• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cuba endemics from 18/02/24 to 01/03/24 (1 Viewer)

I've read conflicting reports about this, e.g. that any travel to Cuba between 2011-2021 is enough to refuse ESTA (so it is a retroactive measure, and 12th of January 2021 is not cut-off date.

I've also read that the question re travel history in the eligibility section of the ESTA application has been updated to:

“Travel history of specific country Have you traveled to or stayed in Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia, Yemen, or North Korea since March 1, 2011? Also, have you traveled to or stayed in Cuba since January 12, 2021?”

In that case (and I am willing to believe that's how it is), I would happily apply for ESTA (as I haven't been in Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia, Yemen nor North Korea in the last decade, and my Cuban travels were in 2018-2019).
If that is the question, you can apply for ESTA without any issue - you will be truthfully answering questions. If your ESTA request is rejected, you can then apply for a visa (and here mention you were in Cuba before the date).

If an ESTA is rejected, you are also entitled to an expedited appointment for a visa, so it is clear that an ESTA rejection in itself is not a serious issue (but lying on an application would be a serious issue)

Last edited:
I've read conflicting reports about this, e.g. that any travel to Cuba between 2011-2021 is enough to refuse ESTA (so it is a retroactive measure, and 12th of January 2021 is not cut-off date.

I've also read that the question re travel history in the eligibility section of the ESTA application has been updated to:

“Travel history of specific country Have you traveled to or stayed in Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia, Yemen, or North Korea since March 1, 2011? Also, have you traveled to or stayed in Cuba since January 12, 2021?”

In that case (and I am willing to believe that's how it is), I would happily apply for ESTA (as I haven't been in Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia, Yemen nor North Korea in the last decade, and my Cuban travels were in 2018-2019).
"The U.S. Department of State designated Cuba as a State Sponsor of Terrorism (SST) on January 12, 2021.With limited exceptions, a traveler who is found to have visited Cuba on or after this date is not eligible for travel under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) using an Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) and must apply for a visa to travel to the United States."

This is from the official DHS website, so I don't think there's any ambiguity here whatsoever!

They will know the moment you arrive in Puerto Rico as your passport has a Cuba stamp, that’s what I would assume. You can get lucky with automated passport machines instead of a person checking every passport page, but I wouldn’t gamble on it.

I have been to Cuba twice. They do not stamp passports for exactly this reason.

I have been to Cuba twice. They do not stamp passports for exactly this reason.
This whole thing seems bizarre. We did a birding trip to Cuba some years ago so that aspect isn’t a concern,personally. However, thousands go on package holidays from the UK to Cuba every year , so are we saying that all those people are then barred from the US unless they apply in person for visas ( ie can’t just use the simple online esta application ) ? If this is true, why aren’t the travel agents emphasising this to anyone booking a Cuba holiday ?

Last edited:
This whole thing seems bizarre. We did a birding trip to Cuba some years ago so that aspect isn’t a concern,personally. However, thousands go on package holidays from the UK to Cuba every year , so are we saying that all those people are then barred from the US unless they apply in person for visas ( ie can’t just use the simple online esta application ) ? If this is true, why aren’t the travel agents emphasising this to anyone booking a Cuba holiday ?
A good question. Neither the fco website nor tui mention it.

Entry requirements - Cuba travel advice
https://www.tui.co.uk/destinations/caribbean/cuba/holidays-cuba.html

Maybe whoever writes these things is unable to think beyond the narrower question of what the visa situation for Cuba itself is. Or maybe we're wrong, although I don't see how.

That would exactly be the case - ESTA application asks if you have been to the listed restricted countries. You can either lie (which is not a very good idea on an official immigration document) or you will not be eligible for ESTA and will need a visa.

This is just another attempt to intimidate people who wish to visit or work in Cuba. There is no problem getting an ESTA after visiting Cuba. Cuban authorities deliberately refrain from stamping passports in order to allow visitors to avoid such nonsense. (I've visited both Cuba and USA many times over the past 30 years and worked in both and, excepting the Obama years, we've always had to put up with one stupid policy or other).

This is just another attempt to intimidate people who wish to visit or work in Cuba. There is no problem getting an ESTA after visiting Cuba. Cuban authorities deliberately refrain from stamping passports in order to allow visitors to avoid such nonsense. (I've visited both Cuba and USA many times over the past 30 years and worked in both and, excepting the Obama years, we've always had to put up with one stupid policy or other).
That may well be so, but I believe the requirement to answer on the ESTA application whether you have visited Cuba since 2021 is a new one. Given the long reach of US authorities and the ease of data sharing, I think it's a non-trivial risk to lie about this.

That may well be so, but I believe the requirement to answer on the ESTA application whether you have visited Cuba since 2021 is a new one. Given the long reach of US authorities and the ease of data sharing, I think it's a non-trivial risk to lie about this.
It could be new, but over the years I've been asked similar questions the subject of which is absolutely none of the US authorities' business, e.g. "have you worked with the Cuban government?". I'm afraid that if I'd played the US's silly game I would never have been able to get any conservation work done. You may know that many international conservation NGOs work in Cuba—and let's just say that they have to be creative to do so. Bear in mind that it is (was?) also illegal for a UK or EU citizen to comply with Helms-Burton, so this is already a Catch-22—which, of course, is just what the people who come up with this stuff want.

Exactly, the ESTA application specifically asks if you have visited Cuba and the other restricted countries back to certain dates. If they catch you knowingly lying on the ESTA application, you will be banned entry into the US period.

Visiting Cuba (and the other countries on the list, eg Iran, Syria) only prevents you getting ESTA - it still allows you to get the normal B1 visa. For this reason, I would say it totally foolhardy to lie on the ESTA application.

It could be new, but over the years I've been asked similar questions the subject of which is absolutely none of the US authorities' business, e.g. "have you worked with the Cuban government?". I'm afraid that if I'd played the US's silly game I would never have been able to get any conservation work done. You may know that many international conservation NGOs work in Cuba—and let's just say that they have to be creative to do so. Bear in mind that it is (was?) also illegal for a UK or EU citizen to comply with Helms-Burton, so this is already a Catch-22—which, of course, is just what the people who come up with this stuff want.
My reluctance isn't an ethical one - I agree that it's an obnoxious rule, and good luck to anybody who wants to take the risk - it's purely a matter of the risk of being caught, and the consequences. Who knows which airlines are sharing passenger data with the US government, knowingly or not.

Exactly, the ESTA application specifically asks if you have visited Cuba and the other restricted countries back to certain dates. If they catch you knowingly lying on the ESTA application, you will be banned entry into the US period.

Visiting Cuba (and the other countries on the list, eg Iran, Syria) only prevents you getting ESTA - it still allows you to get the normal B1 visa. For this reason, I would say it totally foolhardy to lie on the ESTA application.
I might well try to get a 10 year US visa. There's a couple of countries on their naughty step I'd like to visit.

I might well try to get a 10 year US visa. There's a couple of countries on their naughty step I'd like to visit.
As a result of multiple Iran visits, I needed to get a visa. Was no problem at all, only comments by the guy at the US embassy about my Iran visits were along the lines of 'holiday in Iran, cool', 'I bet the food was good ', and then the conversation veered off to hornbills that the guy had seen on a golf course in Thailand or somewhere nearby 👍

My reluctance isn't an ethical one - I agree that it's an obnoxious rule, and good luck to anybody who wants to take the risk - it's purely a matter of the risk of being caught, and the consequences. Who knows which airlines are sharing passenger data with the US government, knowingly or not.
I agree: everyone must take their own decision and it needs to be pragmatic. To put this new question into context, US immigration has long required that you declare visits to Cuba anyway (along with cigars, rum, etc). Hundreds of thousands of people, most of them US citizens, have been flying through Mexico or Canada to Havana over the past few years, answering this very question posed to them by border agents on return to the USA (and typically carrying a bottle of rum). I have had US diplomats, government workers, university colleagues etc all have to do this.

I would be surprised if the B1 visa is not subject to the same conditions as the ESTA, i.e. disbarring visits to the countries teh US currently considers state sponsors of terrorism. And they used to cost a pretty packet!

I would be surprised if the B1 visa is not subject to the same conditions as the ESTA, i.e. disbarring visits to the countries teh US currently considers state sponsors of terrorism. And they used to cost a pretty packet!

You are fully eligible for a B1 visa if you have visited the counties on the ESTA ban list. And if you are a normal everyday person that visited the country for business or tourism, you will get the visa.

As regard cost, not massively expensive if you are planning multiple US visits over time - visa is 185 USD, but is valid for ten years. ESTA is only 21 USD, but only valid for two years.

Additionally, probably not important to most visitors, ESTA only allows visits up to 90 days, as opposed to six months on a visa, which can be extended.

You are fully eligible for a B1 visa if you have visited the counties on the ESTA ban list. And if you are a normal everyday person that visited the country for business or tourism, you will get the visa.

As regard cost, not massively expensive if you are planning multiple US visits over time - visa is 185 USD, but is valid for ten years. ESTA is only 21 USD, but only valid for two years.

Additionally, probably not important to most visitors, ESTA only allows visits up to 90 days, as opposed to six months on a visa, which can be extended.
Thanks Jos—a classic protection payment, I suppose, and illustration of the utterly arbitrary nature of US sanctions. Sad to see their policy going backwards again after a brief period of hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back