• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon Birding (12 Viewers)

Jammy thing! Dipped on the Falcated, and it was me who rang in the news that it had vanished. Well it had! 2 hours of scanning Wigeon and Teal along with about 10 others revealed revealed nothing but Wigeon and Teal.
5 hours in all spent out today (including journeys) to dip.

Hello RoyC fancy meeting you here!!
Did you get the Spoonbills at Isley before the group split up?

Paul..

EDIT: Just checked out your site......YES YOU DID GET THEM ;) :clap:

Last edited:
Working in Somerset tomorrow and Wednesday and will probalby try for Cattle Egret at Budleigh as I have relatives there. Anyone help me with whereabouts of 'White Bridge'. From map I see South Farm Rd cuts across the estuary - is the bridge on this road the afore mentioned White Bridge?

Many thanks

PhilW said:
Working in Somerset tomorrow and Wednesday and will probalby try for Cattle Egret at Budleigh as I have relatives there. Anyone help me with whereabouts of 'White Bridge'. From map I see South Farm Rd cuts across the estuary - is the bridge on this road the afore mentioned White Bridge?

Many thanks

Yes that's the one. There are footpaths both up and down the river from the
bridge. There is plenty of parking just over the bridge. Roger

Any directions for birding Goodrington fellows? Heard its good for divers and grebes and need a couple of these chaps to round off the year list and make sure i finish ahead of my esteemed colleage.

Any hints gratefully recieved.

James

The Firecrest said:
Esteemed colleage being Gavin? Though he only did Seaton stuff! ;)
That's right, Firecrest. My bins and scope stop working if I leave the Seaton area, my ID skills wither and die, and I have to resort to stringing....or looking at stuff someone else has ID'd ;)

Actually, I suspect James knows at least 2 Gavins. He may even mean Fraser?

Gavin Haig said:
That's right, Firecrest. My bins and scope stop working if I leave the Seaton area, my ID skills wither and die, and I have to resort to stringing!
So the Murrelet is a fake on your list? ;)
But wasn't there that infamous event of you coming to the Exe? And what about the Cattle Egret?
Honestly, these days...... ;)

Got the Cattle Egret early this morning on the west side of the fields north of South Farm Road just before it was disturbed by a lady walking along the ditch with a clip board. Thanks for the info.

Gavin Haig said:
That's right, Firecrest. My bins and scope stop working if I leave the Seaton area, my ID skills wither and die, and I have to resort to stringing....or looking at stuff someone else has ID'd ;)

Actually, I suspect James knows at least 2 Gavins. He may even mean Fraser?

I know three Gavins actually. Nope - four.

Quick diversion up the Otter at lunch revealed the cattel egret in aquaduct field with seven other egrets. On way back I was on the lookout for a firecrest which had been seen over the weekend. To my surprise i caught up with the little fellow in bramble on the raodside at white bridge - uncanny! Normally when I look specifically for something, I see anything but. Great. But apologies to Fraser who saw the cattle egret at the weekend but didn't catch up with the 'crest.

James

Last edited:
Mark said:
The Long Tailed Duck was still present on the Kingsbridge Estuary this afternoon. As Perry said it is a cracking male with a long tail...very impressive indeed. As per usual, it is spending more time under the water than on top, but was showing pretty well at times.
A look at Slapton lower ley in a strenghtening wind only produced 4 fem/imm Ruddy Ducks ,the rest presumably sheltering in the reeds. I also had quite a long look from the bridge, which failed to add Marsh Harrier, though there were still 2 there two days ago according to the log book

Mark
I've registered here in an attempt to contact you after many years
Richard

A quick look at Broadsands this pm. Reward - the best views of a Great Northern Diver I think I'll ever have in my life! Incredibly close, could clearly see its eye, even without bins. With bins - wow! Then I set up the scope. Could see every feather, what a bird.
Also a RB Merganser, 2 Rock Pipits, 2 Ravens, 5 Pied Wagtails, and 8+ Cormorants.
Only there for 20 minutes, but worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back