• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (1 Viewer)

Terns were still present this afternoon until 17:20hrs when 27 flew off to the east, a quick count of the remaining birds revealed 19 so the days total was 46.
Summer plumaged Barwit still on Millfields island at dusk.

He counts everything given half the chance. We went down today with the Guinea Fowl in mind. Saw 5 dark morphs and 2 White morphs. Made Chris's day ;)

A trip to Harboro rocks today with Chris proved worthless as the clay pigeon shooters were at it, but Chris was delighted to see 6 Guinea Fowl on fields near Hopton Hall. He also had a few dark morph sheep near to Sheepwash. ;) Oh and Dan he was very interested in your Banties and was asking if access could be arranged.:-O

There is a collection box in place......
A list below of Arctic Terns just in West Midlands today courtesy of Adam Archer. Good day for the species inland. Some of these could have provided the Carsi and Wyver birds.
Blithfield Reservoir, Staffordshire - 48 birds
Uttoxeter Quarry, Staffordshire - 38 birds
Shustoke Reservoir, Warwickshire - 26 birds
Upper Bittell Reservoir, Worcestershire - 18 birds
Draycote Water, Warwickshire - 17 birds
Himley Great Pool, Staffordshire - 15 birds
Belvide Reservoir, Staffordshire - 10 birds
Edgbaston Reservoir, West Midlands - 10 birds
Alvecote Pools, Warwickshire - 3 birds
Branston Pits, Staffordshire - 3 birds
Ripple Pits, Worcestershire - 3 birds
Chasewater, Staffordshire - 2 birds
Upton Warren, Worcestershire - 2 birds
Gailey Reservoir, Staffordshire - 1 bird
Westport Lake, Staffordshire - 1 bird

13 arctic terns over Wyver just

Just to add a little more, the weather was ok early on but started to rain hard at 9ish. I retired to watching from the car and started counting duck - 9 Gadwall, 12 Teal, drake Shoveler, drake Mandarin. At about 9.30 I looked up and saw the Arctics circling quite high over the pool and eventually drifting off NE. Everyone I tried was either on hols or offline! There had been 13 at Shustoke early on but it soon became clear there was a big movement going on in the midlands.

I had heard the Wood Warbler that was first heard two days ago singing from up near the farm, along with Redstart. Other warblers included Sedge, Blackcap, Willow, Chiffs. Loads of Swallows and Martins all morning grounded by the weather. Oycs were present with 2 Lapwings.
Bramblings x4 flew over as did a pair of Jay and 1 Greater Pecker.
Buzzard, Kestrel and the male Peregrine twice were over the reserve.

Another good morning at WGP. The Garganey is still showing well from P1. There was an adult Little Gull from P4 (still there when I left) . A flock of 10 Blackwits in full summer plumage flew low over at 11.00, but unfortunately did not land. A Whimbrel landed on dead goose island and stayed for around 15 mins before flying off north. In addition there were 6 Common Terns, 2 LRP, 2 Dunlin, 1 Green Sandpiper, 1 male Wheatear, and the first Cuckoo of the year.

Arctic Tern passage continues at Carsington with 20 through between 06:20 and 08:30 also 2 1st summer Little Gulls through.

Arctic Tern passage continues at Carsington with 20 through between 06:20 and 08:30 also 2 1st summer Little Gulls through.

45 through by 10:30, and while I was busy showing the half-term kids the nesting GCGs, at least another 10 Arctics went through during the day, probably more. One sat on a buoy right in front of us, so even the kids saw that one. And one Little Gull stayed all day.

The Blackwits left high to the north at lunchtime. In the afternoon we had 3 Dunlin, 4 Snipe, 4 Curlew, 6 Yellow and 1 White Wag. And there was a Wheatear on the dam near the sailing club, plus I had an entertaining spot of hide-and-seek with a Weasel on there too.

Guys, apologies in advance. I know I'm posting this in the wrong place but I needed to reach as many local birders as possible before the weekend. I've just provisionally accepted a trade-in offer on my immaculate Zeiss Victory 8x42 T*FL bins but if anyone is prepared to offer me £750 they're yours. They are virtually unused and complete with box, carrying case, reg doc and Focalpoint receipt.

If interested drop me an email at [email protected]. I'm in Macclesfield by the way.

Thanks, and apologies again.

Guys, apologies in advance. I know I'm posting this in the wrong place but I needed to reach as many local birders as possible before the weekend. I've just provisionally accepted a trade-in offer on my immaculate Zeiss Victory 8x42 T*FL bins but if anyone is prepared to offer me £750 they're yours. They are virtually unused and complete with box, carrying case, reg doc and Focalpoint receipt.

If interested drop me an email at [email protected]. I'm in Macclesfield by the way.

Thanks, and apologies again.

Bloody good bins and a nice price for anyone interested. I believe new are £1200 +

Bloody good bins and a nice price for anyone interested. I believe new are £1200 +

Yes, i would be very tempted if I had the cash to spare.
Carsington today 13:30 to 18:00, a total of 45 Arctic Terns (with 18 still on site at 18:00hr) 2 Shelduck, drake Goosander,Mandarin, the GND having a good fly round, 6 LRP and 2 Dunlin. Also 4 Barwits reported earlier in the day.

Little Tern through Carsington this morning. Also 10+ Arctic Terns, a Tree Pipit through, the adult Great Northern Diver, a Wheatear, a Swift, and interestingly 9 Barnacle Geese through high. Per (SJR, RC, MAP, JB).

A few hours at Wyver produced first Whitethroat (2), Lesser Whitethroat and Garden Warbler this morning. Several Buzzards up, lots of Swallows, Sand and House Martins through. Redstart still singing but no sign of Wood Warbler. Male Peregrine knocking about and duck numbers keep reducing.

Adult Great Northern Diver still at Carsington today. Also 3 Bar-tailed Godwits at the Wildlife Centre. And an adult Little Gull and 44 Arctic Terns.

They sold very quickly. I was obviously impressed enough to buy them in the first place but after prolonged use I found they really didn't suit my eyesight. They seem to rely on a sweet spot at the centre but sharpness tails off dramatically from there. An expensive mistake on my part. I'm back to Leica again now :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back