• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Curious Red shouldered hawk (2 Viewers)

Ofthewoods

United States
I was scouting some water bodies for work and I almost didn't notice this RSH. It was initially sitting on a branch 5 ft off the ground maybe 6 ft from me. When I went for my glasses it flew up to a higher branch.

Picture is from my phone through my Leitz 7x42B trinovids

Attachments

• PXL_20231129_171745329.jpg
    PXL_20231129_171745329.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 26
Granted it was not that far away - but that's a really pretty decent image given that it was bino-phonescoped! Whenever I've tried it myself my results have been atrocious!

I only made my acquaintance with RSHs on a work visit to the U.S. Neat little critter - and not too skittish either so you can have a good look at them. The diversity of raptors you have in the States is really pretty cool.

Granted it was not that far away - but that's a really pretty decent image given that it was bino-phonescoped! Whenever I've tried it myself my results have been atrocious!

I only made my acquaintance with RSHs on a work visit to the U.S. Neat little critter - and not too skittish either so you can have a good look at them. The diversity of raptors you have in the States is really pretty cool.
Yeah in this photo it was about 15-20 ft (5-7 m) away.
And the raptors are pretty wild. I went canoeing and saw quite a few barred owls which was amazing. I only noticed them because they moved.
I see osprey almost every week and bald eagles almost every month without looking for them.

Where do yo live? I used to live in Westchester County, NY and loved getting to see so many red-tailed and Coopers hawks, ospreys and bald eagles. I just moved to northern Virginia, and now I see red-shouldered hawks everywhere. I still see bald eagles here, but I haven't yet spotted any ospreys, Coopers or red-tailed hawks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back