• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon Information (2 Viewers)

a_j_steele

In the middle of may I got a couple of days in Devon and hopping to see Cirl Bunting, Nightjar, Dippers and maybe Ring Ouzels which I am hopping I should be able to see in Dartmoor or Exmoor but was wondering where the best places to see some of these as especially with Cirl Bunting as alot of the information seems geared up to winter visits.

Many thanks

In the middle of may I got a couple of days in Devon and hopping to see Cirl Bunting, Nightjar, Dippers and maybe Ring Ouzels which I am hopping I should be able to see in Dartmoor or Exmoor but was wondering where the best places to see some of these as especially with Cirl Bunting as alot of the information seems geared up to winter visits.

Many thanks
Last year when visiting I had:
Cirl Bunting - Berry Head and Labrador Bay
Nightjar - Aylesbere Common and Ideford Common
Ring Ouzel around Emsworthy Mire but others migh know better locations
Dipper is easy in Tiverton but is in a horrible concrete culvert for the River Lowman, so if you want photo's not great

You should get some other great species at those locations as well

Cirl are impossible to miss in Labrador bay year round. Been in July and had them easily. The broadsands ones might be easier in winter than summer.

We get the other species you mentioned closer to home so I’ve never been to Devon for them sorry

I'm not local to Devon but spent a few days there over Easter and had Dipper on the river near Dunsford close to the road bridge along with Goosander, Grey Wagtail and an unexpected drake Mandarin. It's a nice walk.

Dave W

Users who are viewing this thread

Back