• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dartford Warbler in New Forest UK (1 Viewer)

level seven

I'm spending a week with my wife near the New Forest from Friday and would love to see a Dartford Warbler in this country. They're thin on the ground up here in Newcastle ;)

I've looked on Opus for the New Forest and there's some useful information. Trouble is, my wife isn't really interested in birds and my time for looking will be quite limited.

If anyone could point me to a "hot spot" for Dartford Warblers where I've got the best chance of finding one quickly I'd be most grateful. I appreciate no bird can be "laid on a plate" for you, but if my odds could be improved, that would be great.

Thanks.

It would be handy to know where you are staying - also if you are going to visit anywhere in the Forest with your wife - as there are quite a few good spots and if time is short, the closest one would be best for you, I'm sure!

Hi Graham,

Good luck with the Dartfords - I'm sure one of the locals will be along at some stage to give you some good gen....

I do recall hearing of Dartfords nr Beulieu Rd Station, but have to say that I've not actually seen them there myself. One place that is pretty much a cert though (albeit not strictly in the New Forest) is Hengistbury Head nr Christchurch. One advantage of this place is that it's a nice walk around (check out the price of those beach huts!!!!) so your birding ambitions can be sneakily disguised!....... Mind you, most of the New Forest is a nice walk around!!

Good luck.... Ruby

I can also vouch for Hengistbury (somewhat biased!) but may not be much use if you're staying on the Southampton side of the forest.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I should have said, we're staying near Lymington.

Hengistbury Head looks a good bet as it's just the sort of place my wife would enjoy anyway. She loves headlands and coastal scenery, as I do too.

I could try there first and then have a second bite of the cherry in the New Forest itself. I used to go on holiday around here as a child with my parents (I was born in Buckinghamshire) but haven't been back since, nearly 50 years. It's in my blood though and I'm looking forward to it very much.

In the unlikely event that you don't have any luck with Dartfords at the places already described.....

Continue on the minor rd northwestwards of Debs' marked spot, and go under the A31. Once you pass Sloughter's enclosure on your right, and come out into a large open area, you're in Dartford country. If you continue to the junction with a road heading right, there is a track to your left that terminates in a car park on the edge of a conifer plantation. You can't miss 'em on the open heath with very sparse Gorse at the edge of the car park (honest !)

In the unlikely event that you don't have any luck with Dartfords at the places already described.....

Continue on the minor rd northwestwards of Debs' marked spot, and go under the A31. Once you pass Sloughter's enclosure on your right, and come out into a large open area, you're in Dartford country. If you continue to the junction with a road heading right, there is a track to your left that terminates in a car park on the edge of a conifer plantation. You can't miss 'em on the open heath with very sparse Gorse at the edge of the car park (honest !)
Thanks Larry, that's very helpful. If it ever stops raining I should have a good chance from the sound of it.

Well, we just arrived back in Newcastle an hour ago after a wet week down in Hampshire. But, I did see Dartford Warblers, in exactly the place Larry suggested!. Thanks again Larry, and all the other people who replied. I heard them calling within a couple of hundred yards of the car-park and we were soon watching an active pair within about 30 yards of us. Later in the afternoon I saw my first UK Hobby, so a very successful day.

We did go to Hengistbury Head, which was well worth a visit and we enjoyed the walk and views, but no Dartford Warblers there that I could see or hear. Plenty of Skylarks though.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back