• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (21 Viewers)

I will try this again!!!

No sign of the pecker this morning 8.45-9.00. No sign either of the Black Redstart at Clogher Head. Quiet at Dunany and Cruisetown. KCP had 18 Tufted Duck 20
Mallard 1 Whooper Swan3 Teal 2 Goldeneye and 1 Female Scaup. Also a hybrid Tufedxsomething- whitish nose patch and had a pale ring on the neck (not visable in pic).

Attachments

• Buzzard.jpg
    Buzzard.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 97
  • Tuftyx.jpg
    Tuftyx.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 113
A few photos from the Cavan BWI branch outing to Dundalk bay on Sunday...the twite were the highlight.

Later the grey phalarope turned up at Balaggan point...

Attachments

• twite five and a linnet.jpg
    twite five and a linnet.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 114
  • carlingford mountain from soldiers point.jpg
    carlingford mountain from soldiers point.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 98
  • stonechat male soldeirs point.jpg
    stonechat male soldeirs point.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 91
  • grey phalarope.jpg
    grey phalarope.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 104
  • grey phalarope twitch.jpg
    grey phalarope twitch.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 138
Forgot to mention - a female wood duck has been frequenting a pond near Cootehill (private residence) for the last couple of weeks...

(Photo: E. McKenna)

Attachments

• Wood Duck 2.jpg
    Wood Duck 2.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
No Pecker today 9.00-9.15 at Dromin. The best at Clogher head was a Merlin. Cruisetown quiet except for 20 Whooper Swans which had been feeding in the fields but were disturbed. There is some turnips or kale near the back road at cruisetown.Perhaps this is attracting them?
At KCP 10 Tufted Duck 1 female Scaup and 74 Whooper Swans. One of the swans had a dirty beak may have been foraging nearby.
One of the swans had a yellow neck collar 2J16

One of the swans had a yellow neck collar 2J16
Hi Peter. I don't know if you had any luck in locating some history for this bird, but I did come across the attached document showing yellow collared whoopers recorder in 1999/2000. "Your" bird is not listed, but birds with numbers either side of it (2j13, 2j15 and 2j18) are - I would assume they were all ringed together. They were all reported from Lough Swilly.
There is an email address at the bottom of the document from where you might get some more info.
Hope this is of some help.
Derek

Attachments

• 1999-2000_FEEDBACK_HEADER1.doc
    30.5 KB · Views: 924
Hi Peter. I don't know if you had any luck in locating some history for this bird, but I did come across the attached document showing yellow collared whoopers recorder in 1999/2000. "Your" bird is not listed, but birds with numbers either side of it (2j13, 2j15 and 2j18) are - I would assume they were all ringed together. They were all reported from Lough Swilly.
There is an email address at the bottom of the document from where you might get some more info.
Hope this is of some help.
Derek

Thanks Derek.

No Whoopers today. 10 Tufted Duck 1 female Scaup 2 Mallard.
No sign of the Mrs pecker this morning 7.45-8.00 and 10.00-10.15

Would grey phal make it 181....
Yes Gerry, it would. I didn't have it on the list :eek!:, even though I recall meeting Eamonn Larrisey shortly after he had one at Clogherhead. I also seem to recall Don seeing one?
Amended list attached.

Attachments

• Louth Birds List 2008 - 211108.pdf
    16.1 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
At least one gadwall at ballymac bay yesterday - also huge numbers of birds on the wet meadows to the north of the racecourse. Over 2000 blacktailed godwits and similar number of lapwing...

Ive just noticed that I have 165 birds to date - not sure how i did that (shirly shome mishtake?) - and still theoretically possible are SEO, lapland bunting, GS pecker, glaucous gull, little auk, purple sand, barnacle goose and goosander, black redstart...
Otherwise I think Enda is still leading with 173, Gerry a nose behind on 172

Whats Derek on?

Are you asking about my medication or the number of birds in 2008?? ;)
I am only on 155 and would be delighted with 160 for the year. Some birds still not on my list, but obtainable, are Merlin (yes!), GSWpecker, SEOwl, BlackTDiver, Jack Snipe and LTDuck. So a trip to Baltray and Dromin is on the cards. Because I didn't start counting till end January, I don't have LTDuck or RNDuck on my list, thought I had seen them over the winter, but couldn't be sure if it was in 2008 or not.

Last edited:
FYI - Adult White Stork not far away in the Isle of Man. Has one ever been recorded in Louth?

Yes at Baltray.I think in 1974.

No sign of the pecker this morning 8.15-8.30. Very quiet at Clogher Head Dunany beach and Cruisetown. The best on Cruisetown beach, this adult Med Gull. KCP had 15 Tufted Duck and a single female Scaup.

Attachments

• med gull.jpg
    med gull.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 91
Are you asking about my medication or the number of birds in 2008?? ;)
I am only on 155 and would be delighted with 160 for the year. Some birds still not on my list, but obtainable, are Merlin (yes!), GSWpecker, SEOwl, BlackTDiver, Jack Snipe and LTDuck. So a trip to Baltray and Dromin is on the cards. Because I didn't start counting till end January, I don't have LTDuck or RNDuck on my list, thought I had seen them over the winter, but couldn't be sure if it was in 2008 or not.

On 159 myself....but hope to get Short eared Owl, Snow Bunting, Black redstart and Waxwing and Eider before christmas passes us by. That would leave me with 164...I would be happy with that:king:

ps there is a Merlin regularly on the rocks at Clogher Head (eastern side). I have seen it 3 out of the last 5 visits.

Last edited:
Word of a possible spotted sandpiper at giles quay today had me looking up wader books (from which I conclude that the sandpiper i had at marsh road last week must have been a green sandpiper) - nothing definate yet though...

The best out this morning was this first winter Iceland Gull feeding among the rubbish at Port Oriel, Clogher Head.
KCP had a pair of Whooper Swans 17 Tufted Duck 1 Scaup.
Also a pic attached of the 'Giles Quay Sandpiper' You can just make out a pale edge/tip on one of the tertials

Attachments

• fwiceclogher1.jpg
    fwiceclogher1.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 79
  • iceclogher2.jpg
    iceclogher2.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 80
  • piper.jpg
    piper.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Did anyone notice a large area of natural habitat cleared away on the Head (Port Oriel).
All fern,bracken,bramble and gorse totally gone over a large area.This was a haven for Whitethroat,Reed Bunting and other arriving migrants in Summer.Was there not a record of Icterine Warblers seen here?.Does anybody know a reason for this work?.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back