• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (3 Viewers)

I hear the bittern showed early doors down Wyver.... Christmas shopping now in the way for me...... it needs to stay longer, get it tied down Dave:-O:-O:-O:-O

ATB

Steph'

I saw it around 8.10 this morning Steph and later on around 12.25, flying briefly across the reedbed from the left of the island. Dave just missed out by a minute but he was still down there when i left mid afternoon so i hope it showed for him.

Unfortunately it never showed. I stuck it out until dusk but saw nothing. 16 Mandarin over and 10 Goosanders in the roost..

There's only been 2 previous records of Bittern down Wyver. 1 on 16/12/1979 and the last one was on 30/11/1985. So 27 years inbetween the last one and the current one.

That's a shame mate. I might be able to get down on Sunday for a bit to see if it is still about and i'll text you if i see anything, or can you get down yourself as well on Sunday?

Just spent 2 misty hours down Wyver lane, sadly no sign of the Bittern. Very soggy down there! Highlights were 10 Goosander (3male), 2 Pochard, a single drake Shoveler and Tufted Ducks plus at least 2 calling Water Rail. 40 odd Redwings flew south but don't think I stayed late enough for the Mandarins tho....

Steph'

Just got back from a weekend at rutland water ,on the way back we saw a barn owl beside the 515 ashboure to buxton road between the turn for parsley hey and the turn for monyash ,at about 10 to 5 Having never seen a barnowl before on this road i though it was worth a metion as we travel this road a lot ,great to see like a white ghost hunting the verge

Waxwing numbers at Foss Road/The Mease roundabout in Hilton have increased to 51. They could be there a while as there is plenty of food there. Highlights at Wyver was 18 Goosander in the roost and 12 Mandarin. Also 51 Mallards, 3 Shoveler, 4 Tufties, 2 Pochard, 5 Cormorants and 2 Little Owls. The water is very high down there and could possibly have displaced the Bittern. Can't 100% rule it out still not being there though.

Hi all,

Decent count of 8 Goldeneye on flood water around Barrow-on-Trent today (strange to think they're effectively diving in a farmer's field), 1 Goosander at Melbourne Pool, 41 Common Gull in one flooded field in Ticknall and c600 BH Gull at Etwall SF - again on floodwater.

Trent Valley looking like the Danube Delta in places....(albeit with marginally fewer Pelicans)

Matt

Hi all,

17 Goldeneye on Church Wilne Ski Pit today, 5 Goosander at St Chad's Water and at least 1 Brambling in the mixed finch flock in the fields & hedgerows near the v shaped bend on Wilne Lane/Road.

Best,

Matt

The Bittern is still down Wyver for its 12th day. It was also reported yesterday in front of the hide and then in flight at the back of the island. Tonight I had it in flight at the back of the island before dropping into the reeds to the right of the island 16.27hrs. It's clearly the longest staying Bittern at Wyver as the previous two records were only one dayers. I thought the high water might have pushed it out but luckily not. It's very elusive as there was somebody on site all day yet only seen this evening for a few seconds. Also today was 4 Cormorants, 42 Canada Geese, 19 Wigeon, 7 Gadwall, 2 Shoveler, 19 Mandarin, 16 Goosander, 11 Tufted Ducks, 2 Pochard, 5 Snipe, 181 BH Gulls, Grey Wagtail, Chiff Chaff, 8 Siskin, 9 Goldfinch, 16Redwingand a Bullfinch.

Got the Bittern down Wyver Lane tonight, flew across the water at 16.15pm and dropped in the reeds on the far side of the pool, I wonder if it was in the reeds in front of the hide but as I only got on it as it reached the other side and turned to drop in I'm not sure. Dan was standing next to me and unfortunately he didn't see it at that point, I felt awful! I wonder if 16.00 to 16.30hrs is a good time to look? Got a text to say he saw a silhouette after dusk just as I left though and that it had moved (how we missed it do that I'm not sure!).

Chiffchaff calling very consistently on the riverbank before moving off towards the railway bridge mid pm, 7 Goosander roosting, only 2 definite Mandarins (quite early on), sounded like good numbers of Snipe calling at dusk (we saw 2 flying out), Water Rail calling. Ducks were thin on the ground with only 5 Tufteds, 2 Shoveler and 14 Mallard on the pool (more stuff came in after dark!) 4 Teal, 4 Cormorant, and the usual Greylag things. 4 Herring Gulls (1 ad 3 imms) flew over late pm.

ATB

Steph'

Spent a few hours at Carsington this morning and there was plenty of wildfowl about with hundreds of Coots and far too numerous to count, Wigeon,Teal,Pochard, Mallard and Tufted Duck all in good numbers.

A single Pink-footed Goose was just visible from the Wildlife Centre along with 32 Barnacle Geese in amongst the Canada's.

A least a dozen Great Crested Grebe were in various parts of the reservoir.

One Great Northern Diver was visible, albeit distant from the Millfield car park.

Two Marsh tit and up to twenty Tree Sparrows were on and around the bird tables at the Wildlife Centre.

A single female Bullfinch was in the Silver Birch in the main car park.

Three Siskin and three Redwing seen from the Millfield car park.

A male Sparrowhawk was flying down the hedgerow on Dog Lane as we came in.

Got the Bittern down Wyver Lane tonight, flew across the water at 16.15pm and dropped in the reeds on the far side of the pool, I wonder if it was in the reeds in front of the hide but as I only got on it as it reached the other side and turned to drop in I'm not sure. Dan was standing next to me and unfortunately he didn't see it at that point, I felt awful! I wonder if 16.00 to 16.30hrs is a good time to look? Got a text to say he saw a silhouette after dusk just as I left though and that it had moved (how we missed it do that I'm not sure!).

Chiffchaff calling very consistently on the riverbank before moving off towards the railway bridge mid pm, 7 Goosander roosting, only 2 definite Mandarins (quite early on), sounded like good numbers of Snipe calling at dusk (we saw 2 flying out), Water Rail calling. Ducks were thin on the ground with only 5 Tufteds, 2 Shoveler and 14 Mallard on the pool (more stuff came in after dark!) 4 Teal, 4 Cormorant, and the usual Greylag things. 4 Herring Gulls (1 ad 3 imms) flew over late pm.

ATB

Steph'

That will teach me to stand chatting and concentrate! Anyway, it hadn't moved far but was little more than a silhouette unfortunately. I had to wait for a few cars that were on the lane and then took a call which delayed me long enough to see it. The temp was a balmy ten degrees at this stage which encouraged two Pipistrelle out to feed.

I called at dusk tonight but no joy- ten Goosander in, twelve Mandarin over, Chiffchaff and two Pochard highlights. Little Owl heard, two Snipe flying about and a Water Rail heard. Lots of geese were still arriving in he dark as I left.

I hadn't posted the other recent visit which was Boxing Day. The gull count was impressive and I counted over 950 Black Heads twice with poss another 400 on the River Garden. Also 1 Herring bathing, 1 adult LBB and 2 Commons. The male Peregrine was unsettling them. Compare that tonight with 1 Black Headed gull at the roost!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back