• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon Birding (15 Viewers)

Saltram bird

That's not a big bird.
Maybe a sparrowhawk?
Chris

Hi Chris (and Mark)

My apologies, but only now have I realised that, in my original post, I meant to say the bird I saw at Saltram looked noticeably LARGER than the Buzzards mobbing it, hence the Osprey questionmark... my intial brief "side-on" view doing nothing to help me, until it wheeled away in the distance.

So I am still not sure whether it was simply a large pale-phase Buzzard or the said Osprey.

As an honest birder, as we all are, I'll mark it down as the former - but maybe a well-fed one. The McDonalds near the Sainsbury's roundabout (as I call it) isn't that far away after all !

Cheers (and happy 2010 birding to both of you)

Andy

Andy,

Can you remember the way it held its wings when it 'wheeled away'?

Ospreys have a very gull like silhouette in level flight when viewed head on. Buzzards are mostly flat in level flight. I can't remember seeing an osprey soaring - but I doubt they go into as deep a V as the buzzard.

First time I caught up with an Osprey on the Exe, the other half was asking what one should look like in the distance.. A bit like that big gull flying in now I said... except it wasn't a GBBG... it was the Osprey.

Cheers,
Matt

That bird !

Andy,

Can you remember the way it held its wings when it 'wheeled away'?

Ospreys have a very gull like silhouette in level flight when viewed head on. Buzzards are mostly flat in level flight. I can't remember seeing an osprey soaring - but I doubt they go into as deep a V as the buzzard.

First time I caught up with an Osprey on the Exe, the other half was asking what one should look like in the distance.. A bit like that big gull flying in now I said... except it wasn't a GBBG... it was the Osprey.

Cheers,
Matt

Hi Matt

No front-on view at all unfortunately ... and funnily enough, when I took up birding three or four years ago, I was always told to look for "long-winged bulky gulls" as an ID-help with Ospreys.

Cheers

Andy

Hi all went to Start point at the weekend, saw 3 swallows and a wheater, must be spring again! The wheater was a real bueaty, a male, bright eyed, looking for a female. Real nice to see.

Hi all went to Start point at the weekend, saw 3 swallows and a wheater, must be spring again! The wheater was a real bueaty, a male, bright eyed, looking for a female. Real nice to see.
Hi,
was thinking of going down there on Friday, haven't seen a Wheatear this year yet, may still just go down to Exminster to try and see the Spoonbill and Bittern though, decisions!
Cheers.B :)

Nice to see Wheatears back on Skern although I only saw one pair this morning.

Attachments

• wheatear1.jpg
    wheatear1.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 47
  • wheatear2.jpg
    wheatear2.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 54
Green Sandpiper in drainage ditch between sewage farm and field next to Resrv;

There were 3 Ruff and a Common Sandpiper in this area last week, it seems to be an attractive spot...

1 male Red-breasted Merganser on R.Taw just off Bradiford Water.

2 males and 2 females present there yesterday. Also 42 Bar Tailed Godwits, 5 Ringed Plover and a Sanderling.

Today, Wheatear at Instow cricket pitch. Chiff Chaffs and Sand Martins everywhere and a smart male Blackcap at Fremington Pill.

Surfing this afternoon at Westward Ho! 2 Sandwich Terns feeding and a very curious Bottlenose Dolphin bumped me then swam around my legs for a couple of minutes.

Never mind the Sandwich Terns, that's a quality experience!

Bottlenose Dolphins are pretty big aren't they?

Jon

They can grow to about 4m but I think the nearshore populations are usually smaller. This wasn't a big individual, under 2m. I saw it feeding, briefly from a distance and assumed it was a Harbour Porpoise (they are quite frequent out there), but then I had a good view of the face/beak and dorsal when it popped up about 50cm from my board!

An awesome experience, I've been surfing all my life waiting for that to happen!

Hi birders,

Had a great day today, went to Exminster and spotted the Spoonbill straight away. Then went on to Topsham and an Osprey was on the white post visible from the hide chomping on a big old fish, it was a cracker!! Also a Willow Warbler in the hedge near the hide!!

Good Day.....B :)

Mark.

Hello,

That willow warbler @ Bowling green was singing this morning! The Osprey was eating a fish on a post (viewed from the platform by the Clyst) before flying towards Dawlish Warren.

(Nice selection of rock loving ferns on the wall at Goat walk)

Alpine swift showed nicely at Lower Bruckland ponds - my fourth in Devon and my fourth at this site!

Garganey proved difficult at Budleigh, until we walked back from where they were 'supposed to be' and they were showing well in an open ditch second field up from Whites bridge. Cettis calling there (and showing briefly).

More days like this one please :)

Hello,

That willow warbler @ Bowling green was singing this morning! The Osprey was eating a fish on a post (viewed from the platform by the Clyst) before flying towards Dawlish Warren.

(Nice selection of rock loving ferns on the wall at Goat walk)

Alpine swift showed nicely at Lower Bruckland ponds - my fourth in Devon and my fourth at this site!

Garganey proved difficult at Budleigh, until we walked back from where they were 'supposed to be' and they were showing well in an open ditch second field up from Whites bridge. Cettis calling there (and showing briefly).

More days like this one please :)

Well done Matt...awesome day for you!! Wasnt 100% if it was a Chiff or a willow warbler, glad you confirmed that!
Its been great the last couple of days I agree, the Ospey was awesome!! On the tall white post again was he?
Cheers, Mark.

The 'tall white post' is the crane from the disused stone barge on the River Clyst - looks a bit like a two-part yacht mast. From the hide at Bowling Green, its at the back on the right. Its the favourite spot for Ospreys to munch their lunch - when not occupied by Osprey there's often a Cormorant sitting on it.

The 'tall white post' is the crane from the disused stone barge on the River Clyst - looks a bit like a two-part yacht mast. From the hide at Bowling Green, its at the back on the right. Its the favourite spot for Ospreys to munch their lunch - when not occupied by Osprey there's often a Cormorant sitting on it.

I think I know where you mean now, thanks for that, hope he is around today, thanks again

Hi guys,
David did you see the Osprey, heard its still hanging about?
Went to The Turf today, not alot out on the water, but saw lots of Chiff Chaffs and some Cettis Warbler, so not all bad.
Gonna try for Crossbills at a different location, Ideford Common near Teignmouth, its a bit closer to me! :smoke:

Cheers
Mark.

Whilst trawling through BirdGuides species list tonight I came across this........

"Barnstaple - An adult Ring-billed Gull has wintered in the Barnstaple/Bideford area since December 1988 and is generally present from mid August until late April. It favours the lorry park and Leisure Centre car park on the south side of the river in Barnstaple."

Does anyone know if this is still the case?

Whilst trawling through BirdGuides species list tonight I came across this........

"Barnstaple - An adult Ring-billed Gull has wintered in the Barnstaple/Bideford area since December 1988 and is generally present from mid August until late April. It favours the lorry park and Leisure Centre car park on the south side of the river in Barnstaple."

Does anyone know if this is still the case?

Lots of the stuff on birdguides is a bit out of date. Your RBG would have to be 22 years old plus (not impossible) but I think it's gone. I'm sure someone will know when it was last seen.

Lots of the stuff on birdguides is a bit out of date. Your RBG would have to be 22 years old plus (not impossible) but I think it's gone. I'm sure someone will know when it was last seen.

The latest report I can find is from 2007 at Pottington. It could be easy to spot though, just look for the gull with a long beard. ;)

Last edited:
Two Wheatears seen from the canal west of Halberton thanks to Ray Jones. Also a Swallow over the canal. Sunshine too. Can't be all bad!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back