• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park, Billingham. UK (2 Viewers)

Another brief visit this afternoon. Pretty much the same range of birds again though with the addition of two Jays which came into the trees above the car park tables but never settled for long nor gave decent views and A Brambling making a very brief visit to the tables. A Little Egret was flying around again. Lots of Redwing and Fieldfare around today again plus a few Mistle Thrush and Song Thrush.

Three different sources have now told me that the park is likely to be handed over to Tees Valley Wildlife Trust sometime in the New Year, possibly around April as part of the council cutbacks. Likewise with Beck Valley. Not sure whether it's a good thing or a bad thing - we'll just have to wait and see.
mention your info about the Park being taken over to my boss who serves on the Tees Valley Wildlife Trust committee and according to him it is highly unlikely that they will take the park over. It is all to do with money as usual and a bit too long to go into on this site. I will look out for you over the Coming week and give you a bit more detail

Thanks for the update Alan. I'm only hearing about it third hand. The latest rumour is that TVWT was taking over Beck Valley WP and Cowpen Bewley WP and retaining the services of two wardens! The few people I've talked to seem to favour the idea as the Trust likely have more idea than the Council about how to manage the parks for wildlife. There's been a few issues over the last year. The money situation with the Council was the reason cited for the possible change in ownership.

You know what rumours are like though. It will be interesting to see what actually occurs in the long run.

A first look around of the year this morning. Fine but overcast and a cold fresh wind.

Not a startling start to the year with very few birds seen around the Park.

When I arrived the car park tables were quite busy with the usual Chaffinch, Yellowhammer, Reed Bunting, Dunnock, Robin, Great Tit and Blue Tit. Several Blackbird were in the hawthorn hedge behind the feeders.

Heading over to the lake I only saw Wren and numerous Blackbirds though just as I reached the lake a flock of Fieldfare 40-50 flew over from east to west but didn't land.

The lake is still mostly iced over with just a small area of ice free water though a little larger and closer than on my last visit. It held Mallard, Pochard x4 (3m 1f), Gadwall x8, Coot, Moorhen, Tufted Duck x8 (1m,7f) and lots of Black-headed Gulls. An oddity on the ice on the west side were two rabbits scampering about. Whilst watching the ducks a Robin was in the bushes bedside me and Magpie x3 and Crow x2 landed close by. A small flock of Goldfinch x6 were feeding in the alders behind me.

Walking around the lake and heading back to the car park the only birds of note were a Sparrowhawk flying over the hide and into the wood along the west side and a Little Egret on Cow Bridge Beck in it's usual place.

* Of note a drake Ring-necked Duck was seen mid-week but only that one time on the afternoon. There was no sign next day though yesterday afternoon one was on Dormans Pool.

Attachments

• IMG_9467b.jpg
    IMG_9467b.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_9483a.jpg
    IMG_9483a.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_9381a.jpg
    IMG_9381a.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9337a.jpg
    IMG_9337a.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9415a.jpg
    IMG_9415a.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 48
A nice sunny afternoon for a look around.

Quite a few birds on the car park tables when I arrived but nothing of any particular note.

A Little Egret was on Cow Bridge Beck again viewable from the start of the boardwalk as it circled around the beck-weir area.

The main lake is still mostly frozen over but quite a few ducks were present. With Mallard, Coot, Moorhen, Pochard, Tufted Duck and Gadwall. Most notable was the return of the drake Ring-necked Duck. A shame the ice free area has moved away from the bank again so the birds weren't that close, but still giving good views in the sun.

And yes that is a rubber band around the neck of the Tufted Duck - someone should have won a prize! It looked loose enough and should hopefully perish and drop off in the not too distant future.

The only other birds of note seen were Kestrel, Sparrowhawk and a small flock of Goldfinch.

Attachments

• IMG_3067a.jpg
    IMG_3067a.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3052a.jpg
    IMG_3052a.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2970a.jpg
    IMG_2970a.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3194a.jpg
    IMG_3194a.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2897a.jpg
    IMG_2897a.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 61
First visit of the year to Cowpen Bewley. Yellowhammer, Blue, Great & Coal Tits, Tree Sparrow, Blackbird, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Reed Bunting and Robins on the car park tables.
Little Egret on the beck near the boardwalk bridge before flying over towards the Lake.
On the lake only the north-east corner was ice free and had Coot, Moorhen, Gadwall, Mallard, Tufted Duck, Pochard, Mute Swan and the Ring Necked Duck:t:.

Plenty of Gulls on the ice which all took off when a Sparrowhawk flew over.

When I got back to the car a Sparrowhawk went for the birds at the feeders then landed on the fence behind the bushes. Less than three feet away from it (on this side of the bushes) a Blackbird held its ground and squawked at it until it took off.
Can't decide if it was Brave or Stupid:eek!::eek!::-O.

Attachments

• Little Egret.jpg
    Little Egret.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Ring Necked Duck.jpg
    Ring Necked Duck.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 57
Heavy cloud and dull skies this morning but it just about remained fine.

Not a lot to see away from the car park, though at least a dozen Tree Sparrow were using the tables which is by far the most I've seen there this winter. Plus the usual tits, Yellowhammer and Reed Bunting.

The Ring-necked Duck was still on the lake but getting even further from the bank sides as the ice slowly retreats.

A few more Gadwall and Tufted Duck were present today and at least three Common Gull now.

Attachments

• IMG_3967a.jpg
    IMG_3967a.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3977a.jpg
    IMG_3977a.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4222a.jpg
    IMG_4222a.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4229a.jpg
    IMG_4229a.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 56
I'm getting a little remiss again at updating this thread. I've made several visits over the last week, just about daily, not that there's been much new to see - until yesterday that is!

The two main areas for birds has been the lake and the car park feeders and feeding station. Yesterday though we had an influx of Redpoll and Siskin.

When I arrived in the car park I met Dave Brown and whilst chatting he spotted four Redpoll in trees above the car park which dropped down behind the feeding station. When I investigated further I saw there were a few Siskin and two Brambling with them as well plus a pair of Bullfinch. Most headed over to the alders between the small hill and visitor centre so I went over there next. There appeared to be two separate groups of birds. One group comprised around 30 Lesser Redpoll and 20 Siskin with a few Goldfinch. The second group was mostly Goldfinch c.40 with a few Redpoll and Siskin. The larger Redpoll group headed off south to the other side of the A1185 and were lost from view.

The RN Duck remains on the main pond along with up to three Goldeneye - a striking male and two female type with brown heads though at least one is definitely a male in eclipse as the white patch between eye and bill is beginning to show nicely now.

Yesterday though we had temperatures of -5C overnight which mostly froze the pond leaving an ice free area a little closer to the railway line bank than usual. No sign of the Goldeneye but the RN Duck was giving very close views coming within 5-6m to feed with several Tufted Duck - the closest it's been so far. Pochard x7 and lots of Gadwall were with them. BH Gull c.100 were flitting around with at least 5 Common Gull. Heron x2 were on the far side one perched in the dead tree alongside a Sparrowhawk - another two Sparrowhawk were seen one a male was chasing after the Redpoll flock that headed across the A1185.

A small flock of Waxwing were seen in the tress on the west side of the hill before they flew off towards the car park where they briefly landed in the trees above before continuing south.

Returning to the car park I called in the feeding station and put out some food. There was plenty of activity 20 minutes later when 40-50 birds came in. I didn't know which way to look! A good assortment of the usual species with Great Tit, Blue Tit, LTT, Coal Tit and even a brief appearance from a Willow Tit - the first I've seen here in two years. Hopefully it will stick around. Other birds of note were a female Brambling with a BTO ring on it's leg with only 199 showing plus a pair of Treecreepers that came in twice.

All in all it was by far the best visit I've had for birds so far this winter and year.

Attachments

• IMG_9470a.jpg
    IMG_9470a.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_9502a.jpg
    IMG_9502a.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9212a.jpg
    IMG_9212a.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_9251a.jpg
    IMG_9251a.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_9075a.jpg
    IMG_9075a.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 59
A few more photos from yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_8977a.jpg
    IMG_8977a.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_8734a.jpg
    IMG_8734a.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_8714a.jpg
    IMG_8714a.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_8374a.jpg
    IMG_8374a.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_8365a.jpg
    IMG_8365a.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 66
Last ones for now -

The Heron and Sparrowhawk were taken looking across the pond from the railway side using three teleconverters - Canon 1.4x + Kenko 1.5x + Kenko 1.5x with a Canon 7D and Canon 400mm f5,6.

Attachments

• IMG_8774a.jpg
    IMG_8774a.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_8806a.jpg
    IMG_8806a.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_8795a.jpg
    IMG_8795a.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_8871a.jpg
    IMG_8871a.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_8319a.jpg
    IMG_8319a.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 53
Paid a visit today to Cowpen Park, had 3 Common Redpoll south over the carpark, a few Siskin around the trees near the feeding station, heard a Brambling but didnt see it, Sparrowhawk south along the railway line, Ring-necked Duck showing well
Ring-neckedDuck018.jpg

Glad you managed to catch up with it Andy. I saw it again this afternoon when it was giving even closer views - down to 2m this time. I didn't see any Redpolls today but quite a few Goldfinch were in the trees where they were and the odd Linnet by the railway line.

Nothing at all coming into the feeding station though apparently it had been busy earlier. I know the feeders were stocked up this morning but they were empty when I called. Lots of Goldfinch and Yellowhammer were in the dense car park bushes twittering away and a pair of Bullfinch were back in the bush over the gate to the feeding station.

Compared to yesterday there was very little to see overall, though I do usually find morning visits are more productive.

Attachments

• IMG_9688a.jpg
    IMG_9688a.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_9668a.jpg
    IMG_9668a.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_9692a.jpg
    IMG_9692a.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_9632a.jpg
    IMG_9632a.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_9642a.jpg
    IMG_9642a.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 46
Thanks Ian, im glad i connected with the duck too, cracking bird indeed, a lifer for me, i got there about half nine, quarter to ten, and the bird feeders where a hive of activity, they where pretty much empty when i got back to the car park about an hour later, :t:

Pretty cold and frosty this morning at -2C when I arrived though it did warm up once the sun had risen but cooled right down again when the clouds came over late morning.

I spent the morning wandering around the Park though with little to report away from the lake and car park area other than a flock of 40-50 Goldfinch in the wood west of the feeding station.

On arrival Bullfinch x3 (2m 1f) were in their usual bush above the gate to the feeding station. After putting out some food 20+ birds appeared to take advantage. Lots of Blackbird, Blue, Great and Coal Tit plus a pair of Dunock and several Chaffinch and Robins. Two Redwing feeding amongst the piles of brush made it to the edge of the feeding station as did a Treecreeper but didn't give close views. A couple of Yellowhammer, Greenfinch and a Brambling dropped in but didn't stay for long.

No sign of any Redpoll or Siskin anywhere.

The lake was mostly frozen over but a good number of ducks were present including the RN Duck and male Goldeneye. Something must have upset it as it was chasing after the other birds tugging at the feathers of Tufted Duck, Gadwall and Mallard even pouncing on them from below on several occasions. Lots of gulls mostly Black-headed Gull with just one Common Gull. Of note were two Heron in the dead tree on the west side and a pair of Canada Geese which for once the Mute Swan pair didn't chase off. Another pair of Mute Swan were on Claxton Beck where it meets Cow Bridge Beck.

No other birds were seen along Claxton Beck to the cycleway. By the weir some signs have been put up across the path saying the section upstream is no longer part of the park and to turn back. As I came down from the cycleway where there are no signs I didn't see them until I'd walked through. Looks like the upper section has been sold to the church at Geratham.

Attachments

• IMG_1514a.jpg
    IMG_1514a.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1553a.jpg
    IMG_1553a.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1562a.jpg
    IMG_1562a.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1767a.jpg
    IMG_1767a.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1737a.jpg
    IMG_1737a.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 58
After a cloudy start to the day the sun got out mid-morning and at 8C it felt pretty good as well.

Still very quiet around the park. Very little seen between the car park and lake. Even the lake had fewer birds than of late. Being a little warmer there was no ice so the birds were well spread out. The Ring-necked Duck is still present though mostly staying to the west side until three guys who looked like they were doing some sort of survey in the conservation area pushed the birds towards the middle but that was as far as it came over.

The male Goldeneye has been joined by a female though he was still tugging at the feathers of the Tufted Ducks. I could see only three Pochard today but numbers of Gadwall seemed about the same likewise Tufted Duck, Mallard, Coot and Moorhen. Another pair of Mute Swan landed on the lake but were soon seen off by the resident pair. They new pair were both number colour ringed so I'll have to send off the sighting.

Heading along Claxton Beck to the cycleway I came across one LTT, a Blue Tit and two Great Tit and they were all pretty much in the same spot. The new signs by the weir are still in place - somehow the local vandals haven't found them yet though it looks as if one from by Cloff Bridge has been thrown in the beck as a sign was face down in the water.

I headed along the cycleway for a stretch but there were next to no birds in the hedge line other than a single Wren. Other sightings were of Redwing x12, lots of Pigeons and Crows and a few Magpies.

I then headed back to the car park area and called in the feeding station. Bullfinch x3 were above the gate again. Not a scrap of food was out and I had little left in my pocket after donating it to the ducks. The main birds that came in were Chaffinch c.12, Great Tit x6, Blue Tit x2, Coal Tit x2, Robin x2, Dunnock x2, Blackbird x8. GSW x2 were in the trees behind.

Attachments

• IMG_2813a.jpg
    IMG_2813a.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2936a.jpg
    IMG_2936a.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2816a.jpg
    IMG_2816a.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2843a.jpg
    IMG_2843a.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2891a.jpg
    IMG_2891a.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 105
The skies were a bit grey this morning so I didn't hang around too long. I made do with just a walk over to the lake and back.

The car park tables were pretty busy when I arrived with Yellowhammer, Reed Bunting, Tree Sparrow, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Coal Tit, Dunnock, Robin and several Blackbirds. Two GSW were in the talls trees above.

Heading over to the lake a mixed finch flock of around 80 birds took off from the trees between the small hill and the visitor centre. I think a dog walker disturbed them and possibly a low flying helicopter. The circled around several times before heading off north to Faith Wood area. They were mostly Goldfinch c.40, Siskin c.20, Redpoll c.20 plus a few Greenfinch and Brambling. I doubt I'd have seen them if they hadn't been disturbed as the path alongside the hedge is a bit clarty now so I've been avoiding it.

The lake had the usual selection of birds. The RN Duck and drake Goldeneye are still there. A male Sparrowhawk was along the west side several times hunting. Quite a few birds were singing today as well even the Mapgies seemed to be getting in on the act with at least half a dozen grouped together on the north side.

Heading back to the car park I had intended looking in the feeding station but the volunteers were out in force trimming trees so I just spent a while at the car park tables where the birds had been displaced.

Attachments

• IMG_6673a.jpg
    IMG_6673a.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6677a.jpg
    IMG_6677a.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_6715a.jpg
    IMG_6715a.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_6747a.jpg
    IMG_6747a.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6728a.jpg
    IMG_6728a.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 51
Visit today in glorious sunshine produced nothing out of the ordinary. The Ring-necked Duck and Goldeneye are still present and I had a Peregrine flyover.

But what has happened to the feeders in the screened area across the road. They are all flat and new feeders have been erected in the muddy area on the way to the viewing holes in the screen. The birds all shot off as I came along the main path! These new tables are surrounded by bird boxes! Do they know what they are doing?

Dave

Visit today in glorious sunshine produced nothing out of the ordinary. The Ring-necked Duck and Goldeneye are still present and I had a Peregrine flyover.

But what has happened to the feeders in the screened area across the road. They are all flat and new feeders have been erected in the muddy area on the way to the viewing holes in the screen. The birds all shot off as I came along the main path! These new tables are surrounded by bird boxes! Do they know what they are doing?

Dave

I couldn't get out until late afternoon today else I'd have been over there as well trying to make use of the good light. It was certainly a nice day. I've seen a peregrine fly over a couple of times lately, usually heading from east to west and sometimes landing on one of the pylons.

The feeding station has been reversed so that you now stand where the tables/feeders used to be and look through the screen to the new tables where you used to stand! The warden said the RSPB advised the feeders should be moved every two years and that is the solution they came up with.

I must admit that I don't particularly like the way it's been reorganised but it's likely to stay that way for another year. The light can be better for viewing/photos as the sun is behind you now but there's less cover for the birds which usually fly over you now as you're stood at the screen plus the wood is still too dense restricting light levels. I thought it was a bit daft as well having nest boxes so close to the tables, especially when there's so much woodland they could have been placed.

Pretty much the same again today though no finch flock. I had a walk over this afternoon when the sun got out. RN Duck still present and the drake Goldeneye - it actually flew across the pond towards me this visit - first time that's happened.

At least five Common Gull were with 40+ BH Gull.

A dozen or so Goldfinch were in the alders by the railway and another lot in the bushes by the car park ponds but nothing else with them. A Little Egret was along Cow Bridge Beck resting on the rough grass.

Attachments

• IMG_8095 copya.jpg
    IMG_8095 copya.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_8096a.jpg
    IMG_8096a.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_8097a.jpg
    IMG_8097a.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_8108a.jpg
    IMG_8108a.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_8283aa.jpg
    IMG_8283aa.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 50
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back