• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cyprus in early October (1 Viewer)

LP birder

Hi,

I am visiting Cyprus for the first time in autumn (heading out for a week from the 4th – 11th October) and, although not a birding holiday (I’m going with a friend and his wife who are not birders!), I will definitely still be taking my optics, so will no doubt try and fit some in! We’ll be staying in (or at least close to) Larnaca, so if anyone is able to share a little info about sites and birds local to this area I would be very grateful. Also, if anyone has been birding in Cyprus at a similar time of year, what sort of things could I expect? Are there still plenty of things moving at this time?

Thanks in advance
Jamie.

LP birder,
There are indeed plenty of birding locations in the Larnaca area. Because you'll be here prior to the "rainy" winter season, the wetlands may be fairly bare though. Here are my suggestions:

Oroklini marsh - I forget how dry it gets, but a subsection of the marsh should retain a little bit of water.

The Main Salt Lake - Probably dry though. Same for the Meneou salt lake area and Spyros pool (also in Meneou).

Larnaca sewage works - behind the Larnaca airport in Meneou.

Kiti lighthouse - you might be able to watch for pelagic birds in migration.

Petounta point (Mazotos) and Kivisili fields - Near Mazotos, about 10km west of Kiti. The fields and farmlands are frequently great (esp. in migration) for raptors and grassland species. You should see European Roller here too.

Stavrovouni - I think that you might see Bonelli's Eagle and Black-headed Bunting here, or at least it's possible that you might.

Those are just some thoughts as to possibilities though.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back