• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon Birding (10 Viewers)

Did a BBS on Haldon yesterday. Most of the 'good' birds were just outside the square: just one Turtle Dove (let's hope there will be more later), two Tree Pipits in song (also a low number for this area), and finally a couple of Crossbills back at the car.
However it was good to find so many Goldcrests singing after the winter we've had - Wrens in good numbers too.

Did an Atlas TTV later (Berry Pomeroy Castle area). Nothing special but a good number of Blackcaps singing (Chiffchaffs too, but no other warblers yet, things still running late this year because of the wind direction ?).

Last edited:
I wonder who saw the Red-rumped Swallow over Landkey today. As per Birdguides.

If it stays, I'll drive out to look!

Report of singing Grasshopper Warbler at Woolacombe today. Not much at Baggy, except two displaying Wheatears.

Jon

First Swift late this morning over Velator fields. Plenty of Sedge Warblers singing in the reedbed, and the farmer is checking all his fences before (I hope) releasing some cattle into the fields - these usually attract Yellow Wagtails, and more Hirundines.

Jon

I wonder who saw the Red-rumped Swallow over Landkey today. As per Birdguides.

If it stays, I'll drive out to look!

Report of singing Grasshopper Warbler at Woolacombe today. Not much at Baggy, except two displaying Wheatears.

Jon

Andy Lansdell(?) who lives in Landkey said that it wasn`t him! In fact he thought it had been seen more over Barnstaple, when I spoke to him yesterday out at Sherpa Marsh. We were both looking for the same birds, yellow wags and garganey. None I`m afraid. There was a pochard on Wrafton pond and a pair out on Sherpa pond.
Jimmy Leonard saw an early morning swift over Wrafton pond yesterday.
Maurice

Andy Lansdell(?) who lives in Landkey said that it wasn`t him! In fact he thought it had been seen more over Barnstaple, when I spoke to him yesterday out at Sherpa Marsh. We were both looking for the same birds, yellow wags and garganey. None I`m afraid. There was a pochard on Wrafton pond and a pair out on Sherpa pond.
Jimmy Leonard saw an early morning swift over Wrafton pond yesterday.
Maurice

Hmm, no closer to finding the culprit then!

Yes saw the three Pochard yesterday, there was a lone male Shoveler which flew off! Also saw the Swift. No sound of Grasshopper Warbler either.

Will this rain bring something in?

Jon

Over the weekend - Redstart and gropper singing near Challacombe farm. Winchat and cuckoo nearby at headland Warren. Pied fly and wood warbler at Yarner. Very brief view of a standard yellow wagtail (and a couple of white wagtails) at South Huish.

Dipped the Kentish plover twice at Dawlish Warren ! ! !

Sedge, Reed and Whitethroat all in and singing. Sedge and Reed song can be compared by walking around the pond.

:-C
Over the weekend - Redstart and gropper singing near Challacombe farm. Winchat and cuckoo nearby at headland Warren. Pied fly and wood warbler at Yarner. Very brief view of a standard yellow wagtail (and a couple of white wagtails) at South Huish.

Dipped the Kentish plover twice at Dawlish Warren ! ! !

Sedge, Reed and Whitethroat all in and singing. Sedge and Reed song can be compared by walking around the pond.

Drove around for an hour looking for Yarner wood!!! Couldnt find it, used google directions then improvised, think I did a huge circle around it then got annoyed and went home, couldnt see any sign posts either.

The only sign for Yarner is at the entrance, and you can't read it while driving as the writing's too small!

Directions;
Coming from Exeter, turn off the A38 for Bovey Tracy, go along the Bovey bypass to the roundabout with the stone jenga in the middle, turn left [marked Haytor and Becky Falls, I think], a few hundred metres after the entrance to Parke [National Park HQ, on the right] the road forks - take the right fork. Follow the road up and along until you come to a long downhill straight section, at the bottom the road bends sharp left, then starts a climbing right turn. The entrance to Yarner is on the left, its a narrow tarmac single-track road. If the car park is full, keep following the road until it levels off - there are several small car parks on the right, you can cross the road and enter Yarner on foot.

Morning all,

A Purple Heron was reported on RBA yesterday near Ottery St Mary, does anyone know any specifics? I'm not an RBA subscriber

Drove around for an hour looking for Yarner wood!!! Couldnt find it, used google directions then improvised, think I did a huge circle around it then got annoyed and went home, couldnt see any sign posts either.

I shall forward this info to relevant officer, very useful to know the site is hard to find!

James

I shall forward this info to relevant officer, very useful to know the site is hard to find!

James

There are now two prominent signs at the entrance to the track which say "East Dartmoor National Nature Reserve". The "Yarner Wood" sign is still there but it is set back a bit from the entrance although clearly visible. Roger

I wish...

..the black stork was a bit more predictable.

Spent Sunday evning till dusk with a few others without seeing it, and yet it was reported briefly again on Monday.

I wish...

..the black stork was a bit more predictable.

Spent Sunday evning till dusk with a few others without seeing it, and yet it was reported briefly again on Monday.

and no sign this morning from dawn till 9am, so it is clearly not roosting there but perhaps just intermittently coming back to feed.

Thousands of Swallows and House Martins at Slapton Ley this evening. Amongst them a House Martin minus a tail which looked strange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back