• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cromford Canal, Derbyshire (1 Viewer)

Thought I had better get down on the canal, so I cycled to Ambergate this morning.
Better news with the Little Grebes as I found 5 broods but all small 2,1,1,1,1.
8 broods of Coots as they continue to spread to all areas of the canal, 5 broods of Moorhen only.
2 broods of Tufted Duck one with 4 small young and another with 4 well grown.
A single Water Vole at HPJ, dismal phot attached!

Attachments

• 059.JPG
    059.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 061.JPG
    061.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 063.JPG
    063.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 064.JPG
    064.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 076.JPG
    076.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 43
20 minutes on the meadows this morning, hoping for an early Hawfinch.
No Hawfinch, but I did have a Brambling over, they seem to be in good numbers this year. Also a couple of Peregrines soaring around over the river.

20 minutes on the meadows this morning, hoping for an early Hawfinch.
No Hawfinch, but I did have a Brambling over, they seem to be in good numbers this year. Also a couple of Peregrines soaring around over the river.

We tried late afternoon after the Ibis and got nothing either. Still Dipper on the river and Raven over but no Hawfinch. Did get Brambling under the trees, two with Chaffinches. They are around elsewhere so won't be long.
Should have done Wraggs but were freezing by then!

We tried late afternoon after the Ibis and got nothing either. Still Dipper on the river and Raven over but no Hawfinch. Did get Brambling under the trees, two with Chaffinches. They are around elsewhere so won't be long.
Should have done Wraggs but were freezing by then!

Dan, were the Brambling under the big beech in the car park? I only heard my bird, but it would be nice if they were feeding on the beech mast.

Had 10-12 Hawfinch fly down towards the station this morning, and then 1 showed briefly towards the cricket ground. Spoke to Roy Frost later today who had 11 flying towards the station so probably the same group.

At least 7 Hawfinch in the area today, though very mobile. A few dodgy shots attached.

Attachments

• 1297.JPG
    1297.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 59
  • 1298.JPG
    1298.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 1299.JPG
    1299.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 57
Amazing numbers this year Clive, do you happen to have a breakdown of maximum numbers over the last few years? The most i've seen over the last few winters is 7 (in February '11) but i've not visited during this one yet.

Amazing numbers this year Clive, do you happen to have a breakdown of maximum numbers over the last few years? The most i've seen over the last few winters is 7 (in February '11) but i've not visited during this one yet.

I don't have the exact numbers to hand, but a trawl back through this thread may help. Best I can offer is 2014-18, 2013-18, 2012-15?, 2011-15?, 2010-7, 2009-8 but I stand to be corrected. My own records have been some what sporadic of recent years.

I don't have the exact numbers to hand, but a trawl back through this thread may help. Best I can offer is 2014-18, 2013-18, 2012-15?, 2011-15?, 2010-7, 2009-8 but I stand to be corrected. My own records have been some what sporadic of recent years.

There were at least 20 on March 10th last year.

Thanks Clive and Dave, higher numbers then I realised of late. Hopefully I'll be able to pop down and connect with them at some point soon

Is it worth trying for hawfinch tomorrow? Rain forecasted. I'll be coming from Leeds so don't want to travel if not likely

Is it worth trying for hawfinch tomorrow? Rain forecasted. I'll be coming from Leeds so don't want to travel if not likely

Hi Linda, given the weather it might be worth holding back. Moderate visibility this morning followed by rain this afternoon, so not great conditions. They should still be present for another 6 weeks or so.

Hi Linda, given the weather it might be worth holding back. Moderate visibility this morning followed by rain this afternoon, so not great conditions. They should still be present for another 6 weeks or so.

Thanks Clive, I suspected that might be the case. We'll try another day

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back