• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crazy Croppin' (1 Viewer)

dan pointon

Can't Stop
As everyone else seems to be at it, and i've been completely confused and bamboozled by most of them, I thought it was about time i did some of my own for you lot to have a go at.

Here they are, have fun guessing!!!!! As on Dave B's, they're all on Cat A of the British List.

PS - I don't have the original of pic5, because I managed to save over it with the cropped version!!!! When someone's ID'd it i'll post a similar picture of the same bird.

Attachments

• DSCN0369.jpg
    DSCN0369.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCN0468.jpg
    DSCN0468.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 125
  • DSCN012.jpg
    DSCN012.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 124
  • DSCN5158.jpg
    DSCN5158.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 127
  • DSCN6519.JPG
    DSCN6519.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
1- stumped
2- Sanderling?
3- Red-legged Partridge?
4- Robin?
5- Bittern?

Really not at all sure about these, but thought I'd get the ball rolling!

James

with low confidence levels I'll say >

RB Shrike
Sanderling
RL Partridge
Reed Warbler
Common Buzzard

actually just noticed notched tail on No: 4 so I'll go for Cetti's instead of Reed

Last edited:
Not bad at all for first guesses - i thought these were pretty hard!!!

JWN - 3! Super effort, especially with nothing else to go on
Mini-colster - 2 correct
Surreybirder - 2 correct
Londonbirder - 2 correct

I'm not saying which ones just yet, see if anyone can get the really difficult ones....

Last edited:
Right. I reckon my three correct answers are Shrike, Partridge & Robin, so I'm gonna chuck Sanderling and bring in Lesser Yellowlegs, and continue to deliberate over 5, and maybe take my shoes off ready for kicking myself later!

James

Yikes JWN, you're on fire!!!! 2 is indeed Lesserlegs, so what's No5?!

Here are the full originals for the other 4:

Attachments

• DSCN0369.jpg
    DSCN0369.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCN0468.jpg
    DSCN0468.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCN5158.jpg
    DSCN5158.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 75
  • Red Legged Partridge 2.jpg
    Red Legged Partridge 2.jpg
    756.6 KB · Views: 707
Well we have the right genus now at least - any further advances on the current? Postcardcv - i'd be inclined to stick with Jurij's train of thought...

Well done Jurij for ID'ing No5 eventually! :clap:

Also really well done to JWN for being the first to correctly ID the first 4 - great stuff.

However in the absence of JWN till Tuesday, who's going to get the 2nd lot?!

Here's the original of the Sarnie Tern:

Attachments

• DSCN6512.jpg
    DSCN6512.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 94
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back