• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (7 Viewers)

No Martin, as you stated that there are only three permit holders, but four people had seen the Pec by nightfall, then you must know who the fourth, non-permit holder(?) was, and who told this person the bird was there as I thought you decided to withhold this info as it's private land. Also, are you saying that dog walkers have open access but birders don't without a permit?

A brilliant find though, well done, Martin. I only wish other birders and myself could have seen it.

We do realise that you are top notch with sharing your other finds, thank you very much, but remember we all can't afford pagers as well, mate......

Steve

Hi Steve, I really dont want to get into an acrimonious debate over this topic but will answer as best as I can; Yes local dog-walkers use the site along with a chap and his Harris Hawk and a couple of groups who go after rabbits with ferrets and nets; whether they have permission to be there is none of my business, nor of concern,as they usually avoid the pools where the waders get. And of course birders can visit the site if they wish, I cant stop them but if they are found they will be asked to leave. Yes, I know the fourth person and I informed him , he is a birder who visits regularly and we often go around the site together and exchange info on what we have seen; he was with me the evening prior to the Pec being positively IDed, watching three waders disappearing into the distance, two were Snipe but we couldnt identify the third though I suspect it was the Pec, he doesnt have a permit nor is he in any Society, he does his own thing and if people wish to try and stop him then good luck to them!!.
As regards the video grab posted by Alan Shaw; this was taken the following day and he was happy not to put out site details with it.
Thanks for other comments, its much appreciated.
By the way....whats a pager?

ATB

Martin

I've just read possibly the most bizarre message on Bird Guides I've ever seen.
Probable Lanner Falcon harassing plastic Eagle Owl in North Wingfield viewed from A615 then flew east.

I've just read possibly the most bizarre message on Bird Guides I've ever seen.
Probable Lanner Falcon harassing plastic Eagle Owl in North Wingfield viewed from A615 then flew east.

It's on a pylon, been there years. Always covered in Starlings so next to useless!

It's on a pylon, been there years. Always covered in Starlings so next to useless!

The idea and implementation of these plastic Owls was by the (then) CEGB engineer Rod S (who used to live in Belper) to discourage the roosting of Starlings on pylons after complaints about the mess caused. If I remember correctly Rod brought the idea back from the USA as they were available there before the UK (He was a world birder as opposed to local but made some decent finds in the County). Knowing how persistant vulgaris are the idea was good in theory but didn't really work in practice
Following the erection on various 'problem' pylons the incident desk at work had a call from a lady living in the vicinity of one of these pylons who was concerned for the welfare of a large bird 'perching' on the pylon. I was the obvious choice to visit the site and on arrival looked through binoculars and told the lady it was an Eagle Owl which had probably escaped (at this time we were totally unaware of Rod's 'scheme') she then informed me 'that explains why it's missing at night but there in the morning'. As it was only three miles from home I went for my scope to try and determine the species.
On my return I set up the 'scope and zoomed in to think 'what the chuff' it's chuffing plastic. The lady had come back so I tactfully explained it was plastic but she couldn't be convinced. This is 100% factual, and yes I thought it was real through the bins (but there was no Specsavers then ;)

I have to admit that "Eagle Owl" once had me going, I remember hitting the brakes and the Mrs wondering what was going on.:-O

Apparent pb-Brent goose with some Canadas up at Carsington late yesterday, those Canada flocks seem to move around so worth keeping an eye out.

http://youtu.be/-0JqRHEzySo?list=UUMLRf2RwAO6N19DIFrm8oOg
Must have missed it while messing around with a new camera down at Paul Stanley, the super-zoom bridge cameras you can buy these days are a bit crazy.

BN Grebe was still at Millfields.

James, that's a great zoom and excellent clarity on your Kingfisher shot. Do you mind me asking what camera it is? I'm looking at the moment. Technology moves so fast and my Lumix doesn't cut the mustard anymore.

The idea and implementation of these plastic Owls was by the (then) CEGB engineer Rod S (who used to live in Belper) to discourage the roosting of Starlings on pylons after complaints about the mess caused. If I remember correctly Rod brought the idea back from the USA as they were available there before the UK (He was a world birder as opposed to local but made some decent finds in the County). Knowing how persistant vulgaris are the idea was good in theory but didn't really work in practice
Following the erection on various 'problem' pylons the incident desk at work had a call from a lady living in the vicinity of one of these pylons who was concerned for the welfare of a large bird 'perching' on the pylon. I was the obvious choice to visit the site and on arrival looked through binoculars and told the lady it was an Eagle Owl which had probably escaped (at this time we were totally unaware of Rod's 'scheme') she then informed me 'that explains why it's missing at night but there in the morning'. As it was only three miles from home I went for my scope to try and determine the species.
On my return I set up the 'scope and zoomed in to think 'what the chuff' it's chuffing plastic. The lady had come back so I tactfully explained it was plastic but she couldn't be convinced. This is 100% factual, and yes I thought it was real through the bins (but there was no Specsavers then ;)

Theres a plastic "Peregrine" thing on a pole near Pottery in Belper... at least there used to be... not looked recently! Starlings ignore the thing :-O:-O Got me going a few times... yes I have a goldfish memory!

Atb
Steph

James, that's a great zoom and excellent clarity on your Kingfisher shot. Do you mind me asking what camera it is? I'm looking at the moment. Technology moves so fast and my Lumix doesn't cut the mustard anymore.

Sony HX400v. Take a look among the camera threads here on Birdforum, they're pretty good for advice - http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=292166

Bearded Tit at Oggi today, anyone have it?

Apparently there were 12.

This from Ogston Website WOW!!!!!!!!

At least 12 Bearded Tits dropped into reeds by the hide at around 11:00 hrs but unfortunately they only stayed for a few minutes before heading off SW (the first record for Ogston and a record count for Derbyshire). Also 5 Wigeon, 2 Shovelers and the escaped Yellow-billed Teal still present on the reservoir. Migrants over Highoredish included 7625 Woodpigeons, 560 Starlings, c56 Pink-footed Geese flew SE at 09:30 hrs, a further 36 flew SE at 09:35 hrs and c40 flew NW at 13:15 hrs, a Merlin SW at 09:40. Also a juv male Goshawk seen on six separate occasions hunting Woodpigeons around Highoredish and a Fieldfare there.

No sign of the GND at Carsington today and I suspect as it's still a little early that it was just a bird passing through. The Black-necked Grebe was still at Millfields. 3 Whooper Swans late on at Sheepwash.

A bit of Pink feet movement throughout the day with 65 SE at 11.30hrs, 45 E at 11.39 and a further 9 N at 15.15hrs.

6 Snipe at Sheepwash, 16 Mipits on Stones, and a Kingfisher at a couple of locations. The Gull roost was huge tonight and possibly hit 20'000 birds by dusk. Obviously mainly BHG's and Lessers but good numbers of Common Gulls in. At least 3 Yellow-legged Gulls and a single GBB Gull.

....and South/West!! Hope some one is checking carsi tomorrow.:t:

When I saw that record of Beardies I was sitting in Sheepwash at around 14.00hrs. I hadn't intended on walking to Hopton end but did so just in case there were any in the reedbed.....and there wasn't :-C

No sign of the GND at Carsington today and I suspect as it's still a little early that it was just a bird passing through. The Black-necked Grebe was still at Millfields. 3 Whooper Swans late on at Sheepwash.

A bit of Pink feet movement throughout the day with 65 SE at 11.30hrs, 45 E at 11.39 and a further 9 N at 15.15hrs.

6 Snipe at Sheepwash, 16 Mipits on Stones, and a Kingfisher at a couple of locations. The Gull roost was huge tonight and possibly hit 20'000 birds by dusk. Obviously mainly BHG's and Lessers but good numbers of Common Gulls in. At least 3 Yellow-legged Gulls and a single GBB Gull.

20,000 :eek!: We were talking last night about efforts to get a reasonable figure, but it just seems impossible as they continue to pile in after the light has gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back