• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

DIGISCOPING WITH A SONY A6000/A6100 (1 Viewer)

David55

Scotland
Hello can anyone help me?
I am looking for advice on digiscoping equipment.
I have a Zeiss Harpia 95 scope and have been taking photos with my zoom compact camera by holding it up to the scope, also I have tried an Opticron smartphone adapter. Although I manage with these to get record shots I would like to do better.
I have been advised by Zeiss to use one of their Photo Lens Adapters and they have suggested getting a Sony A6000 (or even a 6100?) with a 35mm lens. I am considering doing this and wonder if anyone else has used this method or similar?
I have a limited budget and I don't live in an area where I could go and try this out in a shop so will have to purchase this before trying out.
Any advice/comments would be much appreciated.
David

Hello can anyone help me?
I am looking for advice on digiscoping equipment.
I have a Zeiss Harpia 95 scope and have been taking photos with my zoom compact camera by holding it up to the scope, also I have tried an Opticron smartphone adapter. Although I manage with these to get record shots I would like to do better.
I have been advised by Zeiss to use one of their Photo Lens Adapters and they have suggested getting a Sony A6000 (or even a 6100?) with a 35mm lens. I am considering doing this and wonder if anyone else has used this method or similar?
I have a limited budget and I don't live in an area where I could go and try this out in a shop so will have to purchase this before trying out.
Any advice/comments would be much appreciated.
David

I have the Swarovski STX95 + Digidapter universal adapter with the Sony A6600 + 24mm f2.8 FE lens. So far so good and I think should be ok with your setup too. The universal adapter fits many cameras + short lenses and really well made.

Attachments

• IMG20220320113151-01.jpg
    IMG20220320113151-01.jpg
    936.3 KB · Views: 67
I have the Swarovski STX95 + Digidapter universal adapter with the Sony A6600 + 24mm f2.8 FE lens. So far so good and I think should be ok with your setup too. The universal adapter fits many cameras + short lenses and really well made.
Thanks very much for this, sorry for the delay in replying.
It has been very difficult to get any Sony A6000 series cameras here in the UK (not sure if it's due to Brexit or microprocessor shortages....probably both).
I have managed to get a A6400. It came with a 16-50 kit lens, which was no good at all on my Harpia 95. After trying out some other lenses I now have a Sony 35mm f1.8 lens which seems to be doing the job, although I have yet to try it out properly.
Can you tell me what settings you use on your camera?

Thanks very much for this, sorry for the delay in replying.
It has been very difficult to get any Sony A6000 series cameras here in the UK (not sure if it's due to Brexit or microprocessor shortages....probably both).
I have managed to get a A6400. It came with a 16-50 kit lens, which was no good at all on my Harpia 95. After trying out some other lenses I now have a Sony 35mm f1.8 lens which seems to be doing the job, although I have yet to try it out properly.
Can you tell me what settings you use on your camera?

I turn on the Focus Peaking and Steady Shot and for High Speed mode, I usually used the mid setting. File size etc at highest setting including the 4k video

I turn on the Focus Peaking and Steady Shot and for High Speed mode, I usually used the mid setting. File size etc at highest setting including the 4k video
I haven't had the Steady Shot on as one site I looked at it said to turn it off, so Ill try that, thanks again.

The 16-50mm kit lens works great, you just have to zoom it until the vignetting goes away... Fixed lens might be better but I prefer to save the money to other items and like the flexibility of the zoom... I use it with my a6000 (I'm waiting for a new version with >= 33MP to update...), a Swaro X95 and now a X115, with the Swaro adapter for compact cameras that I manage to work with the a6000 with success. I tested a Harpia 95 and the camera worked well hand-held - you can see it at Harpia 95 vs. Swaro X95

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back