• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (29 Viewers)

Welcome to the forum Neal. Spotted Sand sure is proving a difficult bird to locate. Despite decent search of the area this morning by myself and several other birders, no sign of it. I must have just missed you yesterday at the barn owl site.

Sancho. If you are going to Newry, the coastal route round Carlingford and Omeath (via Giles Quay) could save you up to an hour in traffic! PS Dont forget the pect sandpiper which is showing well at Lochbrickland Lake - only 10mins North of Newry on the main Belfast road.

Last edited:
Sancho. If you are going to Newry, the coastal route round Carlingford and Omeath (via Giles Quay) could save you up to an hour in traffic! PS Dont forget the pect sandpiper which is showing well at Lochbrickland Lake - only 10mins North of Newry on the main Belfast road.
Thanks Derek, the anticipation is killing me....a spotty and a pec, and a car-ful of low-priced, low-vat goodies!!! Just don´t tell the Patriotic Police (BTW...any binocular shops in Newry?;))

for the barn owl the first half hour of proper darkness, not dusk, is when i've seen it and every time it has come from the left side as you leave town and headed across the road to the fields beyond

for the barn owl the first half hour of proper darkness, not dusk, is when i've seen it and every time it has come from the left side as you leave town and headed across the road to the fields beyond
Thanks Beanbagbirder. So 4.30 to 5pm would be best? I intend checking again tomorrow evening, so fingers crossed. Have you seen it each time at the cut hedge on the left as you exit town?

I had another look for the Ardee Road Barn Owl this evening from 4.55pm to 6.10pm but had no luck. There are two hedges cut back on this strech of road - one on the left just past the filling station and the other further out on the right opposite the Manor ... development fence/screen. Checked both and also the drive up to St Olivers hospital which is lined with mature beech etc.

Howya Frankie - I suppose it took a county record to do it!

Anyway I would nominate the spotted sandpiper as bird of the year so far, the GSW being a very close second, and still a month to go!

Hi Breffni
No. Not at all, been trying to get on online for months, no good with computers, had to get my daughter Sharon to help me, by the way what was the GSW can't remember.

gsw

Hi Breffni
No. Not at all, been trying to get on online for months, no good with computers, had to get my daughter Sharon to help me, by the way what was the GSW can't remember.

Well done Frankie on a great find,GSW short for Great Spotted Woodpecker.
Gerry

Attachments

• IMG_7815_edited.jpg
    IMG_7815_edited.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 60
  • sand piper glyes_0007.jpg
    sand piper glyes_0007.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 62
I was out on the marsh at the end of the Shore Road this morning (11.42am) when I heard an aircraft north of my location. Looking towards Rockmarshall I saw a smalll yellow aeroplane almost at sea level - I thought it was in trouble! Viewing through my bins it was approx 80ft above the water level and made three very low passes before heading NE towards Carlingford. The aircraft on each occasion flew into and scattered large flocks of birds that it had disturbed.
Apart from the dangers of such low flying (is this allowed?), the danger is obviously increased dramatically when large numbers of birds are flying in the area. Plus the distrubance caused to the birds iun the area.
The aircraft was on 1950's / 60's looking design, single engined, strutted-high winged, with two wheels at the front and a smaller one under the tail.
Any reports of similar occurances before??

I had no luck again with the barn owl this evening 5.05 - 5.55pm. Attached are a few photos from the weekend. Take a close look at the heron in pic 1 - is he a good fisherman or what! 8-P

Attachments

• IMG_2173.jpg
    IMG_2173.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2155.jpg
    IMG_2155.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2562.jpg
    IMG_2562.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2125.jpg
    IMG_2125.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2504.jpg
    IMG_2504.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 61
If you can get the reg of the plane on the wings we might be able to find out the owner. I know that there does be a kit plane flying around the area most weekends, not sure what colour though

Reminder: Anthony McGeehan will give a talk on birding Northern Ireland this evening (Monday 1st Dec) at the Spirit Store, Dundalk Docks at 8pm.

All are welcome!

Positive ID of a Barn Owl flying over the bypass past Xerox at the new roundabout at 23:58 tonight
Maybe we should try to find out their nest sites to protect them or even just provide an alternate artificial nest box in the area?
What kind of area do they normally cover in their territory?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back