• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare cuckoo sighting in Goa (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanderkay

India
Hi. I live in South Goa in India. I saw a cuckoo today quite close to where I live, that seemed to be hiding in some tall grass in an abandoned plot of land. I have never seen one before. I'm quite new to birding and I've read that this is not a common bird here. I'm confused about what specific cuckoo this is. I think it may be either a lesser cuckoo or Indian cuckoo, but I'm not sure which. I have some pics that I'm attaching here, but they are blurred. Any help in identifying it would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• DSCF6195_062009.JPG
    DSCF6195_062009.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 31
  • DSCF6194_061654.jpg
    DSCF6194_061654.jpg
    13.8 MB · Views: 31
Dear zanderkay,

You would be better off posting this to the bird id q&a forum. I don't have my field guide at hand but could a large hawk-cuckoo be an alternative to the ones you already mentioned?

This has already been discussed elsewhere on BF and an identification suggested by an experienced ornithologist. Suggest this post is now removed to avoid further duplication.

Dear zanderkay,

You would be better off posting this to the bird id q&a forum. I don't have my field guide at hand but could a large hawk-cuckoo be an alternative to the ones you already mentioned?
Hi. Thanks. Yes i did post it on the bird id q&a and got some responses. Seems that it is probably a lesser cuckoo. Ruled out hawk cuckoo coz of absence of rufous or brown markings.

The original thread with fuller discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back