• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon Birding (16 Viewers)

Looks like it's just west of us.....phew!!!!!

I for one know nothing about this one anyway.

EDIT: Thinking again, could it be the Otter bird? That was seen in Oct at least wasn't it?

Last edited:
Otter bird was there for a long while - but not recently ie since Oct - and that square has only appeared in the last week or so!

If it is still there it has not otherwise been reported and that sort of thing doesn't happen in Devon surely...

Was seawatching at Hope's Nose today from 0900 to 1400. I'd narrowly decided not to go last Sunday and do assorted jobs I'd not done on Saturday instead, and have been duly kicking myself [ that Pom was gloriously spooned, I'm sure! ;) ]. The weather turned out better than the forecast had looked; with nice squall lines coming through but with only drizzle in them so I didn't get soggy. If anything it was a bit too good - there were auks everywhere! 1000+, 90% Guillemot, all over the sea and passing in groups of up to 30 [ 3/4 going S ] A count between 0945 and 1000 gave 71 S, but this was after the peak numbers [ I have but one pair of hands, and had too much to look at to dig my clicker out any earlier.. :-C ] and I did get interrupted twice.. At 1145 there were 222 on the Ore Stone [ at the same time 247 G. Black-backed were also on the Stone ] at 1345 143 were still huddled together there. That's the limit of my auk-tallying, I'm afraid!
In my defence, as well as the numbers, [ not a binocular field auk-less when I got there ] I was a little distracted by the Balearic Shearwaters that kept flying around... :-O 9 of them. As soon as I arrived, I saw a Gannet heading S in the middle channel, bins up, a nice adult-it got overtaken by a Balearic, with another one following! :t: 2 more S at 0910, one with dark underwings at 0950 that changed its mind and went back N, an all dark one S at 0955, one S at 1007 that came back N at 1015 and circled so close that I could id it without optics :eek!: , than just to cap it - 2 S at 1055, one of which circled a couple of times before landing on the water :eek!: :-O , it got harrassed by a 2w Black-headed Gull, took off and easily outpaced the gull, then settled again for about 30 seconds, posing wonderfully, before continuing S. Wow. I mean, wow. You see pics of shearwaters sitting by fishing boats and pelagics way out at sea, but less than 100' from the shore?!? B :)
Also - 2 Grey Seal, single Black-throated and Great Northen Divers on the sea to the N, a 1w Red-throated Diver S, an ad. Little Gull N, 2 Skua sp. S, a Puffin on the sea to the N, 2 G C Grebes N, 2 Med Gull S [ ad. and 1w ], 50+ Gannet [ a 2w and a 4w, the rest ad ] S, 150+ Kittiwake [ only half a dozen 1w - though nicely worn and good practice ], 30+ Fulmar S, 3+ Rockit incl. a Littoralis type keeping a close eye on my lunch.
Good day.

Otter bird was there for a long while - but not recently ie since Oct - and that square has only appeared in the last week or so!

If it is still there it has not otherwise been reported and that sort of thing doesn't happen in Devon surely...
don't you believe it!!

Beesands / Slapton

Did the WeBS count at Beesands Ley this morning. 120 Pochard was a good count. Also saw 44 Gadwall and a couple Teal. Just 3 Tufted Duck on the ley. Unusual was a Coot on the sea. Oh, almost forgot, puke-crested Pochard still there !
In Start Bay off the midway car park along Torcross Line were single Common Scoter and Eider with a flock of 8 Velvet Scoter nearby.

Attachments

• DSCN2639.jpg
    DSCN2639.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 80
Lucky enough to catch up with the female Marsh Harrier today at Slapton. Initially watched at very close range for 10 minutes in Stokeley Bay and then later for 25 minutes up and down the Higher Ley giving fantastic views. Also the 8 Velvet Scoters offshore and a female Ruddy Duck on the ley.

At Bowling Green this afternoon. Plenty of ducks about - especially Wigeon and Teal - also 12 Pintail, 17 Shovelor, 7 Pochard, 2 Tuftie, and 11 Shelduck. The Greylag and a Farm Goose were with the Canade horde, a Cormorant fished briefly, 2 Little Grebe bobbed about, and 100+ Brent flew over S. As the tide came in, wader numbers increased nicely, the large Blackwit and small Dunlin flocks being joined by 300+ Avocet, 100+ Barwit, 40+ Redshank, 3 Curlew, 4 Greenshank, and a Knot. The Long-billed Dowitcher showed briefly, before being pecked by a Redshank and scurrying out of view. A Spotshank was more obliging, showing very well on the far shore, then around the small pools to the right of the hide. Several minutes of jitters verging on panic among the flocks were explained when 2 Peregrine were spotted, cruising over high, heading S. A paleish Buzzard spent most of the afternoon sat in an oak tree on the right, causing nowhere near as much fear. Finally leaving when the light went, much to my surprise a medium-sized Bat sp. flew past me down Bowling Green Lane. They were saying on the weather forecast that it was as warm as the April average, and I guess the bats agree! ;)

2 Cattle Egrets still present at Exmouth at 1617hrs. They were in the field with the red Devon cattle (and 17 Little Egrets) west of the A376, opposite the speed camera.

I am hopefuuly going to be down on the Bowling Green at Topsham on Monday, does anybody know if the Long Billed Dowitcher still there. With my luck it will probably leave on sunday.

Stu

I am hopefuuly going to be down on the Bowling Green at Topsham on Monday, does anybody know if the Long Billed Dowitcher still there. With my luck it will probably leave on sunday.

Stu

Stu,

Apparently it was seen from the viewing platform, looking over the Clyst Estuary today. Also one Spotted Redshank there too. High Tide will be at a fairly reasonable hour so check from the hide first. Don't forget the Surf Scoter off Dawlish warren/ Exmouth too!

Terry

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the help just keep my fingers crossed now,

Terry
Had luck with the Spotted Redshank they are in and around Fremington Quay /Isley Marsh area although not on year list yet.
Cheers Stu

Firecrest

Firecrest at Squabmoor yesterday by the paking area amongst the trees.Bird was at the entrance on opposite side of road in and around the big Holly tree/bush and it was a stonking bird also 20+ Lesser Redpol in area.

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back