• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

D500 view finder (1 Viewer)

shrek48

I cannot get the view finder to focus for me, I do wear glasses for reading etc but not required for driving etc, is there a way to alter the focus range of the viewfinder ? I have rotated the little button all the way but not quite in focus! Deos this mean i need to start usung my glasses ? or can I change the focus range?
TIA

You can get diopter lenses (Nikon Type DK17C) that screw into the viewfinder and shift and extend the diopter adjustment range in the required direction.
I wear my prescription glasses when using my camera, and never had to adjust the setting from the center. Our brain can do a lot of compensation so not requiring glasses doesn't mean not needing a pair, something your optometrist can check.
The "normal" viewfinder diopter range is -2 - +1 (so say the specs).
Here are the ones Nikon offers from -3 - +2. Which one to add depends on how far you are off and in what direction.

You can get diopter lenses (Nikon Type DK17C) that screw into the viewfinder and shift and extend the diopter adjustment range in the required direction.
I wear my prescription glasses when using my camera, and never had to adjust the setting from the center. Our brain can do a lot of compensation so not requiring glasses doesn't mean not needing a pair, something your optometrist can check.
The "normal" viewfinder diopter range is -2 - +1 (so say the specs).
Here are the ones Nikon offers from -3 - +2. Which one to add depends on how far you are off and in what direction.
Thanks I will look at that DK17C , i have turned it all the way to the right and still not quite in focus, I find if difficult wearing my glasses to view the birds ! maybe I will just have to get used to it.
So looking at it I am all the way to the + side so the 17c u sggested would give me +1 more which should be enough ;-)
Great info thanks.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back