• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon Birding (1 Viewer)

Had a great day at Farne islands last week, got some good pics but heres my favourite!Arctictern.jpeg

Cheers all, and thanks for the directions to Yarner guys will give it another go!

MB :)ark.

Top sighting for me yesterday was a cuckoo flying low over Cullompton Cricket Club at about four in the afternoon. I was so chuffed to see one this year I didn't mind the fact we played terribly and lost to CCC!
James

Top sighting for me yesterday was a cuckoo flying low over Cullompton Cricket Club at about four in the afternoon. I was so chuffed to see one this year I didn't mind the fact we played terribly and lost to CCC!
James

That is so close to the canal I now wonder what if! :C

Mandarins in North Devon

Two pairs spotted this evening.:t::t:

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 72
Been down to the river edge tonight and one pair are still there with a few mallards.
On the coast path just past Appledore ship yard. where the bank/ path has been reconstructed, there are some pools on the right hand side.
Or from Bloody corner, Northam, down to the rivers edge turn left past the house, as you get to the first right hand corner the ducks are tucked in on the left hand side.

Very timid but stay close enough to photograph without stressing.
Sandymere

Hi everyone,

We are doing the family holiday thing to North Devon (Croyde area) last 2 weeks of June this year - hoping to slope off to do a day or 2's birding in amongst - has anyone got any suggestions for good places to visit both local to that area and further afield.

particularly:

seabirds
is Lundy worth a visit
best palce(s) to see the Cirl Bunts/Dartford Warbler in S Devon
Any Chough in the county
anything unusual floating about at the present time

Any help at all would be much appreciated/anything at all sensitive please pm me.

All the best.

hi Mate,

The county is pretty big, with slow roads, so not sure you can do you're wish list unless you have a very understanding family.

seabirds - any stretch of jutting-out cliff.

is Lundy worth a visit - yes, if you have the whole day to yourself, and if you want to do some birding, spend a night or two.

best palce(s) to see the Cirl Bunts/Dartford Warbler in S Devon - Cirls in torbay, 1.5 hours away, dartfords a bit closer on pebblebeds 1 hrs away, sure there's closer to Croyde, but that's my gen.

Any Chough in the county, Cornwall closest as far as I know. Close as the Cirls though.

Have a great time, if you fancy sloping off for birding but finding your way to a nice pub - let me know and i've got a far greater range of gen for these establishments than for bird sites...

James

Hi everyone,

We are doing the family holiday thing to North Devon (Croyde area) last 2 weeks of June this year - hoping to slope off to do a day or 2's birding in amongst - has anyone got any suggestions for good places to visit both local to that area and further afield.

particularly:

seabirds
is Lundy worth a visit
best palce(s) to see the Cirl Bunts/Dartford Warbler in S Devon
Any Chough in the county
anything unusual floating about at the present time

Any help at all would be much appreciated/anything at all sensitive please pm me.

All the best.

is Lundy worth a visit - yes, if you have the whole day to yourself, and if you want to do some birding, spend a night or two.

James

Suddenly Lundy became a little more exciting - do you want me to mention some other venues?!!!

Thanks very much for the info James - any thoughts on which of the Torbay area sites would be best. Looking at the map I may combine with a visit to RSPB Aylesbeare Common for Dartfords.

If the Little Shearwater sticks might just 'phone a divorce lawyer and camp out on Lundy for a few days.....

Pub info would be much appreciated btw.

Best

Hi Rob, Firstly pubs. If you are schlepping all the way down to Aylesbeare, then you may as well duck in to Topsham and enjoy a pint in the finest pub in the UK, the Bridge Inn. You will only kick yourself that you can't spend the night! Up near Croyde, the pub at Rackenford is meant to be great, but I've never been. Lundy pub gen is easy as there's only the one, but what a place!

If you could mention a few places which come under my watch, and a UK mega turns up the next day it would make my life very nice - Seaton and the Axe estuary, Fire Beacon Hill, Exmouth LNR, all dear to my heart and twitching would constitute office time!

Have a great time,
James

I was lucky enought to see the Red Footed Falcon on Exminster marshes this afternoon. It was sat on top of a bush, equidistant between the RSPB car park and the viewing platform. It's head was the colour of clotted cream with a dark eye patch, its chest was a lighter cream and it had dark grey wings. From a distance my first impresion was that it was not disimilar to a large yellowhammer but once you had the scope on it its detail could be seen clearly. Well worth a vist if its around again tomorrow.

The Falcon showed well this evening perched in or around a bushnear the lagoon and dropping down for critters. First seen from the lane but I found the railway path best with the evening sun off my back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back