• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Curious falcon (1 Viewer)

Michał Jaro

What do you think about this falcon? strongly barred breast, dark underwing coverts, strongly, black striped flight feathers form a net, striped tail, dark wing tips. Eleonora's falcon came to mind, but this species is almost impossible in southern Poland. The falcon was small, at first I didn't think about it as a peregrine - but maybe... ?? What else could it be? (date - today).

Attachments

• _MG_2104.JPG
    _MG_2104.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 136
  • _MG_2102.JPG
    _MG_2102.JPG
    866.3 KB · Views: 134
  • _MG_2099.JPG
    _MG_2099.JPG
    744.2 KB · Views: 134
Thanks for your tips and explanations!
But I can't really agree. The head - especially the back - is simply dark, it's not a matter of photo quality. Many photos show the same thing - I am also sending a sitting bird. Additionally, the mustache doesn't suit red footed in my opinion

Attachments

• _MG_2086.JPG
    _MG_2086.JPG
    620.9 KB · Views: 84
Could you give the actual location + region? Thanks.
I can't really agree
I can't really understand. You mean you think (from your post #1) it's a peregrine and you don't accept other views? If so, there's no reason to post it. The bird is too slim, the wing-base too narrow and the bill too small for peregrine.
The head - especially the back - is simply dark, it's not a matter of photo quality
The photos are all underexposed (no offence), so the bird is certainly not as dark as it appears.
mustache doesn't suit red footed in my opinion
I think it's fine.

Thanks Butty.
Place - Podhale, Orawsko-Nowotarska Valley.
Do you think there is something wrong with me disagreeing and presenting my arguments?
I have to agree with everyone who helps? I can't really understand too. Is there anything offensive about me disagreeing?
I wrote that I disagree about the color of the head. And I didn't insist it was a falcon. Regardless of the quality of the photo - the cheek in each of the hundred photos is white and the ear area is darker. Thats the fact . It doesn't look like a classic juv. Red-footed. But ok - I understand that this is within the range of species variability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back