• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (2 Viewers)

The pit is covered by some local birders, but many avoid it because of the disturbance from kids and dog-walkers. It's good cycling country so I'm there fairly often. On and off it was good for Yellow Wagtail last year, Barn and Little Owl are associated with the place, and last year I had my first local Ruff there. You can't miss the Green Woodpecker.
Haven't seen any Kingfisher yet though, despite the recent addition of sticks over the water whuch I assume have been placed there with them in mind.

Its not to bad through the week and in the morning its coverd with skylarks which are a delight to hear. The barn owl has not been seen for some time,one was found dead last year. The kingfisher has been seen occasionally but i suspected it a bit too high for them?? 4 Whimbrel were seen last week. It's a pitty its not coverd more.

cheers

Geordie:t:

Pleasley Pit again this morning. Beautifull clear blue sky!

There were, goldfinch, chaffinch, yellowhammer, greenfinch, reed bunting,sky larks, meadow pipits, 1 L.R.P, 1 grey heron, 4 little grebe, 2 great crested grebe, mallards,coots, moorhens, blue tits, great tits, robin, dunnock, 2 grey partridge, at least 3 singing chiffchaffs, 1 green woodpwecker, 1 mistle thrush and 1 kestrel.

A very enjoyable morning

Cheers

Last edited:
Pleasley Pit again this morning. Beautifull clear blue sky!

There were, goldfinch, chaffinch, yellowhammer, greenfinch, reed bunting,sky larks, meadow pipits, 1 L.R.P, 1 grey heron, 4 little grebe, 2 great crested grebe, mallards,coots, moorhens, blue tits, great tits, robin, dunnock, 2 grey partridge, at least 3 singing chiffchaffs, 1 green woodpwecker, 1 mistle thrush and 1 kestrel.

A very enjoyable morning

Cheers

Hiya,

Only been to Peasley PT twice...once for a Shorelark and once for Dragonflies, enjoyed both visits and think it has great potential...bit far for a quick visit for me though thats why I don't go more often!

Cheers

Me too, Anna! You've had a previous letter published as well, haven't you? About the walk round Osmaston? Well done! :t:

Don't worry, none of us on here think you in the least strange, just very keen and enthusiastic. A breath of fresh air!

Keep on enjoying your bird watching and don't worry about what those people say. Hope you find a job where you can put your obvious love of nature to good use!

Regards

Mike

Thankyou Mike. I hope to take up a career when finished at 6th from in something wildlife related, but I am really not sure what yet, i'm thinking maybe Countryside Management, or Animal Conservation.
I'll soon also be volunteering at my local Wildlife Trust which will be very useful, and i'll learn a lot hopefully. I'll get to meet a lot of nice people.

Yes, I have also had a letter published in the BW magazine about Osmaston, it was a short letter, compared to the one I've recently written. They took off the final sentence of the letter though so it doesn't make a great deal of sense at the end.

Hiya,

Only been to Peasley PT twice...once for a Shorelark and once for Dragonflies, enjoyed both visits and think it has great potential...bit far for a quick visit for me though thats why I don't go more often!

Cheers

I've been told about the shore lark,i wasn't around then,wish i was! I think it has real potential to. It's a young site but is already coming on a lot. I'm trying to sell it a bit more to birders i meet out and about the area to pay a visit!

Cheers

Hi all,

Just to let people know, there is now a forum for Carsington Birds/mamals etc on the CBC website. Look under Forum unsurprizingly!

http://www.carsingtonbirdclub.co.uk/cbc/index.asp

You could post other sightings too if you think the members would be interested.

Also can I request if you visit the site can you add your sightings onto the sighting page or let the recorder know.

Cheers

Had a run up to Howden Reservoir today, there were impressive numbers of Bramblings in the trees at the top-end of the reservoir, easily 300 and probably quite a few more. Flushed a Woodcock whilst trying to photograph the Bramblings also and whilst I didn't see them myself spoke to others that had seen Ring Ouzel and Osprey there today.

House Martin at Alvaston Park (Derby) today along with 30-40 Sand Martins and a couple of Swallows

Cheers
Nick

Attachments

• HouseMartin.JPG
    HouseMartin.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 64
Good day had at Carsington, highlight was a Greenshank last seen on Horseshoe Island, also Common Sandpiper, 2 Common Scoter still, of course the GND which is now beginning to show summer plumage on the back, 3 Wheatear on the dam, and a White Wagtail on Stones Island, among the regular crew.

Beautiful weather too, as if it wasn't time!

For what it's worth, I had a brief scout at Carsington for the LEO on the way home from the Derby Dales today, and nada. Guess it had hardly chosen the best location.

The pit is covered by some local birders, but many avoid it because of the disturbance from kids and dog-walkers. It's good cycling country so I'm there fairly often. On and off it was good for Yellow Wagtail last year, Barn and Little Owl are associated with the place, and last year I had my first local Ruff there. You can't miss the Green Woodpecker.
Haven't seen any Kingfisher yet though, despite the recent addition of sticks over the water whuch I assume have been placed there with them in mind.

5 Ruff at Carvale NR last year

Hiya,

Cheers

I live local and visit Pleasley often used to work down the pit, but even when it's warm everywhere it is cold up there, must be one of the coldest sites going, expecting to see a penguin before too long

Hiya all,

Had a brief trip to Carsington last night, managed to doge the hail showers and pick up the GNDiver, loads of hirundines, White Wag and a couple of cracking Yellows, but sadly the female Scaup didn't play ball, but was probably still somewhere on the reservoir! Good numbers of Curlew came into roost on Horseshoe island but no Whimbrel yet!

Oh and I still have 3+ Brambling in the Garden, they are now getting very smart as the grey tips abrade away from the black heads!

Cheers

There are 2 Redshank currently at Ogston Reservoir, as well as a female Wheatear. The Water Rail is still resident, and is getting quite close to the hides.

Nice little mixture at Pleasley this afternoon; 2 Yellow Wagtail, 1 Oystercatcher, 1 Dunlin, 2 Gadwall, and a Sparrowhawk, among the regulars. Nearly ran over a Skylark on my bike too.

3 Little Gulls at Carsington today, also present Female Scaup,2 Dunlin,Lesser Whitethroat,Curlew,GN Diver and Raven, but no sign of any terns.Seems to have been quite a movement of Little Gulls through the Midlands today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back