• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon Birding (4 Viewers)

The male Penduline Tit still present today at Youngs Park in Paignton and showing incredibly well down to 10 yards in the brambles and trees between the boardwalk and railway line. Heard singing and calling constantly. Nearby 2 Sandwich Terns in Torbay between Preston and Paignton. Also yesterday a Swallow and 25 Sand Martins at Rackerhays in Newton Abbot.

The male Penduline Tit still showing very well this morning, feeding on the bullrushes viewed from the end of the boardwalk in Youngs Park. Once again calling all the time, wonder if this means he is about to go? Interestingly, didn't show up again until about 9.30am, so presumably still roosting at Clennon Valley and returning to Youngs Park each morning.

Nearby, a family party of Egyptian Geese, 2 adults and 5 young in Bow Creek on the River Dart and a Muscovy Duck there as well.

Last edited:
Four Sandwich Terns on the estuary off Powderham as well as five Mergansers. Two Bar-headed Geese inside the park too.

One House Martin and three Sand Martins seen during a walk between Powderham and Exeter.

Three drake Goosanders on the Exe just south of Tiverton.

The Little Gull was still at Southcott Valley yesterday along with 4 Swallow's. My first visit to Weare Woods produced one of those rare moments that had me scratching my head, whilst watching 6 Swallows flying in the sheltered valley a group of 12 Fieldfare came through from tree top to tree top, it left me thinking one of these 2 really shouldn't be here!

Last night still a male Tufted Duck on Wrafton pond, and lots of Sand martins with at least 20 Swallows over the water. This morning, no hirundines but at least 3 singing Willow Warblers.

Jon

A lone Swallow back at it's breeding site today wondering where everyone else was.

Plenty of birds building nests too. Time to put myself on Wheatear alert which means weeks of walking for miles scanning ploughed fields just to get one extra tick on the canal year list. Love it though.

Spent an interesting couple of hours on the Skern last night, on arrival I was supprised by the lack of any Waders this was soon explained by the presence of a Peregrine sat on the mudflats. Undetered I stayed on to see what unfolded and count what was present. The evening moved on and to my delight a female Merlin landed on a sign post only 25 yards from me not a first but I have never seen one on what is my home patch.

3 snipe, 3 green sand, 1 redshank, a black tailed godwit and 2 shoveller plus plenty of teal on the Matford scrape yesterday - couldn't get a exact fix on teal as I was in a traffic jam on the approach to the roundabout, so only had time to scan with the bins before the police moved me on. Causing an obstruction or some such nonsense?

Also, plenty of wheatear on The Maer on Exmouth seafront. Apologies to anyone visiting for the state of the noticeboard - graffiti - a replacement is on its way.

James

Another excellent find by Andrew this morning, a Long-eared Owl roosting in the first pine tree south of the road bridge over the Grand Western Canal by Rock House. This is mid way between Sampford Peverell and Halberton at ST017131.
Roger

Attachments

• LEO09 013#001.jpg
    LEO09 013#001.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 77
Went along to Dawlish Warren this mornning to tick off willow warblers from this years list and found people all watching another Long Eared Owl. First I've actually seen!

Long-eared owl still showing well at noon. Hopefully it has a favoured roost now.

Between Tivvy and Sampford Peverell on the canal there were also 3 Siskin, 3 Willow Warbler, 2 Brambling (good canal bird), female Blackcap, Malcolm (the Mandarin Duck), a Chiffchaff, and two Swallows.

Seen the pics of the Warren bird and I think mine looks like it has a little bit more va-va-voom! 3:)

Attachments

• Long-eared Owl, 4th April 2009.jpg
    Long-eared Owl, 4th April 2009.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 67
Great find Andrew, well done mate.What with the Rafa's army fluking it in the last minute you must have had a good day.:t:

An Osprey this afternoon happily eating a very large fish on top of the boat mast on the River Clyst, viewable from Bowling Green.

dont know if anyone can shed any light for me on this?

Was in the car heading from totnes, through dartington and to the motorway and was going along by the railway/river and saw two guys with cameras, altho one had a video camera on a tripod

Dont know if anyone knows if this was a bird related thing, or just some random council stuff, but i did notice that there wasnt any council cars about, but yeah, if anyone knows would be cool

The steam railway runs from Buckfastliegh, through Staverton to Totnes and this morning there was a large group of Railway enthusiasts filming and taking photos of them in the area you describe and down at Staverton railway station. I see them there most bank holidays, standing around hoping to catch a glimpse and photo a rare specimen. Remind you of anyone you know? At least they know where and when their "sighting" will occur if they look at the timetable!
The most interesting thing in the area at the moment birding wise are the Goosanders - 3 pairs, which can sometime be seen on the river from the bridge by the station.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back