• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (8 Viewers)

Hi Tim
No probs; re the bird; of course there could be many reasons for its demise; and knowing something of the local politics it might still be alive!!!!
Just worrying that shots were heard and then news of the birds death is circulated.
Does anyone know who found the body? my bet would be a local angler!(sorry for being so cynical; its my age!)

ATB

Martin

If we can't even confirm who put up a wooden cut out of an Osprey on the post a few weeks ago I give us almost zero chance of ever finding (out about) the RFF.
That's a minimum of 2 cynics at WGP then.

If we can't even confirm who put up a wooden cut out of an Osprey on the post a few weeks ago I give us almost zero chance of ever finding (out about) the RFF.
That's a minimum of 2 cynics at WGP then.

Count me in for three!

Anyone looking for Cuckoo may be interested to know one of the BTO rung birds has already set off back - spent 42 days in our God forsaken Summer! He's in Belgium now.

http://www.wildlifeextra.com/go/news/bto-cuckoo-migration.html

Red Kite over the house again Saturday evening, performing the same routine as always it seems.

New Little Owl and Woodcock territories also mapped out very locally.

Another good breeding record down Wyver today. With Oystercatchers and Gadwall already being firsts for the site, today there was a female Tufted Duck with 5 very small young. Although Tufteds have bred down Wyver before the last breeding record I can find is back in July 1998. The Oycs and Gadwall were half expected but the Tuftie young was a surprise as we had no idea there was a female sitting.

The female Gadwall now has 6 young. There were 2 Little Grebe on the main pool, together with a drake Teal, 2 Mute Swans and a few more Tufties.

The BH Gulls are still sitting tight on the raft. If they do produce young that will be another new breeding record. A pair of Common Terns made a brief appearance before lunch. At least 1 Reed Warbler still singing. 4 Oystercatchers and a male Redstart were the other things of note.

Keep checking those local Starling flocks!

We are in the midst of a reasonable mini invasion with birds spread far and wide, culminating in 3 adults together in Norfolk today. They may well continue to arrive and move inland.

Seems ages since the last gaudy pink one in Sinfin. Still a reasonable hole on many Derbyshire lists.

Hi all,

You know you reach that stage where you wonder if your local patch (Moorway Lane Pond) will ever throw up another patch tick...and then a RED KITE flies over as happened to me this morning! Strangely enough was seen off by, of all things, House Martins.

I did a rough calculation walking home and worked out that if I keep adding patch ticks here at the generously spaced apart rate I am (due to a combination of me being out of the county for most of the year and this site having reached a natural plateau), I should break the 100 species landmark some time around 2031 (that's the year not the time by the way!)

Another good duck breeding record to follow Dave's recent posts - Tufted Ducks have bred at the tiny pond at John Port School in Etwall with 1 chick today. Considering only 20-30 sites across the county have this species breeding in a typical year this is a fascinating record at a body of water that is usually firmly in the 'Moorhens & Manky Mallards only' camp.

Best Wishes,

Matt

Had good prolonged views of two Peregrines over the house for a couple of hours this morning. Stood chatting on the drive and they sailed past the end of the woods and then hit the up draught and started thermalling. They spent ages just circling and every time I looked out they were still knocking about.

Eventually a female re appeared with a Magpie dangling from its talons, being chased by another. Great result all round!

Its possible the local Female has been working hard attracting another mate which may bode well for next seasons breeding attempt.

Keep checking those local Starling flocks!

We are in the midst of a reasonable mini invasion with birds spread far and wide, culminating in 3 adults together in Norfolk today. They may well continue to arrive and move inland.

Seems ages since the last gaudy pink one in Sinfin. Still a reasonable hole on many Derbyshire lists.

is it me or am i the only one who hasnt a clue what your refering to????invasion of what?? 3 adult s? pink one??

Hi Arnie,

Rose Coloured Starling. As Dan said Derbyshire has had past records at Sinfin and on one of the housing estates in Hilton (I think), so they are a rarity that you can find almost by accident and in unlikely places (not unlike Wryneck in that respect, which Sinfin also had a couple of years ago). Many of the RCS we get in Britain are juveniles, interesting birds but not the most eye catching, so the prospect of a mini-invasion of adults especially is an exciting one!

Best Wishes,

Matt

Hi Arnie,

Rose Coloured Starling. As Dan said Derbyshire has had past records at Sinfin and on one of the housing estates in Hilton (I think), so they are a rarity that you can find almost by accident and in unlikely places (not unlike Wryneck in that respect, which Sinfin also had a couple of years ago). Many of the RCS we get in Britain are juveniles, interesting birds but not the most eye catching, so the prospect of a mini-invasion of adults especially is an exciting one!

Best Wishes,

Matt

Thanks Matt, I thought I had put the name in the title box but obviously not.
Mind you, thought there may be enough clues........Starling, Pink..... ;) etc etc!

As expected the good breeding year has continued down Wyver with the emergence of a single Black-headed Gull chick on the Tern raft. This is the first breeding record for Wyver and joins Gadwall and Oystercatchers in also being firsts. I was beginning to think that they had failed. The only problem I can envisage is how it will get off the raft. There doesn't seem to be any holes for the young to go through and the sides are fairly high. They can't fly until just over a month old so It could be a long month stuck on there.

Other birds of note was 6 Oystercatchers which flew noisily over the main pool and a female Peregrine over the woods. The female Gadwall still has 5 young and the female Tufties still has 3 young.

A shot of the young BH Gull and the female Gadwall with one of its young.

Attachments

• SNV39085.jpg
    SNV39085.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 71
  • SNV39094.jpg
    SNV39094.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 78
Intriguing report of 4 White Storks together at Bamford yesterday. I understand they were flyovers so hard to establish if legit I suppose.

Also a poss Lesser Scaup at Long Eaton today.......hybrid hasn't been ruled out yet though. Birders on site now trying to sort it out.

There was a report of a possible Lesser Scaup there the other day. The same day that there was 2 Greater Scaup. A few of the regulars were there that day and only saw the 2 Greater Scaup.

I was sitting in the hide at Wyver when we had that storm the other day. Not seen anything like that for some time. Within no time the lane itself had become a small river. I've only ever seen that once before back in August 2007.

Attachments

• SNV39126.jpg
    SNV39126.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 66
  • SNV39131.jpg
    SNV39131.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 79
  • SNV39137.jpg
    SNV39137.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 67

Users who are viewing this thread

Back