• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon Birding (17 Viewers)

Hoopoe

The Hoopoe still near Soar around Southdown Farm this afternoon, but only seen between 12 and 12.45 and then again between 3.30 and 4pm. Incredibly wary and mobile and mostly seen just in flight.

Hi all

Random sighting of the day from Wembury in the form of two Slav Grebe (my first grebe of any variety here). One was almost in full summer plumage but the other was a little further behind. To add to the randomness, they were feeding together with a Guillemot which is also my first live record here.

O

Just taken a call from James on Lundy, he saw what he considered to be a female Blue Rock Thrush at 3/4 wall this afternoon at about 1.30. The Oldenburg leaves at 08.00 tomorrow.....

Jon

Thanks Jon. I've not usually had much luck with Lundy in the past .. but the weather isn't looking too bad is it... Plus there is always the chance of risso's or some such..

I take it this isn't going out on the national pagers/lines yet though? Not even as a single obs?

Thanks Jon. I've not usually had much luck with Lundy in the past .. but the weather isn't looking too bad is it... Plus there is always the chance of risso's or some such..

I take it this isn't going out on the national pagers/lines yet though? Not even as a single obs?

It's on Birdguides and Surfbirds as a possible

Jon

Well as you may have surmised I didn't relocate a blue rock thrush on Lundy today. I can't say that a couple of birders haphazardly checking the Island on a day trip clearly rules it out either :)

Didn't see anything that rare - but it was a very pleasant day anyhow. Very mild sea state for the crossing over and back. Fantastic views of a female merlin hunting very close and low by three quarters wall. Plus the usual nesting sea-birds including puffin, and lots and lots of wheaters on the plateux, good numbers of phylloscs in the bushes. Also lundy cabbage just about to flower, some interesting ferns, plenty of grey seals and a couple of harbour porpoises and hundreds of manxies on the crossing.

A nice day.

Fulmars!!!

I live in an apartment in westward Ho! And whilst having my normal coffeeon the balcony this morning I had 2 fulmars flying around just above me no more than fifty yards above. I've been there nearly 2 years and never seen one antwhere near before is it unusual for them to be flying around a village like that?

Cheers Darryl

I live in an apartment in westward Ho! And whilst having my normal coffeeon the balcony this morning I had 2 fulmars flying around just above me no more than fifty yards above. I've been there nearly 2 years and never seen one antwhere near before is it unusual for them to be flying around a village like that?

Cheers Darryl

Hi Darryl,

I saw them this morning as well. Went looking for Grasshopper and Dartford Warblers along the coastal footpath at about 07:00 but none about. There must have been up to 30 dog walkers though! Is there anywhere in N.Devon where you can go and get away from them and do a bit of peaceful birding?
The wardens at Arlington told me a few days ago that they`re having problems out there as well with dogs. They`ve already lost 7 sheep this year due to dog attacks.

The only thing that brightened my morning was a cracking male bullfinch.

The sea was like a millpond so anyone chasing Jimmy Leonard`s female blue Rock Thrush around 3/4 wall on Lundy would have had a good crossing.
Maurice

Last edited:

Cheers Darryl

Hi Darryl,
I managed to get one shot of one as it flew over me.

Attachments

• Fulmar.jpg
    Fulmar.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 78
Well as you may have surmised I didn't relocate a blue rock thrush on Lundy today. I can't say that a couple of birders haphazardly checking the Island on a day trip clearly rules it out either :)

Didn't see anything that rare - but it was a very pleasant day anyhow. Very mild sea state for the crossing over and back. Fantastic views of a female merlin hunting very close and low by three quarters wall. Plus the usual nesting sea-birds including puffin, and lots and lots of wheaters on the plateux, good numbers of phylloscs in the bushes. Also lundy cabbage just about to flower, some interesting ferns, plenty of grey seals and a couple of harbour porpoises and hundreds of manxies on the crossing.

A nice day.

It is now being reported again 'on the West side'. James tells me that Mike Langman is on the island, so if it is there I'm sure he will nail it!

Wryneck too!

Jon

Glad I put a caveat in :)

Its a fair sized Island, I hope it stays till the next weekend, and then maybe a few more birders will chance their arm. Its a good day trip anyhow.

Hi all,
Exminster marshes today turned out at least 4 Cettis warbler, 6 blackcap, Sedge Warbler, which I snapped after much stalking!! and some Reed Bunting, went there at 7am it was alive down there and some great chorus going on!!
Cheers,,B :)sw2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back