15 - 20 waxwings flew over the road from the racecourse road area towards the old dump near Dundalk docks about 11:30ish this morning. The flew right into the dump - I had no time to look further...
PK had them in exact same area - he said they flew from Ath Lethan area (housing development at Racecourse Rd) to Tain Bridge.

Reports of a Cattle Egret in the Termonfeckin area this week. This has not been confirmed and it has not been seen since. Hopefully it will re-appear, I'm keeping a check on the area.

Reports of a Cattle Egret in the Termonfeckin area this week. This has not been confirmed and it has not been seen since. Hopefully it will re-appear, I'm keeping a check on the area.

Thats great news Margaret. I would not mind having a look around next week. Did you go for the woodpecker?

Thats great news Margaret. I would not mind having a look around next week. Did you go for the woodpecker?[/QUOTE
Tied up with family situation at the moment, with Sean our brother in hospital for past 2 weeks and likely to be there for weeks to come. So not out at all except checking for Cattle Egret and will keep everybody informed if it is seen again. Sighting in Belcotton area, between there and Nunneryland, will give more accurate location when I get time, though it has not been seen for some days ... must be somewhere else locally though!!

Hi Margaret. Good to see someone else burning the midnight (and beyond) oil! :-O
I note you said that the reports have not been confirmed. How reliable are the reports? Do you know when it was last seen?

Hi Margaret. Good to see someone else burning the midnight (and beyond) oil! :-O
I note you said that the reports have not been confirmed. How reliable are the reports? Do you know when it was last seen?
It was seen in the same place last year but I only heard this recently. I asked them to contact me if they saw it this year and I got a call to say it was there but it left just before I arrived (typical!). They seemed confident and had checked it out in bird books. They took a photo last year which I haven't seen yet. It sounds right, they commented on how it was walking almost underneath the cattle. Was hoping to see it so that I could confirm it before saying anything but as it's not there this last week, I thought it only fair to let people know so that they can be on the look-out. They said that it would not be there every day last year but that it did keep coming back until the cattle were put into the shed.

cattle egret

It was seen in the same place last year but I only heard this recently. I asked them to contact me if they saw it this year and I got a call to say it was there but it left just before I arrived (typical!). They seemed confident and had checked it out in bird books. They took a photo last year which I haven't seen yet. It sounds right, they commented on how it was walking almost underneath the cattle. Was hoping to see it so that I could confirm it before saying anything but as it's not there this last week, I thought it only fair to let people know so that they can be on the look-out. They said that it would not be there every day last year but that it did keep coming back until the cattle were put into the shed.

Had a look for cattle egret today found the cattle but not the egret.Got a black redstart at clogher pier and a grey phalorope at balagan point.

Attachments

• DSCF5646_edited.jpg
    DSCF5646_edited.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCF5644_edited.jpg
    DSCF5644_edited.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCF5143_edited.JPG
    DSCF5143_edited.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCF5142_edited.JPG
    DSCF5142_edited.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 55
twite at soldiers point, blackredstart at clogherhead and grey phalarope at belagan

Great day's birding!! Unfortunately I didn't get to the Grey Phal until the light had faded but attached are my best shots.

Attachments

• GPhal2.jpg
    GPhal2.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 59
  • GPhal4.jpg
    GPhal4.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 56
  • GPhal1.jpg
    GPhal1.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 58
  • GPhal3.jpg
    GPhal3.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 53
Just got an email with a photo of a waxwing taken in the bellurgan area (gardens) over the weekend - photo from Margaret R attached. There were two birds apparently feeding on rowan on saturday. Briefly check out the area this afternoon but didn't see anything. Phalarope was not present between cooley point and balaggan point around high tide but large numbers of great northern divers and a grey seal calling mournfully. A merlin was harrying the waders using the ruined farm as a base for making its attacks out to sea.

Attachments

• waxwing margaret roddy.jpg
    waxwing margaret roddy.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Gave a talk to a group of scouts (in fact "cubs") in Omeath last night - amazing ignorance of even the most basic identifications (unable to identify greenfinch, wren, swallow), but at least fairly civilised by the standards of 12 year old children - i suppose i'll have to go back again...

No sign of the pecker this morning 8.45-9.00. No sign either of the Black Redstart at Clogher Head. Quiet at Dunany and Cruisetown. KCP had 18 Tufted Duck 20
Mallard 1 Whooper Swan3 Teal 2 Goldeneye and 1 Female Scaup. Also a hybrid Tufedxsomething- whitish nose patch and had a pale ring on the neck (not visable in pic).

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back