• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Curio 7x21 vs. CL 8x25 pocket. (1 Viewer)

Pepitogrillo

Andorra
Hello,
I'm Looking one pocket Swarovski binocular, like this two models.
But, anyone know if they have
blackout problems.
Has anyone noticed?
Thank you
PG.

Icono de Validado por la comunidad

Preference is the Curio. I sold the pocket for the Curio. Curio have better colours. Fresher. Is sharper for me. 7 time is better to hold for this small Bino. It is more compact. Viewing comfort for me without Eyeglasses is better on the Curio. Still the best Pocket Swarovski has ever built. On daylight compared to my NL Pure 8x42 the Curio is also very bright.

Sorry, I observe without glasses!!
Why you prefer the Curio?
PG.

Preference is the Curio. I sold the pocket for the Curio. Curio have better colours. Fresher. Is sharper for me. 7 time is better to hold for this small Bino. It is more compact. Viewing comfort for me without Eyeglasses is better on the Curio. Still the best Pocket Swarovski has ever built. On daylight compared to my NL Pure 8x42 the Curio is also very bright.

I agree with Aquaplas. Also the Curio has a much wider FOV and greater DOF.

Mike

My Curio 7x21 arrived today and although I have yet to try it out "in the field' I am so far very impressed. Very sharp optics, little or no CA, and it seems easier/more forgiving with eye placement than the CL 8x25. I don't use glasses when viewing with binoculars and have no problem with blackouts. Very much a keeper a better than the CL 8x25 in my opinion ( note my CL 8x25 dates from 2016 so can't say whether the later models are any better?)

I have now had a chance to try out the Curio properly, and to compare it to the CL 8x25.

In terms of construction, the Curio is very, very good. I chose the burnt orange/silver version and the fit on the orange armor on the barrels is generally excellent. The focuser is very smooth and positive, but not as smooth as my 8x25 which has one of the nicest focusers I have ever had on a binocular. The double hinges are stiffer than on the 8x25 which is good as it stops any accidental changes to the ipd. Eye cups and work as expected as does the dioptre adjustment.

Moving on to the most important are - the view. This is very, very good - and it's almost unbelievable how good it actually is. CA is virtually non-existent, the view is sharp and bright, and colors are very accurate and pleasing. Glare control seems very good and I have not been able to induce any glare in situations where I know the 8x25 would show some. What initially impressed me, and still does, is how easy it is to use. Eye placement is very forgiving, it has a lovely wide view, and is for me (without glasses) totally without blackouts. Generally it feels like you are using a full size binocular rather than a compact!!

It comes with a case, neck strap, lanyard for the case, rain guard and cleaning cloth. I'm not sure what the designers at Swarvorski were smoking when they came up with the rain guard as it is the most bizarre example I have ever seen. It only fits when the barrels are folded together, and it seems to me you only fold the barrels together when you are storing the binoculars in a case or pocket, at which point the rain guard is redundant! Very strange!

In conclusion this is perhaps the best compact I have used to date. It’s not miles ahead of the CL 8x25, but the wide, bright and easy view, definitely gives it the edge.

I have now had a chance to try out the Curio properly, and to compare it to the CL 8x25.

In terms of construction, the Curio is very, very good. I chose the burnt orange/silver version and the fit on the orange armor on the barrels is generally excellent. The focuser is very smooth and positive, but not as smooth as my 8x25 which has one of the nicest focusers I have ever had on a binocular. The double hinges are stiffer than on the 8x25 which is good as it stops any accidental changes to the ipd. Eye cups and work as expected as does the dioptre adjustment.

Moving on to the most important are - the view. This is very, very good - and it's almost unbelievable how good it actually is. CA is virtually non-existent, the view is sharp and bright, and colors are very accurate and pleasing. Glare control seems very good and I have not been able to induce any glare in situations where I know the 8x25 would show some. What initially impressed me, and still does, is how easy it is to use. Eye placement is very forgiving, it has a lovely wide view, and is for me (without glasses) totally without blackouts. Generally it feels like you are using a full size binocular rather than a compact!!

It comes with a case, neck strap, lanyard for the case, rain guard and cleaning cloth. I'm not sure what the designers at Swarvorski were smoking when they came up with the rain guard as it is the most bizarre example I have ever seen. It only fits when the barrels are folded together, and it seems to me you only fold the barrels together when you are storing the binoculars in a case or pocket, at which point the rain guard is redundant! Very strange!

In conclusion this is perhaps the best compact I have used to date. It’s not miles ahead of the CL 8x25, but the wide, bright and easy view, definitely gives it the edge.
OK - you've twisted my arm enough. I'm buyin' one......

I really like my Swarovski 8x25. I’ve had smaller bins but have never been overly impressed. I might have to try the Curio. Are there any good deals on these in the USA? Thanks

I really like my Swarovski 8x25. I’ve had smaller bins but have never been overly impressed. I might have to try the Curio. Are there any good deals on these in the USA? Thanks

Super Dave,

Based on a quick internet search this morning, no open box, demo, used, nor discounts currently available on the Curio. Based on my experience with them and the plethora of very positive reviews, my guess is any used Curios would probably be available from a buyer who immediately didn't get along with them and so not likely to be significantly discounted based on the resulting "like new" condition.

On a related note, I recently collaborated with a fellow member in searching for used/deals on UV 8x20 and we found none. Expanding the search to include 10x25 UV, I found one open box at a little less than 10% discount and pulled the trigger. It seems reading here that there has been a surge of interest in pockets lately and this may be keeping prices relatively high on quality used models.

IIRC you are a pocket aficionado. If that's the case, not to spend your money but based on my experience you will really enjoy the Curio even at MSRP. If I had to pick one or the other, it would be the Curio over the (also excellent) SW CL 8x25 in two shakes of a lamb's tail. Just my 2 cents.

Mike

...based on my experience you will really enjoy the Curio even at MSRP.
I've always been one to shop for bargains, and still am, but there comes a point when lost time comes into the equation and I will buy at list price rather than to continue not having something that I feel I need, or at least strongly want at the time.

I'm still hoping for the numbers of used Curios to increase to the point that I will get a set, but if that doesn't happen then I very well may eventually end up with a brand new one. That said, I'm still also hoping that they may do a lightly armored one in the not-too-distant future.

Last edited:

If by chance you are prior military/first responder, you can get a very good discount at Eurooptic.com. They are good people to deal with.

If you do not qualify for the above, then you should still call them anyway. Good chance that they will beat the other competitors. Michael is the person I dealt with, and he was both friendly and efficient. They don't have any Curios in stock (I snagged the last one they had), but you can back-order. Give 'em a call and see what they can do for you!

Hey, thanks guys. I don't have a need for the Curio...just really curious to check it out. I think I'll wait until a deal pops up or I lose patience.

Have a great weekend.
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back