• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crimson-breasted Woodpecker? central Bhutan (1 Viewer)

Tom Tarrant

Bird and Wildlife Tour Guide
Opus Editor
Australia
Saw this woodpecker near Trongsa, Bhutan in mid-May 2019, it responded to a Crimson-breasted WP call, the other two (2 and 3) are of another CB WP taken less than 100 kms away in Yongkhola last year. This years one (1 and 4) has much heavier-streaking on the breast and less red on the head.

Is it the same species or a different ssp?

Attachments

• cbwp_9135_800.JPG
    cbwp_9135_800.JPG
    270.4 KB · Views: 25
  • cbwp_2174_800.jpg
    cbwp_2174_800.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 18
  • cbwp_2188_800.jpg
    cbwp_2188_800.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 14
  • cbwp_9102_800.jpg
    cbwp_9102_800.jpg
    519.7 KB · Views: 17
1 I'd say is a juvenile, the red on top of the head is a feature that is common to a few juvenile 'pied' Woodpeckers.

2 and 3 are clearly males and 4 looks to be another immature based on the red on top of the head.

Last edited:
Thanks Andy, we don't get too many 'Woodies' in Oz, but several of us on the tour questioned it's taxa. I'm not sure if we brought up it's 'age'...
Tom

Face and head pattern suggests the same Andy.

Yes, presumably a juvenile male described by Rasmussen (2005) as having an all-red crown behind black forehead bar. I could find no images in support.

Note also that HBW has split Crimson-breasted Woodpecker, now recognising two species, though not followed by IOC.

https://www.hbw.com/species/scarlet-breasted-woodpecker-dryobates-cathpharius

https://www.hbw.com/species/crimson-breasted-woodpecker-dryobates-pernyii

Grahame

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back