• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CP4500 Powerpack (1 Viewer)

Ruby

Hi Guys,

Anyone got any thoughts or recommendations for an external powerpack for a CP4500.

The one from EagleEye has been recommended, but they seem to have fallen out of bed with their supplier and a new manufacturer has been 'coming soon' for a number of months.

I've heard that there is one from Maplins, also one from Maha Powerex, but has anyone tried these (or others..) out??

Rgds... Ruby

Ruby I use a Maplin's power pack with my 4500 lasts about 3 times longer than a nikon battery £30 inc charger.Its design is to screw into the tripod bush on the base of the camera,i dont use it that way as i use my camera for digiscoping so i strap it to my tripod handle (the lead is just long enough).I find this works very well.I dont know the part no but i think its called L56AN Li-Ion EC-702 external camera battery .Maplins have a branch at Kinston Several others on here also use this battery pack. Let us know how you get on.

I use the maplin battery too - it has never run out on me in the field. Do a search on the forums and the page link is here somewhere. I use it with my adaptor and remote release with no problems.

I use a AA battery holder with 6AA 2200mAH NimH batteries, and an adapter cable that I picked up at my local Radio Shack store. No indicator lights, no fancy frills, but it works. Price: about $1.00 for the battery holder, $4.00 for the cable, and whatever the price that you want to spend on rechargable NimHs.

I'm also considering picking up a 7.2V 3000mAH battery/charger combo (from the same place), which they sell for use in their RC model cars/planes. With the correct cable, it should also work very well.Price: around $40.00 including the cable that you'll need to go to the camera. More expensive, but also more compact.

For anyone else interested in this battery pack, I can tell you that I also bought one on line from Maplins http://maplin.co.uk -I ordered it yesterday afternoon and it was delivered to my door this morning. Stock description:-L56AN Li-Ion Ext Cam Batt. Price £29.99 inc vat. Spec:-7.2V/2000mAh compared with Nikon spec :-7.4V/680mAh for their battery supplied with cp4500. If you use a Jessop remote cable release you can attach the battery direct to the screw supplied with the cable release bracket. This battery should give you approx. 3x the usage before recharge. I have posted some shots of the battery in position on the cp4500.

Attachments

• PICT0001.JPG
    PICT0001.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 219
  • PICT0002.JPG
    PICT0002.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 190
  • PICT0003.JPG
    PICT0003.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 183
  • PICT0004.JPG
    PICT0004.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 197
Reading this thread with interest. At present I just use two batteries though was considering a third.

The Maplins option sure looks tempting considering the price v that of the extra battery I was going to buy - not as compact though!

Ian,
One of the advantages with the Maplins pack is that you can change the battery without having to remove the remote cable bracket. The other plus, is price - the Nikon battery is about £40 if I remember correctly. I'm not sure if you can buy the battery without the charger, but if so. this should make the price even better. when you buy a spare. A quick check with Maplins should confirm this.
Regards

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back